Any Modern Fractional Bullion Semi-Numismatic?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nickndfl

Sunshine State
Benefactor
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Mars
Has anybody noticed some of the lower mintages of 1/10th, 1/2 & 1/4 platinum and gold bullion coins?

Someday an entrepreneur is going to offer entire sets and will discover that there are limits.

Are talking specifically about US Mint products, foreign mint products, private mint products or ???

Any i e. 1/10th plat kooks?

Any sovereign mint products. I see Perth really increased premiums as they said they would.

Anytime you can get limited minted items with typical normal market premiums you should get them but don't up pay, to much risk of premium loss...back when perth did the first edition of lunars they were going for normal bullion prices and I picked up several sets in most sizes ....now the market puts pretty large premiums on them so they were a good buy.....similar for some kooks but they haven't gained premium so nothing lost

Platinum is the low mintage king. The USA has many years with < 10k minted! That is key date #s for bullion.

For awhile it thought no coin would eclipse the $5 gold unc Jackie Robinson but then came the burnished plats. Then the gold spouses. Now, last three years each successive year the record is broken by the $5 unc gold commem. Last years Negro league gold sold under 1600 coins.
Low mintage ain't what it used to be.
At least with plat eagles the designs are decent.

For awhile it thought no coin would eclipse the $5 gold unc Jackie Robinson but then came the burnished plats. Then the gold spouses. Now, last three years each successive year the record is broken by the $5 unc gold commem. Last years Negro league gold sold under 1600 coins.
Low mintage ain't what it used to be.
At least with plat eagles the designs are decent.
Commemoratives are specialized, but if somebody wants to put together a full bullion set which is more mainstream, there will be limited numbers available.

1/2 bullion AGEs from the 80s, 90s, early 00's keep killing it on eBay. Recent years like 2017, 2018, 2019 have lower mintages but have been treated and handled like numismatics so they're not flying.

Has anybody noticed some of the lower mintages of 1/10th, 1/2 & 1/4 platinum and gold bullion coins?

Someday an entrepreneur is going to offer entire sets and will discover that there are limits.
Yes. Check out the 1st spouse coins. those things have a serious low mintage but no real premium.

I think when then mint strikes coins with non interesting persons or ideas, it's just metal. Take for example those 1oz gold coins with black women on them in 2017 - THOSE ARE STILL AVAILABLE FROM THE MINT. https://catalog.usmint.gov/american...old-coin-17XA.html?cgid=2017-product-schedule. they only made 100,000, it's the "coin of the year" but has a slave image that no one wants. So, you can buy all you want but no one will ever pay a premium.

With the latest spot drop I have been nibbling at pre-33 gold with common dates in ungraded XF-BU. Liberty and Bullion Exchange have the best prices online. I am trying to collect examples of most types just for pleasure.

I generally purchase from the vendor who offers 10-14% off the normal premium. I had an AU $5 indian in my cart for $580 that got sold under me because I waited a few hours. I scored an AU $10 indian at $1102. I am still looking for $20 gold pieces near $1900.

I have not looked into gold but if you're shopping for a monster box of of Maples, Phil's, Krugs, Eagles ---and you have a card which pays you back 2% -- it's often a better deal to buy them from the cheapest dealers on eBay (DBS, Bullion Exchange, Liberty etc) than from the dealer website. If you don't mind a paper trail.

I have enough silver. I only buy gold and platinum at this point.

Back
Top Bottom