Annealing brass cases

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
I've now got a couple 300 blackouts and of course the ammo ain't cheap so I've dusted off my reloading equipment. Looking around it appears most brass for sale is not factory made ammo but home made stuff cut down from the .223/5.56 case. I ordered a batch and paid the extra for the annealing. While going through all my piles of .223/5.56 brass I noticed a lot have dents around the neck and shoulder area which isn't a huge deal, depending on how bad it is. That being said it got me to thinking that if I made my own 300BLK brass, those areas would be cut off anyway. So I know I would want to anneal it and was looking into ways to do large batches easily, one of the things I found was the $250 toy seen here. The thing I'm wondering is that it seems they've cut the brass, formed it and are then annealing it. Wouldn't it make more sense to anneal it after cutting it, but BEFORE the initial forming? I am not a metallurgist, but I often like to play one in my gun room. I know there are some people on here that do a lot of that sort of stuff and can maybe explain why you wouldn't anneal it before forming, or if you should as I suspect do it before you re-form the brass. :shrug:

Last edited:
Haven't seen DCFusor around in a while, but he'd be the one to ask. Might try sending him a PM.

I'm not in a hurry for the info, even if I did buy that toy, it would be after new years, if anything related to guns is even allowed after hilly's looming presidency.

My local scheels had a bag of 250 .300BLK brass converted from once fired military for $45 or 18 cents/case, which is pretty good especially since it was already punched, sized (most of it) and cleaned. It doesn't appear to have been annealed though, and I already had a couple of the necks crack on the ones that hadn't been trimmed yet when I tried trimming them down. I still really want the toy though! :flail:

Back
Top Bottom