you cant go home- or can you. no

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
So- today I realized- I have now lived in PA almost 1/2 my life! My family has all lived in 2 or more states- back and forth PA and Chicago.

24 years there - 25 here- something like that.

You know all those places coming of age? That you hung at? Do you drive thru the old neighborhood?

If I make it back there- 12 hour drive- would I drive past those places??

1, there is my ex who is cordial- he sold is spawling ranch and went into an new apartment for retirees. He did not want the fuzz. We spent alot of time there- the lawn was huge- and the parties were the best!!

2, next- his parents house- they lived in the same fancy suburb- but in the new subdivision section- so no 80 feet tall oak trees there- we had some great times there- holidays- and his mom was like a mom to me. I was sad when I learned she passed. One thing she taught me- look it up- she was like a detective- I loved picking her brain and figuring things out.

I told Dennis- I hope you did not give your house away. He did not say anything- so using the skills his mom taught me- I looked it up- and seen what his house and her house sold for. Hers was sold at market price. His was low end of the market. I will never forget how insulted they were when the appraiser for the inheritance tax on his grandfather - said that houses kitchen pulled the value down- which he actually did a favor by low ending the value for that tax.
So I pondered the price then and the price he said it at- the time span- and the increase reminds me abit like silver. I know the taxes were crazy- and it was like an acre of grass to cut thru a forest of messy oak trees. Which I helped some.

3, uncle Dons house. He lived in the same suburb that I grew up in- we did many camping trips- and holidays- and back yard outings.

4, the house I grew up in. I doubt I want to drive by it. I can stand the memories. Early on they were great- after my dad passed they were bad.

5, my old job- I used to clean a poodle clipping shop. I dont even know if Marge is still alive. She an aunt that I adopted. We would talk for hours and hours on anything and everything. I learned alot from her- she was a little girl when they escaped on the last train out when Hitler took over Germany. In the 80s she told me stuff- lots of stuff.... but toward the year 2000- she became unwilling to discuss any of it.

6, old schools- might be interesting to see. I know the high school is crazy glitzy now. Glad I dont have to pay the tax on that!

So all my family lives back there again- but they live further out from the city then before- and indeed- where we lived seems more urban and of color.

So- it is possible to drive what I would and not really have to run into the old places.

My family has it nicer then we did as kids. So yay for that. Gosh even this house - has more square feet- then the old place... and I am 1 person not 6.

If you were in your old neighborhood- so you drive by places?

every time i go home to Tennessee, i drive through all the old neighborhoods that i hung out in. i hardly go see any of my old friends. only one of them do i keep in touch with. I havent lived there for 6 years. dont know if ill move back or not. but when im in town, i do like to drive by all the old places.

i find the present and the future much more interesting Penn.
The past is done.
Learn from it and use the knowledge to create a better future for yourself and those you care about.
i only look at old photo's when someone else digs em out and have no inclination to revisit places for memorys sake.
I detect a kind of sadness in nostalgia .....

i will share this though -

a couple of months ago i was driving to visit a friend about 100 miles away in an area close to where i was born and where my father spent many years ( b-1901 d-1976 )
Now i almost never have any thoughts about him but as i rounded a particular corner he 'came through' loud n clear.
"Hey son, this was my favourite road for riding my motorcycle along"
wow ! I had even forgotten he rode a motorcycle.
He stayed with me until i turned off down a dead end road towards my friends place. Think the last time i had been along this road was when i was a toddler .....

So my dad used to ride with T.E. Lawrence ( Lawrence of Arabia ) and he was going along the road towards where Lawrence lived ......

now thats fuckin nostalgia !

Back
Top Bottom