A small boat, a vast sea and a desperate escape from Russia

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

A small boat, a vast sea and a desperate escape from Russia​

Jan. 30, 2023 at 2:41 pm Updated Jan. 30, 2023 at 4:45 pm

By Mike Baker
The New York Times

A series of knocks rattled his apartment door one day last fall, and Maksim peered through the peephole to see two soldiers in uniform. They were military enlistment officers, he knew, expanding the vast conscription effort for the war in Ukraine to Russia’s remote Far East.

The 44-year-old fisherman kept in motionless silence until the officers moved along. Knowing they would be back, Maksim went that night to the home of a friend, Sergei, who had received an unwelcome visit of his own. Together, they pored over maps at Sergei’s kitchen table, trying to find a way to flee the country and a war where thousands of young Russian men were dying. Sergei then offered a plan that, at first, seemed unfathomable.

“I propose that we travel by sea,” Sergei said.

Full story here:

Shouldn't take 5 days to cross the Bering sea.... unless you get caught in a current....?

I just thought it was an interesting story about a flight to freedom and survival. :eek:

I just thought it was an interesting story about a flight to freedom and survival. :eek:
peppered aka embellished with propaganda from the author....

"With the aid of VPNs that allowed them to bypass internet censorship and find news beyond the nationalist propaganda coming out of Moscow, Sergei and Maksim had grown to reject the Kremlin’s narrative about the war. They would not willingly join what they saw as an unjustified invasion, launched by a government they so vehemently opposed."​

these guys are fishermen... probably have a crappy inet connection, yet they know about VPN's?

I doubt this 'story' is true according to the author. Yeah, probably were 2 guys that made it to the US, but nobody talks like this guy writes.

"The men were anxious, but then they got a jolt of optimism after seeing a video on the Telegram messaging platform."​

A 'jolt of optimism' eh?

Comon man...

I'll wait til the movie comes out....

Last edited:
Now I'm going to have to do some research. Gotta know if it's true or not.

Yep as I suggested. Story of 2 guys is true, but whomever wrote that screed did a number on it for the propaganda value.

Better to have posted those last two links than that first 'dressed up' one.

Whenever they say 'Russia invaded' it raises red flags for me.

They never cover the reason 'Why?' Russia invaded which is because the US via NATO overthrew Ukraine's government in 2014. They also avoid writing about all the deep state corruption, money laundering, bioweapons labs etc. that were being run.

That's how I know it's propaganda.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom