postage increase 6.5%, SS COLA 1.5%

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
How can they figure COLA at 1.5% when the post office needs 6.5%?

What, you're assuming all this is anything but a scam and scramble operation?
The PO is laboring under a load no one else is. They have to actually fully fund their super retirement plan, unlike well, anyone else.

And they see the real inflation rate in their input costs, not the fake one they hold down for COLA reasons to save the gov money.

The postage costs to run my household will increase 6.5%.

It doesn't matter if it is for retirement plan- the point is- the govt -the post office can not live off of 1.5%, they require 6.5%.

The 1.5% is not official yet. Oct- we will know- they say is will be lower then last years 1.7%. Estimate 1.5%

Cliff,
You have to think in different terms about SSI. There are so many people getting it right now, and so many more boarding the SS train over the next five to ten years, that a 6.5% increase each year would grenade the system. way, you're going to get it snapped off in you. As for the post office, they have to fund their health care and retiree benefits out to 75 years in the future, so that is that. If they we're allowed to throttle that back some, they would be perfectly solvent right now and have the ability to keep delivering first class letters for under fifty cents each [a hell of a bargain no matter how you measure it]

you're going to get it snapped off in you/snip

Which is precisely why I stack. (as others do too I am sure)

Cliff,
Stacking is only helping because it [ultimately] will preserve the value of your savings. I remember when you tipped off in to the deep end and were making late payments and such because you were buying too much shiny. I seem to remember you found a balance at some point and now only buy what you can afford. Either way, it will be you, rather than some dude down the street, who can afford the ten dollar loaf of bread.

Yes- I often bounced checks by buying too much. I have 1 30 day late on my mortgage- I asked them to mark it as on time- they said as a courtesy they will do so once in a lifetime.

I have bought alot of clothes. We have a wanna be ivy league college here- so nice clothes get donated to the thrift store- after a few weeks they get onto the 3 of $1 rack. I could go 3-4 months with out doing laundry if I wanted to.

I also got some shoes and if they fit buy them any way as the ones I use will wear out.

Those kids are into fashion- so it goes out of fashion at SU- and not in fashion yet on main street.

At some point- getting clothes will be stingier.

Back
Top Bottom