I am officially a multi-trillionaire!!!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
(In defunct Zimbabwe notes!)

I just received a few of these in the mail. I like to collect, other than PMs, things related to PMs and fiat-failure items.

Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

It's almost a humorous look at inflation out of control.

ADK

I bought some of those a while back from Apmex. I sent them around to friends as a gag, and got a dozen requests for more. All in all, I bought about fifty notes from a couple of places [that turned out to be cheaper than Apmex]. There was an entrepeneur in Zimbabwe who saw the wisdom of selling the notes by the pound on the internet for a while, making himself fifty or sixty grand.

I intend to keep the ones I still have as a reminder.

Last edited:
They have been on my list for a while...

Then, a guy that I work with and I started talking about the economy, etc., and I gave him the Zimbabwe story. So, he's getting one of these as a gift to post up in his pool room.

I wish I bought some by the pound right away! They are good for resale at a few bucks a pop.

That guy in Zimbabwe probably did well right out of the gate. Smart!

ADK

guess I'm a sucker also, always wanted one. Never got further than bookmarking a couple of sites that sell them though.

That's too cool! Gotta get one. (Might even send one to Barack.....just for kicks!)

Mike,
They do cost more than they are worth, but you are also buying the history behind the note. Hyperinflation is difficult to illustrate as it is, but to be able to produce a fifty trillion dollar Zimbabwe note to show someone is to be able to give an actual existential example of what happens when someone like Gideon Gono is permitted to print at will, destroying an entire economy.

Zimbabwe was the breadbasket of Africa just twenty years or so ago, then Mugabe came to power and decided that all the farmers had to give their farms and equipment to black Zimbabweans as a form of social justice. Needless to say, they sold all the equipment for a fast buck and let the farms return to nature, after stripping off metal roofs and electrical wiring to sell for scrap of course. The end result is what we see now, a terrorized people held hostage by a tin pot dictator.

Yeah, I almost bought some on ebay myself. It's a great, concrete example for non-believers.

what should i do with it all ? :rotflmbo:

DEAREST FRIEND,

SEASON GREETING FROM DR.MARRIJE KOFI WHO CONTACTED YOU LONG AGO,
I AM VERY HAPPY TO INFORM YOU ABOUT MY SUCCESS IN GETTING THAT FUNDS
NOW,I WANT YOU TO CONTACT MY SECRETARY ON THE INFORMATION BELOW:

NAME: Mr.Barrister Collins
TEL: +234-7057-127 317
EMAIL: c_barrister@rocketmail.com

ASK HIM TO SEND YOU THE TOTAL SUM OF (US$1.250.000.00) ONE
MILLON TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND USD CASHIER. CHEQUE
WHICH I KEPT FOR YOUR COMPENSATION,CONTACT MR.BARRISTER COLLINS ON THIS
EMAIL: c_barrister@rocketmail.com

SEND HIM YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION LIKE.

YOUR FULL NAME
YOUR HOME ADDRESS
YOUR PHONE NUMBER
YOUR OCCUPATION
YOUR COUNTRY
YOUR AGE
SEX

REGARDS
DR.MARRIJE KOFI,

I need to shovel out some papers- not collect more.

Back
Top Bottom