Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Ground Beetle

Liked: 554 times
What's the story with Ron Paul's representatives in Maine???

I don't get it, please someone explain it to me - it seems, like Maine's representatives have chosen to vote Ron Paul, so the Rep party overlords, have chosen instead: "no, you are not voting Ron Paul. Actually you are not voting at all, we replace you with the representatives who vote as WE please"

????? Do I understand it correctly ???? If so, THAT's "Democracy" at work, supposedly? What a sad joke...

"Reality Check"
bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
Yes, that's the gist of it. Understand that the GOP (Republican Party) is actually a private organization - not a government entity. The Romney camp is desperate to prevent Ron Paul from have the 5 states he needs to get his name on the ballot (and a speaking slot at the convention).

The business in Maine caused the Romney campaign camp to try and get some new rules slipped into the recommendation from the Rules committee at the national convention happening now in Tampa. They overreached though and, from what I'm hearing, pissed off a lot of non-Ron Paul supporters with their totalitarian suggestions. Their proposed rule changes look like they are not going to be passed out of the Rules committee (for a vote by the convention at large).

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
If the GOP keeps up these tactics they may get a full fledged uprising on their hands...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...es-3819210.php

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/27/texa...ation_revolts/

Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
"Later that same day the RNC Rules Committee voted 63-38 to create a new party rule granting the the ruling cabal — and by extension their candidate, Mitt Romney — unchecked power to change the party’s rules.

At the urging of the Romney campaign’s chief attorney, Ben Ginsberg, the new rule allows the RNC to re-write the party's rulebook without the approval of the full Republican National Convention."

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...-his-delegates
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
its over we lost. I am so discusted.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 78 times
Las Vegas Sun:

Paul supporters, lead by Nevada delegate Wayne Terhune, succeeded in putting together petitions from six states to put Paul’s name up for nomination. But earlier this week, the Romney campaign won a critical rules change requiring eight states to put a candidate up for nomination.

At the last moment, Paul supporters handed the petitions to the convention secretary. Then, the convention voted to adopt the eight-state rule, crushing the Paul effort.

New York Times:

Delegates from Nevada tried to nominate Mr. Paul from the floor, submitting petitions from their own state as well as Minnesota, Maine, Iowa, Oregon, Alaska and the Virgin Islands. That should have done the trick: Rules require signatures from just five states. But the party changed the rules on the spot. Henceforth, delegates must gather petitions from eight states.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
I'm not terribly surprised. I didn't expect success at the convention. I'm rather pessimistic about the next 4 years.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

Liked: 459 times
3rd party
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 78 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
I'm not terribly surprised. I didn't expect success at the convention. I'm rather pessimistic about the next 4 years.
My sentiments are opposite of yours. I think submitting 6 states for Ron Paul is a huge success. I think that having Rand Paul speak (a freshman senator) at the RNC is also a victory. Even Ron Paul was invited to speak at the RNC.

Fiscally conservative candidates like Ted Cruz (Texas) Kerry Bentivolio (MI) Richard Mourdock (IND) have a good shot of being elected.

The liberty faction will continue to claim victories on the local and state level and we will be even stronger for the 2016 campaign.
PMBug, bushi and benjamen like this.
Shelby-villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #10

Liked: 280 times
I agree that the liberty movement is stronger than ever, but I also agree with Bug that the next term, no matter who it is, is going to be miserable. The damage has been done and it will be liquidated one way or another, no matter which clown's face is on it.
PMBug likes this.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 199 times
Originally Posted by dontdeBasemebro View Post:
I agree that the liberty movement is stronger than ever, but I also agree with Bug that the next term, no matter who it is, is going to be miserable. The damage has been done and it will be liquidated one way or another, no matter which clown's face is on it.
I am emphatically NOT an Obama supporter.

But, I kind of hope Obama gets in again. That way the Democrats will wear the responsibility for the demise of America. If the liberty movement can take over the GOP (and it should be able to), then they will be a clear choice to turn to in 4 years.
bushi likes this.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Yellow Jacket

I found some of the delegates from Maine. Nice people.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
well, you got mitty now so get used to it )-:

i listened to some of his acceptance speech last night and it was totally devoid of content, just key words and phrases designed to address the fear they otherwise pump out to keep everyone in place the rest of the time ......

from -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ce-speech-hope

Quote :
In a largely pedestrian speech, Romney won some of the loudest applause of the night when he said: "President Obama promised to begin to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet." After a long pause to milk the raucous laughter of the crowd he delivered his own pledge: "My promise ... is to help you and your family
help you and your family to do what ??? pitiful really.

They talk about a divided Rep party, yet NEVER a mention of Ron Paul anywhere .........
Old 08-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Ground Beetle

Liked: 554 times
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post:
I am emphatically NOT an Obama supporter.

But, I kind of hope Obama gets in again. That way the Democrats will wear the responsibility for the demise of America. If the liberty movement can take over the GOP (and it should be able to), then they will be a clear choice to turn to in 4 years.
... true, it seems that in all probability, most people cannot connect the dots as for causes & effects, long/medium term, so I was thinking myself, WHAT IF, what IF, by some miracle, Ron Paul gets elected, he starts his (inevitable) cuts programmes, the economy plummets (inevitably, short term), he slashes government left and right - making loads of enemies here too..

...and than what? Where's his support coming from, at that stage? Where's society, united by the vision of necessary (if very painful) changes, to get back on the healthy track? Where is the determination and focus, to get united through that painful (if necessary) period of time.

Add to the mix all the incredibly powerful, vested interest, which is most interested in keeping things the way they currently are, and who will do everything they can, to discredit, character-assassinate, meddle in, and generally, pour the sand on the gears of any significant changes, trying to be made?

I don't know, but it seems to me, that it is maybe better to loose that one (or even few more) battles, educate people in the mean time, gain wide-spread grassroots support, build that bottom-up pressure and universally shared vision, and maybe even let this whole shit house crumble first on it's own accord - to emerge from the ruins, with a new proposition (liberty) - rather than winning the battle here, been confronted with the shit hitting the fan (quite probably during the next term), and blamed for all the consequences of decades of ill-management of the society - despite doing everything to right the previous wrongs? I mean, who attempts to clear the current mess, will face enormous resistance and difficulties.

I mean, I do not see any way forward for the whole western world, without a significant pain to be brought on all members of the society - Ron Paul or not, he's not a magician, he is just a guy with a great integrity, and understanding of the most important principles, that would be necessary to be in place, to create a robust framework for a thriving, healthy society. And even righting all the wrongs that have been done in last decades, won't cure the situation overnight - this is just too big a thing, the whole economy/society/country, and it takes time to turn it over. And I am afraid, that the time and costs required for the initial pain to be effective, and start curing the ills, is much longer, than the patience of american voters will last.

EDIT. PS: And I am not picking on Americans here, I think pretty much whole of the western world is in the same shit, socially and socio-economically. Sad thing, and maybe even scarry.

Last edited by bushi; 08-31-2012 at 11:19 AM.
bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
Wise words Bushi

Can any of us even begin to imagine a strategy that would 'sort things out ' ?

Lots of ideas kicking around but never any that can integrate all aspects of human life, cos its always 'experts' in limited fields of expertise .........

The only choice, if there is any, is who will do less harm, if given the chief puppet role ?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
@ rblong2us and bushi

As long as the unwind does not destroy our society, I agree. Great Depression v. 2 looks to be about the best we can expect. And then we rebuild.

As long as we stay away from the REALLY BAD STUFF, maybe liberty can come our way, here and in the rest of the world. But, I do not see any easy way out, all the easy tricks have been played, without sucess.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I agree wholeheartedly with Bushi here. Ron Paul has the ideas and passion for the constitution that we all share here at PMBug, but there is not a lot he can do alone, and even less that he can do without a republican congress.

I believe we are headed for a very dark time, maybe as much as a decade, within which our entire financial paradigm will disappear and be replaced with something different. We have passed the proverbial tipping point where there was any remaining hope that we could reverse our debts and return to fiscal sanity. We have not even had a fucking budget for over three years and have no hope of having one in the years to come.

The USA will [like Europe] attempt to put band aid after band aid on the problems but will never address it head on. The truth of it is that we have no money, and we have no political will to stop spending as if we had an endless supply of gold. This party is rapidly drawing to a close and when it does, it will be incredibly painful for those who did not prepare. All of those millionaires? If they have not gotten gold, silver, guns and food, they will be just as poor as the old guy living under the bridge, but worse off. The guy under the bridge is used to living with nothing, but those millionaires are spoiled and fat, so having all of that stripped away will be ten times more painful.
Jay likes this.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by Shelby-villian View Post:
My sentiments are opposite of yours. I think submitting 6 states for Ron Paul is a huge success. I think that having Rand Paul speak (a freshman senator) at the RNC is also a victory. Even Ron Paul was invited to speak at the RNC, as long as he said what Romney approved of. (he declined).

Fiscally conservative candidates like Ted Cruz (Texas) Kerry Bentivolio (MI) Richard Mourdock (IND) have a good shot of being elected.

The liberty faction will continue to claim victories on the local and state level and we will be even stronger for the 2016 campaign.
there, fixed that for you.

and that is why there is NO hope.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
I agree wholeheartedly with Bushi here. Ron Paul has the ideas and passion for the constitution that we all share here at PMBug, but there is not a lot he can do alone, and even less that he can do without a republican congress.

I believe we are headed for a very dark time, maybe as much as a decade, within which our entire financial paradigm will disappear and be replaced with something different. We have passed the proverbial tipping point where there was any remaining hope that we could reverse our debts and return to fiscal sanity. We have not even had a fucking budget for over three years and have no hope of having one in the years to come.

The USA will [like Europe] attempt to put band aid after band aid on the problems but will never address it head on. The truth of it is that we have no money, and we have no political will to stop spending as if we had an endless supply of gold. This party is rapidly drawing to a close and when it does, it will be incredibly painful for those who did not prepare. All of those millionaires? If they have not gotten gold, silver, guns and food, they will be just as poor as the old guy living under the bridge, but worse off. The guy under the bridge is used to living with nothing, but those millionaires are spoiled and fat, so having all of that stripped away will be ten times more painful.
I agree. I can see NO WAY for us to restructure. When the collapse does happen, (no one I work with thinks anything is particularly wrong, still talking about their retirement, etc.) and it will, then I fear the cascading effect will be so fast there can be no recovery. For example, how to restructure when ALL government checks stop? When credit dries up? No grocery stores or gas stations? My morbidly obese next door neighbors had eight pre-five year olds playing in their yard last night. (Not all theirs) They haven't a clue, new kid every year, rent-a-piece-of-crap-furniture van in front of their house every week, new cars every year, etc. When everything stops, they aren't going to be looking for a politician to help them out. No time. In days, they are going to be willing to kill their neighbor in order to feed their kids. Sorry for the rant, but I've just spent the day at the grocery store watching 9 out of ten people ride around in human forklifts and complain because we only have 173 kinds of cat food. On the one hand, it can't collapse fast enough, on the other the suffering is going to be horrible. We lived in Tondo for quit a while; the people there were better off because they knew how to survive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tondo,_Manila
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ines&FORM=IGRE
ancona and rblong2us like this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

WTF- Peter schiff endorses mitt