United States v. BANKMAN-FRIED (FTX collapse/fraud)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

one of the most interesting + ignored parts of this story is the several claims of ftx getting hacked and money stolen AFTER it collapsed

these are lies and thefts by the connected

if a hacker could steal the money -- why o why would it wait for the thing to implode and be thrust into hyper surveillance? it wouldnt

The post-collapse theft was definitely not ignored. It was widely reported. I'm quite sure there are many eyes watching the wallets that the stolen crypto ended up in. Much like bank notes that get stolen from a bank and marked with blue dye, this crypto is likely marked and going to be difficult to wash.

^ I haven't watched it yet - just saw that it was out there and might be germane to the issue.
He's a slippery one... SBF...

Nutshell: Coffeezilla listened to previous questions from previous videos asked of SBF. Coffeezilla then @9:45 formulated a series of questions that tripped SBF up.

Coffeezilla is a smart dude. SBF should have kept his mouth SHUT!

Given that...can we not more-or-less agree, this guy isn't the brain. He's a front-man and stooge - and now, fall guy.
I wonder who he'll flip on...?

I doubt he or that dumpy stupid broad he was shacking up with, even KNEW what "their" companies were doing.
but they thought they were geniuses sitting on top of the world.

The post-collapse theft was definitely not ignored. It was widely reported. I'm quite sure there are many eyes watching the wallets that the stolen crypto ended up in. Much like bank notes that get stolen from a bank and marked with blue dye, this crypto is likely marked and going to be difficult to wash.
tracking digital ledger money, stolen from a large exchange, should be like taking candy from a baby. perhaps (they) will recover some of the stolen money. but the cynic in me would bet that a good chunk of it disappears into (redacted) and the (redacted) will do nothing about it

NEW FTX CEO JOHN RAY: SCANDAL IS "PLAIN OLD EMBEZZLEMENT"​

2m
New FTX CEO John Ray testified to the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services Tuesday on the collapse of the cryptocurrency company telling Rep. Roger Williams (R-TX) that the scandal is "plain old embezzlement" and former CEO and founder Samuel Bankman-Fried should not have a role in the business again.

I don't know what the conviction rate on prosecutions for wire fraud is, but I'm guessing it's pretty high.

The penalties for wire fraud are up to 30 years in prison and up to $1 million in fines. ...

Also, each individual act of wire fraud may be charged as a separate offense. So, for example, if a fraudster sent out emails to five different people as part of a scam, then they could end up being fined a total of $5 million, not just $1 million, and sentenced for to up to 150 years in prison (30 years x 5 = 150).

... Going back to the “intent to defraud” elements, courts have recognized that you are not guilty of wire fraud if you honestly believed in the statements or representations that later turned out to be false. This is sometimes referred to as the “good faith” defense. ...

More:

That's what SBF's social media tour has been all about IMO - establishing his "good faith, but big dummy" defense.

Some folk have speculated that there is something nefarious afoot with the timing of SBF's arrest the day before Congress wanted him to testify before one of their committees. Well, it looks like he refused to testify before the committee:

Former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried is refusing to testify at a hearing this week about his company's implosion, the Senate Banking Committee said Monday.

Attorneys for the crypto platform's founder have also said Bankman-Fried, who is based in the Bahamas, will not accept service of a subpoena to compel his testimony before the panel, senators said.

Some folk have speculated that there is something nefarious afoot with the timing of SBF's arrest the day before Congress wanted him to testify before one of their committees.
It still looks suspicious.

Normally I wouldn't question law enforcement across the board, but lately it seems there are differing factions within government with different agendas. Laws for thee, but not for me two-tiered justice systems usually cause concern for the rule of law.

Then you have that loud-mouthed congress-critter spearheading the 'investigation' who allegedly received $ from FTX ... why it almost looks like Katie Hobbs overseeing her own election to AZ governorship.

Conflict of interest comes to mind....

Hey, he chose the Bahamas as his playground...

Take the bitter with the sweet. I guess the Bay Area wasn't nice enough for him...even in his income bracket...

I am surprised he didn't disappear as soon as this blew up. Fool. He has no chance of ever seeing the light of day again. He had nothing to lose by fleeing to some third world country. If he was smart he would gave already had that plan ready. Instead he went on an apology tour.

He'll have the next 50 years to regret it... if he doesn't "kill himself."

I am surprised he didn't disappear as soon as this blew up. Fool. He has no chance of ever seeing the light of day again. He had nothing to lose by fleeing to some third world country. If he was smart he would gave already had that plan ready. Instead he went on an apology tour.
That's why I think he was a front man and a stooge.

Someone who was even SOMEWHAT involved, would have known what you and I know. With a billion as pocket money, you can do an awful lot of disappearing...and he wouldn't have had to hide long. Five to ten years, at most...our civilization isn't going to last.

But he didn't, and that's how we know he was in about eight layers over his head.

whats in a name:

compound name " Bankman-Fried "

so, at some point in time some offspring of
someone named Fried and someone named Bankman
( chose ) to name themselves Bankman-Fried

The Spanish, I guess, are the ones that most use multi-surnames,
and so may have MANY components of a ( chosen ) compound surname.

Someone else in that family-tree must have ( chosen )
Fried Bankman

to me it is a curious name

whats in a name:

compound name " Bankman-Fried "

so, at some point in time some offspring of
someone named Fried and someone named Bankman
( chose ) to name themselves Bankman-Fried

The Spanish, I guess, are the ones that most use multi-surnames,
and so may have MANY components of a ( chosen ) compound surname.

Someone else in that family-tree must have ( chosen )
Fried Bankman

to me it is a curious name
I would hazard the guess that his mother is a liberal who hyphenated her name and now it's his name?

It's like those Spaniards who have ridiculously long names...

like: "Maria de la Santa Cruz Rosalina Agnelia Rodriguez Cuellar Rene',

or Esteban Enrique-Núñez-García Ramírez-Vasquez-Rodriguez-Hernandez-Cortés Martínez-Roberto Smith

something along those lines with a touch of feminism thrown in because patriarchy is evil...?

I would hazard the guess that his mother is a liberal who hyphenated her name and now it's his name?

It's like those Spaniards who have ridiculously long names...

like: "Maria de la Santa Cruz Rosalina Agnelia Rodriguez Cuellar Rene',

or Esteban Enrique-Núñez-García Ramírez-Vasquez-Rodriguez-Hernandez-Cortés Martínez-Roberto Smith

something along those lines with a touch of feminism thrown in because patriarchy is evil...?
The mother is Fried.

The father is Bankman.

They're both crony-connected Statist Liberals.

So, of course, a dull-normal beta child would chose a hyphenated name like that. Ignoring how awkward either of those names are, alone, and when put together in a word-salad...no. Just, no.

The Latins, at least, make sense. The long surname is the paternal name, followed by the maternal name. So, when Senior Gonzales says he's of, say, the Ortez family from his mother's side, it's readily apparent.

That's tradition. What Bunko-Fraud did, is anything BUT traditional.

Theft has a long tradition, though...and even though he wasn't able to plan or mastermind this one, he did okay on it...until he passed on his monthlong opportunity to vanish.

"SBF Remanded To Custody in Bahamas While He Fights Extradition Charges"

Folks... Alla youse have missed the finest irony of them all. Take a good look at where he is staying.

Suppose it takes 30 years before the Bahamas give him up to face jail time in the US... ? 😧🖕

Every single day he spends in the Bahamian rathole getting buggered is a lovely form of punishment, nicht wahr?

Hmmm, one might justifiably start to think 'someone' doesn't want him to TALK...!

View attachment 4634
Dems had contacts arrest SBF to prevent him testifying in public at congressional hearing(s). That would open the door the Conservatives smearing every Leftist Dem in congress as it is said they all got a Piece of the multi-Billion dollar Pie". They don't want to return.

FTX ally warned authorities days before Bankman-Fried arrest​

By FccedReporter
December 15, 2022

One of the closest lieutenants of FTX founder, Sam Bankman-Fried, warned Bahamian regulators about improper trades at the cryptocurrency exchange in the days running up to its collapse, according to court filings.

The revelation came in papers published as part of the bail hearing for Bankman-Fried, FTX’s former chief executive, who was arrested in the Bahamas on Monday and charged in the US on Tuesday over alleged fraud, money laundering and conspiracy.

(bankman) partnered with mccarthy to sabotage midterms

McCarthy, The Post reported in their September piece, led a “secretive,” anti-MAGA campaign within the GOP, using the party’s oligarch-funded pocketbook to “systematically weed out GOP candidates who could either cause McCarthy trouble if he becomes House speaker or jeopardizes GOP [establishment] victories.”

“Most” of the money (millions of dollars), reported The Post, “came from Ryan Salame, an executive at cryptocurrency exchange FTX.”

FTX, The Post explained, is “a major donor to both McCarthy’s own operation and to other groups backing McCarthy’s favored candidates.”

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 8.05.44 AM.png

more

Back
Top Bottom