A good cry over emminent domain

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you...ting-spirit-refused-sell-home-developers.html

Edith (right) was born in Oregon in 1921, but not much is known about her life. She told Barry stories from her past that seemed so extraordinary that he was never sure whether or not they were true. She said that she had been recruited by British intelligence as a music student and sent to Germany to spy on the Nazis.

That she was arrested and sent to Dachau concentration camp, but escaped, taking 13 children with her to England.

She said she had a son who died of meningitis at the age of 13, fathered by her lover, the Austrian tenor Richard Tauber (below right), and that she went on to marry James Macefield who had a plantation in Africa where they spent months at a time.

Richard Tauber
‘Was she making all this up? It didn’t help Edith one bit if I figured out whether or not these stories were true,’ says Barry.

‘If I was going to be her true friend, and steadfast, then I was going to have to accept Edith for who she was: someone who had changed my life by giving me the chance to be a better person. She opened up my world and challenged me to do the right thing, even if that sometimes meant just listening.’

Edith became a symbol of the power of one individual against corporations. In the process she became something of a folk hero, and her story is said to have inspired the opening scene of the Pixar film Up (below), in which an ageing widower’s home is similarly surrounded by a housing development.

Edith died, aged 86, on 15 June 2008 at home on the same couch on which her mother had died. She left her house to Barry and his family

We had a similar story here. A lady would not sell for a highway- and they made a traffic circle right around her house. It stood there till she passed. The road is reconfigured now- I think tho it was maybe better when the circle was there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you...ting-spirit-refused-sell-home-developers.html

Edith (right) was born in Oregon in 1921, but not much is known about her life. She told Barry stories from her past that seemed so extraordinary that he was never sure whether or not they were true. She said that she had been recruited by British intelligence as a music student and sent to Germany to spy on the Nazis.

That she was arrested and sent to Dachau concentration camp, but escaped, taking 13 children with her to England.

She said she had a son who died of meningitis at the age of 13, fathered by her lover, the Austrian tenor Richard Tauber (below right), and that she went on to marry James Macefield who had a plantation in Africa where they spent months at a time.

Richard Tauber
‘Was she making all this up? It didn’t help Edith one bit if I figured out whether or not these stories were true,’ says Barry.

‘If I was going to be her true friend, and steadfast, then I was going to have to accept Edith for who she was: someone who had changed my life by giving me the chance to be a better person. She opened up my world and challenged me to do the right thing, even if that sometimes meant just listening.’

Edith became a symbol of the power of one individual against corporations. In the process she became something of a folk hero, and her story is said to have inspired the opening scene of the Pixar film Up (below), in which an ageing widower’s home is similarly surrounded by a housing development.

Edith died, aged 86, on 15 June 2008 at home on the same couch on which her mother had died. She left her house to Barry and his family

my 12 year old and I watched the movie "UP" some years back, didn't know that this was what it was based on....

I suspect that there was a similar story in Portland, Oregon in the 60s or so.

Near Fremont and Sandy was the large Rose City Park Fred Meyer Store (a huge department/grocery store). On the west side there was a lone house surrounded on 3 sides with 2-story concrete walls. The store extended from Fremont on the north to Sandy on the south and from 68th on the west to about 69th on the east, except for the lonely house tucked into FM on 68th. The FM parking lot extended all the way to 72nd. I am guessing that the footprint of the FM building was about 50,000 square feet.

About 20 years ago, both FM and the house were demolished. A few years later a large building was constructed on the combined old FM and house building sites.

Back
Top Bottom