Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Man! It's cold!!

Right now, it is only 47 degrees!! Tonight, we're expected to dip below freezing. A layer of long johns helps, but it is still balls cold. Thankfully, it will be in the high fifties tomorrow, and back in the low seventies [tolerable at least] by weeks end.

I seriously don't know how you people can live in the frozen northern wasteland. Anything north of the Mason Dixon Line is a no go zone for me after October!

I know....I know...."Fuck you Ancona, you're just a pussy"!
hamsackbag and bushi like this.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
The high humidity in your area makes a huge difference. If you were in the high (dry) desert of Nevada / Arizona @ 47F, you'd probably be outside without a jacket.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
"Fuck you even more Bearing, pussy!" It may get in to the 30s tonight here in Miami.

EDIT: thanks guys for visiting my blog!
ancona and rblong2us like this.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
12F here this morning, rose to about 23 today, sinking again now. We usually get a couple of days like this in about the 2nd week of December, this is weird.
Combined with 40 mph wind gusts, also weird, I bet a lot of people will be coming by to get water from me - their pipes will all freeze again. We got a little snow, but not enough to go and play twirl the car games in (rats!). I'd been running the immersion heater in the toilet tank so nothing bad there.

We, you know, wear clothing and stuff when it gets like this, and yes, spend more time indoors where it's warm. There's nothing like standing in front of a huge radiant heat generator (IE wood stove) when it's like this, and rotating as if on a spit. Heats to the core far better than just tepid RT air can, just feels great.

I actually get closer climate control in winter. I control heat and humidity input easily with the woodstove and backup propane. If I ever overheat, cold is just an open window away. Summer not so much - AC is optional in this situation, and isn't perfect when the roof is hot enough to radiate down into the room. I mostly use it as a dehumidifier, and just wear less stuff when we get the other extreme.

My place has a great thermal mass to insulation ratio, so I can go many hours (and sometimes a couple of days) with no fire before it gets too chilly inside. The other side of that - if you let it get out of hand, it takes a long time to get it back, too.

Heck, I even remote-started my car a few minutes before I went out so it'd be warm in there when I got in. True hardship! I had to spend 5 entire seconds in the cold!

I think the thing is - it's unusual. Most only prepare for the normal, so stuff like this seems freaky. But after a few years or decades here, I learned to prepare for the "100 year" extremes, so it's not so bad.

Last edited by DCFusor; 01-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Not sure what parallel the MD line is on, but I am at about the 46th parallel which I believe is north of the MD line. Best guess is that the temp here is about 45-50 or so. Not cold at all for January. Should be freezing every night, but have not seen ice in weeks.

In fact it is so warm that I am wearing open sandals with bare feet.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Yellow Jacket

OK.....so it only got to 33 here on the coast.......but fuck me man! That's cold for a Florida Boy! My chickens are piled up in just two of the nesting boxes like a big 'ol pile of puppies on their mama's teats. It was funny when we turned the little red bastards out today, because they kind of looked at us.....looked at each other.....and blew us off. That's a first on this here farmstead.

Anyhow, my experiment with the sprinkler failed last night. I was going to fuck with my good neighbor a little bit, so I took two sprinklers, zip-tied them to the top of his fence and at around midnight, I turned them on mist. I did it once about ten years ago, and by the morning, we had about a three foot thick slab of ice covering the space between his carport and the fence. The kids played on that mountain until March.....and Joe thought it was hilarious.

Well, the temps didn't drop quite as low as predicted, and I fear that all I achieved was the planting of a seed in Joe's head.........now, all I can do and wait to see if the gods of retribution fall upon my head......
Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
PM Bug Supporter

See, that's the other problem for me (moving away to a better place): ANYWHERE else would be colder than here (ex. Hawaii, but no way I'd go there, pretty to look at, but they have real problems in "paradise").

mmerlin, 46th parallel... That would be north of Maryland (your MD?). 46 degrees north would be roughly our states of Maine, Iowa and Wyoming. In Europe that would be roughly Spain and Italy. Walking in sandals? I would say you are very lucky, so enjoy it!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
heh

5c (41f) outside, no cloud and strong wind.

24c (72f) inside Bugout 1 and havent put any wood on the fire for 2 hours.
Will probably have to open the door for a while to get it cool enough to kip.

Thought climate control was what the engineers were good at (-;
rblong2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Yellow Jacket

We're at about 50 degrees f right now, and supposed to be in the low seventies tomorrow. chilly, but still habitable.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Ground Beetle

Low 70s is the start of inhospitable weather and anything in 80s and higher should be permanently banned.
ancona likes this.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Yellow Jacket

I disagree. I think life begins at 80F
Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Mote in the Fed's eye

Liked: 10 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
Right now, it is only 47 degrees!! Tonight, we're expected to dip below freezing. A layer of long johns helps, but it is still balls cold. Thankfully, it will be in the high fifties tomorrow, and back in the low seventies [tolerable at least] by weeks end.

I seriously don't know how you people can live in the frozen northern wasteland. Anything north of the Mason Dixon Line is a no go zone for me after October!

I know....I know...."Fuck you Ancona, you're just a pussy"!
mason-dixon line? hell anything north of I-10 is too damn cold for me!
hamsackbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
PM Bug Supporter

I-10? Hell, anything north of I-4 is too cold for me!
hamsackbag likes this.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Guys, I like it warm more than most people - I'm pretty skinny and get cold while others are sweating. But how do you handle the heat? I blew through Miami a couple years ago on the way to a cruise and it was more than I could take - had to go outdoors to smoke. Isn't it just as nuts to spend even more on AC than I do on heat?
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post:
Guys, I like it warm more than most people - I'm pretty skinny and get cold while others are sweating. But how do you handle the heat? I blew through Miami a couple years ago on the way to a cruise and it was more than I could take - had to go outdoors to smoke. Isn't it just as nuts to spend even more on AC than I do on heat?
Actually, until it gets up in the mid nineties, we just use fans in the house. My annual average power bill is around ninety to a hundred bucks. In the winter, the insulation in the house will keep the heat in after running the heat strips for an hour or two.

In the hottest part of summer, I agree that it is absolutely crippling at times, but we just lay low until after five or five thirty to do anything strenuous outside. The more time you spend in the heat, the more you get accustomed to it.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
PM Bug Supporter

@ ancona and DCFusor

Wow, it looks like I am the 3rd skinny scraggly guy in this forum! And it looks like we are all roughly the same age.

Wow, re it only costing a measly $100 to cool your place ancona. We are over an order of magnitude to cool our place (a large-ish condo).

I have read that typically it costs MORE to heat a place than to cool it.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
Yellow Jacket

Yeah, I'm 6' 1" and weigh 158#, so when it gets cold, I feel like a fucking pink popsicle. Life is so much better in jams and flip-flops!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Ground Beetle

Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
Yeah, I'm 6' 1" and weigh 158#, so when it gets cold, I feel like a fucking pink popsicle. Life is so much better in jams and flip-flops!
And you obviously look like a popsicle stick.

I wear flip-flops all year long, even in the snow.

And I checked my latitude. It is 45.6.
ancona and rblong2us like this.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 01-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
PM Bug Supporter

World's Only Popsicle Stick Bearing would freeze his lil ol toe-sies at 45.6 degrees N Lat going through the snow...

That's almost criminally mischievous writing such words throwing off the horror, the horror of that imagery...
mmerlinn likes this.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
im beginning to see a certain 'profile' for bugs (-;

engineer / hands on / diy er
deep, outside the box thinker,
assume nothing
rely on no one but self, whilst still a team player when it works
loyal to friends and family
truthful