Amendment to defund the auto kill switch

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, with all due respect, y'all got to remember this...
"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."
I thought all Democrats subscribed to this "logic".
Apparently they do so only when some dumbass like Pelosi espouses the idea.

We need to defund the government.
That keeps on being defeated. Not by ballot but by noisy agitators controlled by various players.

If we could defund the Know-Nothing vote, we could deal with all this peripheral idiocy, easily.

"We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it."

Many lawmakers were unaware of the mandate, which was tucked into the 2,700-page, $1.2 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act passed with bipartisan support and signed by Mr. Biden in November 2021.

Every one who voted for it, without reading it, should be prosecuted in his home district.

NO excuse for it. I don't care if every bill is that way, now. If you don't KNOW what is in it...vote it down.

This is how we got to where we are now.

Every one who voted for it, without reading it, should be prosecuted in his home district.
And every one who voted against it, without reading it, should be prosecuted as well.

The point I'm trying to make is that there should be no uninformed vote cast.

Although, I will say I understand your point Casey. If you do not understand the bill, don't pass it!
In theory, that would make others write bills that are short and to the point.

But the truth of the matter is that, because of the way the current system is set up, in many, many instances, it's impossible for members of Congress to actually read the entire bill before the required vote is scheduled.

AI gives the following:

For example, in mid-January 2014, Congress rushed through a massive spending bill that was 1,582 pages long and had 1,278 additional pages of explanatory statements1. The bill was voted on just 44 hours after it was posted, which would have given members of Congress less than a minute to read each page if they gave up a night’s sleep1.

In fact, there have been instances where lawmakers have admitted to not having read the bills they voted on. For instance, when asked whether he read a $1.1 trillion government spending bill, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) responded: "Nobody did."1

There have been efforts to address this issue. For example, the “Read the Bill” legislation led by Sen. Rick Scott requires members of Congress to have enough time to read bills before voting on them and certify that they have read every bill they cast a vote on2. Similarly, the Review Every Act Diligently In Total (READ IT) Act aims to allow members to fully review all legislation before votes3. It would institute a new rule in the official House rules, that anything receiving a vote must have been publicly available in electronic form for a number of minutes that’s double the number of pages3.

Thankfully, (yes that's sarcasm) there are lobbyists and consultants, many who are former members of Congress who will "inform" current members of what the bill entails and just how they should vote.

And every one who voted against it, without reading it, should be prosecuted as well.
I disagree. When a bill is suddenly presented, without time to read the minutia...it's impossible to give an informed reading.

It would take a legal TEAM...WEEKS to sift through it.

When a bill is in fact unintelligible, in the time allowed...voting it DOWN, is a vote to leave things as they are. The Status Quo.

EXPLAIN the change proposed, SUCCINCTLY - or members should refuse to pass the bill.

The point I'm trying to make is that there should be no uninformed vote cast.
There should be no 2000-page bill dumped on the legislatures one Friday, with a vote scheduled on Monday.

But there are. Those who do it, are as criminal; but they come from Blue hellholes which SUPPORT this sort of stealth tyranny.

Hope they like their mRNA poison, thanks to the CDC and the "Pandemic" - the power to create it all, given in the ACA bill. We have to vote on it to find out what's in it, as the smartest Speaker ever in Congress, said.

I agree with you, Casey; maybe I just did a piss-poor job of wording it.

When I said, "The point I'm trying to make is that there should be no uninformed vote cast.", maybe I should have elaborated that there should be no vote until members have had the chance to actually read, digest, and understand the bill before them.

If one were to vote for OR against something without reading it, that's a horrible disservice.

I understand your opinion that voting "no" does no harm; it just causes the bill to not pass. As you noted, "voting it down" is a vote to leave things as they are".

However, voting "no" gives the appearance that one has an opinion on the matter at hand.

In my opinion, the better solution is that each member should vote "abstain."

I also agree with your statement: "There should be no 2000-page bill dumped on the legislatures one Friday, with a vote scheduled for Monday."

In the example I quoted above, there was a 2860-page bill that was presented 44 hours prior to the scheduled vote.

This meant if each member did NOTHING else but read (not even sleep), this provided members with less than one minute per page.

Pure logic and reason dictate that it's impossible for one to do such a thing, and it's idiocy to have that expectation.

However, we both know that pure logic and reason have long ago been lost by those in our political system.

THE NHTSA WANTS FEEDBACK ON ITS MANDATED ‘KILL SWITCHES’ COMING IN 2026​

December 17, 2023

About a year ago, we covered a story regarding a Biden-approved infrastructure bill that holds a passage regarding a requirement for automakers to begin including a “vehicle kill switch” within the operating software of new cars that’s capable of disabling a vehicle from operating if it detects driver impairment. The system is described in the bill as “advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology,” the measure has been positioned as a safety tool to help prevent drunk driving, and by 2026, the kill switch could be mandated on every new car sold in the United States. Even GM CEO Mary Barra is talking about it now.

More:

Back
Top Bottom