2023 ends, 2024 begins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Merry Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever year end holiday you observe to all the bugs out there. I hope 2024 brings you prosperity and health.

Just couldn't resist a Christmas card with an Ovcharka on it. 🎅

Just couldn't resist a Christmas card with an Ovcharka on it. 🎅
Looks like a dog I see most days on my daily power-walk. Lives down a side street...a smallish yard, but he's got a friend, another dog, with him. Massive; jet-black, huge fat head.

And afraid of his own shadow. Must have been an abused pound puppy.

He SO wants to meet new people; and if he's got his companion dog with him, he'll timidly come forward and get an ear scratch over the fence. But if he's out alone, he just goes crazy...he so wants to see his new human, but he's SO afraid.

In your drawing there, it would be the giant dog up in the tree, with Santa laying out Milk-Bones below.

Looks like a dog I see most days on my daily power-walk. Lives down a side street...a smallish yard, but he's got a friend, another dog, with him. Massive; jet-black, huge fat head.

And afraid of his own shadow. Must have been an abused pound puppy.

He SO wants to meet new people; and if he's got his companion dog with him, he'll timidly come forward and get an ear scratch over the fence. But if he's out alone, he just goes crazy...he so wants to see his new human, but he's SO afraid.

In your drawing there, it would be the giant dog up in the tree, with Santa laying out Milk-Bones below.

Ovcharkas generally have their ears clipped a day or two after birth. Never saw one that was timid. They are very protective of children and very gentle with them. Wonderful guard dogs. Russians use them as prison dogs.

nikita10.jpg

nikita8.jpg

nikita6.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

Here's a nine week old puppy. Almost 40 pounds.

pup1.jpg

What I've seen of dogs...they'll take abuse from children they would NEVER accept from an adult human, much less another dog. I worked with a guy who was a lesser Dog Whisperer...my mother was having some minor troubles with her greyhound, who was a natural Alpha. The dog jumped on people - and would stand on their feet, a classic dominance act, I learned.

We had a couple of long talks, while working. "Think like a dog," he said. I didn't get it at first; but over the years it came to me.

As to children: I'm convinced they smell the difference. I've seen aggressive toddlers smack a big dog in the face; and that dog, part of the family, just turns away. The classic canine "You're being rude" body language. No anger. No attempt to flee. The dog will look to the Alpha, usually the parent of the child, with expectancy. "Do something."

I've seen cattle-dog breeds circle a couple of kids, to corral them...depending on the dog, try to herd them towards the den/house. They can't help it - it's what they DO. They see these two-legged cattle, and they know what they're to do - keep the perimeter clear and get them back where they belong.

So it's no surprise that a huge, intelligent dog would be good with kids. All the smells tell such a dog that these are young pups, or young cattle, and they have a job.

Ovcharkas generally have their ears clipped a day or two after birth. Never saw one that was timid. They are very protective of children and very gentle with them. Wonderful guard dogs. Russians use them as prison dogs.
Could be a big mutt. I don't know my breeds. The face of yours looks different, and the coloring of my shy friend is pure black.

I'd say he's at about 180 pounds.

Just kind of shocking to see a big dog like that be so afraid. And it's not the first time - I remember when I was at an upscale hotel, and there was a dog show in town...I was there for other reasons, but I came down to the lobby, and several dog owners were taking their show-dogs out.

In the lobby was this huge white dog...great big snowball. I just had to come over....offered my hand to sniff...and the dog quickly pulled back, squirming to get behind its owner's chair.

The owner was apologetic. "Oh, she was abused as a puppy. She never got over it."

Back
Top Bottom