IRS- help- I might be behind the 8 ball

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
As you recall-- I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy this past Summer.

At issue now is a 1099-C form I got cancellation of debt, $12,395 (box 2) of that the interest $7707 box 3. (student loan)

My SSDI for 2013 was $9948.

I been reading, googling and I run into double -conflicting info. A few years ago- I was a day trader- mostly miners stock. I never filed. The IRS came down on me. So I had to go to an accountant- and bottom line, is once it was all itemized, I lost $2000. Happily the IRS did not fine or penalty me.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc431.html

In general, if you are liable for a debt that is canceled, forgiven, or discharged, you will receive a Form 1099-C

Debt Cancellations or Reductions that Qualifiy for EXCEPTION to Inclusion in Gross Income:

Amounts specifically excluded from income by law such as gifts, bequests, devises or inheritances
Cancellation of certain qualified student loans
Canceled debt, that if it were paid by a cash basis taxpayer, would be deductible
A qualified purchase price reduction given by a seller
Any Pay-for-Performance Success Payments that reduce the principal balance of your home mortgage under the Home Affordable Modification Program

Canceled Debt that Qualifies for EXCLUSION from Gross Income:

Debt canceled in a Title 11 bankruptcy case
Debt canceled during insolvency
Cancellation of qualified farm indebtedness
Cancellation of qualified real property business indebtedness
Cancellation of qualified principal residence indebtedness
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know if there is a way to offset this.

In the past 2 months- I been selling a portion of my stack. I had hoped to replace it in July.

I think I got an answer- I file a form 982 or something with my 1040. It should be exempt I am told.

Back
Top Bottom