"Free" education

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mike

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
On the Swedish news last night, they reported that less than half of the students that apply to college in Sweden get accepted.

Potential students are not getting turned down because of high standards; they're rejected because when the government offers something for "free" it has to be rationed.

Sorry I don't have a link or the actual number, but I believe it was like only 43 or 47% got accepted. It was less than 50% anyway.

Not a bad thing to ration higer education

This way you are more likely to get motivated students.

Used to be this way in the UK but now with student loans and a proliferation of colleges all chasing the money its kinda sad to see the end results.

Not a bad thing to ration higer education

This way you are more likely to get motivated students.

Used to be this way in the UK but now with student loans and a proliferation of colleges all chasing the money its kinda sad to see the end results.

But that's not the way it's sold to the public. We're told everyone has a right to "free" education, and it's one of the arguments Swedes use to rationalize the world's highest taxes. You can't tell everyone it's their right, and then deny them that right. Also, like I said, they're not be denied because they don't cut the mustard; they're denied because it's impossible to offer an entire country something for free- it doesn't work. There aren't enough resources.

Back
Top Bottom