Kim Jong Il dies in N Korea

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DCFusor

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Just caught the news on Bloomberg. Died the 17th, and they are saying that the two day delay in the announcement is "faster than usual".

I haven't a clue what this will do to markets, other than that they are sure to "fluctuate" a little on this and subsequent news from the area.

I just saw that at ZH, DCFusor!

Going to be an interesting week in Asia too it looks like. I'll mosey over to the futures (finviz.com has a futures tab at their home page) and see how they are taking the news over there.

Kim, Jong-un (the youngest and fattest of his sons) looks like he is at the helm, at least for now. Imagine that! A Communist country has three generations in a row of Kings, err, whatever.

The King is dead! Long live the King!

EDIT:

-- Nikkei down 72
-- Dow Futures down 76
-- The US$ is catching a nice bid at over 80

Last edited:
This will be interesting. I could see him being worse than his father in an attempt to prove himself. Or, he could just keep the status quo. Or, he could be overwhelmed by senior officials from his father's reign and not really be in control. Or, we may get lucky in that he could actually improve things; hopefully at age 27 he is not quite as crazy as his father and might have some decency in him. I don't have a reference, but I thought I remembered reading in a report when he was declared successor last year that he has spent some time overseas, I want to say he was in Britain.

Hopefully his son is a bit more diplomatic and not viewed as a threat around the world. Let's us remember, well ...

Edit: Looks like the US Dollar is starting to pull back off of intial Asian reaction, gold and silver are about back at even from open.

Last edited:
His son is an egomaniacal spoiled little bitch. I hope he has a serious "accident".

They are locked in a box. Revolutions are the product of rising expectations. The least loosening and improvement will cause and allow an uprising by the starving people. I see no short term good from this for them. As for us...watching, too soon to make a decent call.

On the other hand, like Iraq, the people never have known any freedom - for generations. It's not like they would just become citizens of a democracy if their leadership collapsed - they don't know how.

I'm guessing the provocative actions by NK in the last year or two likely meant KJI hasn't been calling the shots for a while now. I don't expect much to change with the way they relate to the rest of the world.

3rd generation leader from the same line. Just call him a king already...

Back
Top Bottom