Felix Baumgartner

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Well, I am sitting in my Barcolounger watching the live broadcast of the Red Bull Stroatos project, which has Felix Baumgartner jumping out of a capsule beneath a ballon from an altitude of over 120,000 feet. I have to say that this guy has some serious balls to do this thing. He will [if successful] be the first and likely only human being to achieve the speed of sound [and survive] without the aid of propulsion. His sidekick, Joe Kittinger, jumped from 102,000 feet back in the '50's as part of the research in to how to outfit our astronauts during our nascent space program days.

I have actually touched some of the suits these guys wore during the Gemini and Apollo days when we were moving boxes and cases from a building we were to demolish. It's pretty cool to be able to interact with some of these artifacts from so long ago, and there will be more of that in the future.

Our next itteration of space travel will revert to teh more reliable rockets we used back in the day, meaning more frequent launches.

*EDIT*
It sucks that we can't fix the title when we type it in too fast.....like before the dialogue box is fully loaded, and then don't catch it. It makes me look like an idiot. Not that I might not actually BE an idiot, I just don't like looking like one.

; - )

Last edited:
I watched that jump live. Amazing above shot of him jumping off the platform and quickly becoming a far away dot.

Side note: if you really want a thread title changed you can ask a mod to change it for you.
:cheers:

Our next itteration of space travel will revert to teh more reliable rockets we used back in the day, meaning more frequent launches.

; - )

Do you really believe that in a world of peak EVERYTHING that we will continue any type of space program for much longer? I see the space program as an anomaly of the anthropocene era. Its been nice having oil for 100 years but now its over (and even though the entire world is contracting, no-one will believe it.) Oh yeah, it'll be around for a while longer, long after I'm gone, but just a blink in the history of mankind.

here's the part that alarms me (as I have children, therefore I'm part of the problem). I'm 53 years old. When I was 20 the world population was 3 billion. Thirty years later its perhaps 7 billion. No-one seems to be much concerned about this, though. The resource wars have already begun. Today Egypt is prepared to blow up Ethiopias dams over water:
http://www.businessinsider.com/hack...t-its-stake-in-the-nile-2012-10#ixzz29IbS51iI

and there is some kind of struggle going on everywhere over dwindling resources.

Nice jump though. He looked like he had had it when he landed (dropped to his knees for a moment, and I would think it was exhaustion, not prayer).

Remember the HALO guy that jumped but then drowned in the GOM?

Hey, another idiot watched this live as well !

You could feel the tension when Felix failed to reply to the first item on the pre jump list.

And why did his chute open when he was still higher than most freefall jumpers start out ?

A very cool and brave man.

I saw it too, it was amazing! 700+ MPH... 23+ Miles, that guys has some serious balls. I jumped about 1/10 the hieght he did on my recent skydive.

Hey, another idiot watched this live as well !

You could feel the tension when Felix failed to reply to the first item on the pre jump list.

And why did his chute open when he was still higher than most freefall jumpers start out ?

A very cool and brave man.

we started freaking when he started tumbling....

Some of these Austrian guys ARE amazing:

Felix Baumgartner -- jumped from nearly space!

Reinhardt Meissner (sp?) -- only one to climb Mt. Everest solo without oxygen.

Writes the Bearing who is scared just getting onto a plane...

:)

672169950.gif

There are some great interviews done with Felix shortly after recovery and back at Mission Control. this guy is pretty humble for having done what he did. It makes one feel good to know that thre are folks like this who just want to "settle down" with their girlfriend now and fly helicopter fire fighting missions"

Wow! He's going to go from balls of titanium to mere balls of steel. ; - )

Back
Top Bottom