honey

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jay

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
stopped in the local honey place. One gallon of Fains honey that was 29.00 last spring is 40.00 now. Also "heard" its not all honey anymore. (read the labels, the commercial "honey" at the chicken places is hfc.)

We buy Indian River honey from a well known and very local source. Five pounds is twelve dollars. This equated to about half a gallon, as it is sold in a container that looks like a milk jug. In addition, it is raw honey, the only kind I'll consume. In pasteurized honey, I believe all the beneficial antimicrobial properties are destroyed. I transfer it to Ball jars and store it in quart size.

For the uninitiated, raw honey will store indefinitely. in fact, a jar of it was found in King Tuts tomb.

All my honey is farmed and processed in my back water state and that's the way I like it. I would like to get some hives on my BOL and the equipment to spin out the honey as well, but that's but one of many things on my want to do list.

It's a lot easier than you might think 11CIP. All of the grove owners around here have a few dozen hives, and when the citrus has been pollinated, they will send the hives out to Sanford and so forth to pollinate other crops. The guy I get mine from only uses them for citrus, so the honey is quite distinctive in flavor. The good thing about bee hives is that the maintenance is straightforward and simple. You simple need to get a single hive and set up several empty boxes with honey frames, and the bees will do the rest.

All my honey is farmed and processed in my back water state and that's the way I like it. I would like to get some hives on my BOL and the equipment to spin out the honey as well, but that's but one of many things on my want to do list.

probably ought to get them while there are some bees left...

We buy Indian River honey from a well known and very local source. Five pounds is twelve dollars. This equated to about half a gallon, as it is sold in a container that looks like a milk jug. In addition, it is raw honey, the only kind I'll consume. In pasteurized honey, I believe all the beneficial antimicrobial properties are destroyed. I transfer it to Ball jars and store it in quart size.

For the uninitiated, raw honey will store indefinitely. in fact, a jar of it was found in King Tuts tomb.

Fains used to be unadulterated. Not so sure anymore. Way more expensive, though. A jug is twelve pounds.

One-Third of All Honeybees Died Last Winter, and That's Not Even The Worst News
http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/bees/colony-collapse-disorder-census-0430

Wish I could get my neighbor who keeps bees on here - he lurks when I give him a link. Short answer: Yes, most honey for sale outside farmers markets is adulterated (and maybe some of that too). Bee keeping is getting harder to do for a variety of reasons. Not sure there's any magic destroyed by pasteurizing if it's done right - after all, it's there to kill micro-organisms. But sure, it could denature some low-concentration proteins along the way...don't have a clue, have had both sorts, and no difference noted in my own health.

On the other hand, the pure stuff I get from him sure makes the bread I make using that as the sweetener/yeast food - sure tastes better. Especially if I also use the eggs he produces.
Not legal to sell any of that here, but one advantage to living "nowhere" is there's no enforcement to speak of. Of course, it's not as "safe" but in this case - I've seen the operation and know the guy - it's safer than the store almost certainly. Attention to detail...something that is lacking in mass production.

The Proven Health Benefits of HONEY | Dr. Mandell​

Mar 28, 2022

18:11

Honey contains mostly sugar, as well as a mix of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, iron, zinc and antioxidants. In addition to its use as a natural sweetener, honey is used as an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial agent. People commonly use honey orally to treat coughs and topically to treat burns and promote wound healing. Please subscribe so you and your family can stay healthy and happy. / motivationaldoc

stopped in the local honey place. One gallon of Fains honey that was 29.00 last spring is 40.00 now. Also "heard" its not all honey anymore. (read the labels, the commercial "honey" at the chicken places is hfc.)
I think the bees must work a lot harder; hence the inflationary price gouging.

The wonderful thing about honey, is honey’s a wonderful thing. Winnie-the-Pooh’s words of wisdom about honey are more true than I first realized. The value of honey has been recognized for centuries thanks to its natural sweetness, preservation qualities, and health benefits. Researching this golden nectar has only deepened my appreciation for the product of those busy little bees. Here are some fascinating facts about honey bound to leave you buzzing with newfound appreciation for this remarkable gift from the bees.

Honey Water Test: Know If Your Honey Is Naturally Raw or Processed (Unhealthy) | Dr. Mandell​

Apr 4, 2024

Honey has many healing medicinal properties for the body. There are many different kinds of honey, although many consumers are mistakenly buying processed honey and are not getting the health benefits. I will show you a great trick you can do at home and know in seconds, if it's healthy honey or processed non-healthy honey.

4:32

Couldn’t see the difference in his demonstration

Back
Top Bottom