Biden wants to coax Americans into electric cars.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Biden wants to coax Americans into electric cars. These 3 groups have other ideas.​

Tanya Snyder, Ben Lefebvre and Kelsey Tamborrino
Thu, April 13, 2023 at 11:00 AM EDT·8 min read

President Joe Biden’s attempt to force automobile companies to supercharge the supply of electric vehicles could spur a huge fight with the oil and gas industry — and provoke a partisan feeding frenzy from Republicans looking for their next gas-stoves-style culture war.

The automakers themselves — the industry most directly affected — expressed wary resignation about Wednesday's proposed pollution standards, despite cautioning that the swift transition Biden is envisioning may not be practical.

But elements of the oil industry, which has a lot to lose if gasoline-fueled cars fade from the nation’s highways, are already suing to block a previous Biden-era auto pollution rule. The ethanol industry, whose product is blended into gasoline, joined that lawsuit. So did several Republican-led states, who argued that the Environmental Protection Agency lacks the authority to order such a sweeping change in how Americans get around.

More:

The word coax implies gentle persuasion using positive reinforcement. That is not what the regime is doing. " The Biden regime wants to coerce Americans into electric cars" or "force Americans into electric cars" would be a more honest headline.

The electric grid won't handle the load... but okay!

Ready? FIRE!! Aim...

Ban cars that work, that are useful, by imposing fantasy regulations that are impossible to comply with.

We're gonna become Cuba, in the years ahead - the only cars will be old cars, and people will make money rebuilding hulks from parts purchased from Japan or Korea as scrap. Make new bodies to replace rusted-out ones, with sheet steel using a big, contoured hole in the ground as a buck, to beat the steel against.

That is where we're going.

Kunstler-Logo-2-res72-final-e1372906270122.png

Ban cars that work, that are useful, by imposing fantasy regulations that are impossible to comply with.

We're gonna become Cuba, in the years ahead - the only cars will be old cars, and people will make money rebuilding hulks from parts purchased from Japan or Korea as scrap. Make new bodies to replace rusted-out ones, with sheet steel using a big, contoured hole in the ground as a buck, to beat the steel against.

That is where we're going.

Kunstler-Logo-2-res72-final-e1372906270122.png
You won't even be able to do that. They'll make the old cars illegal because of "emissions". So worse than Cuba.

when I see people driving electric cars, my first thought is "what a freaking moron". who would pay so much for a vehicle that is significantly less useful than the lowest end gas vehicle? I mean, why would you pay so much for a car that only has a range of about 150 in the summer time, less in the winter.

Turns out, the video is probably of a ng vehicle. But whatever...

*Really don't get this crap.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved the measure called Advanced Clean Fleets, which would prohibit the sale of all new medium and heavy-duty vehicles by 2036 and ban new diesel trucks from ports and railyards from next year.

The new regulation applies to local, state and federal government vehicles as well as fleets owned by entities with annual revenues of $50m or more that own, operate or direct at least one vehicle in California and have a total of 50 or more vehicles. It applies to medium- and heavy-duty on-road vehicles weighing more than 3,856 kg, as well as off-road yard tractors and light-duty mail and package delivery vehicles.

LONDON/DETROIT, March 20 (Reuters) - For many electric vehicles, there is no way to repair or assess even slightly damaged battery packs after accidents, forcing insurance companies to write off cars with few miles - leading to higher premiums and undercutting gains from going electric.

And now those battery packs are piling up in scrapyards in some countries, a previously unreported and expensive gap in what was supposed to be a "circular economy."

From the link:

The U.S. Postal Service really didn’t want battery-electric delivery trucks, but some White House pressure quelled that. Now, the first off-the-shelf Ford Transit EVs are carrying the mail.

The Postal Service also showed off its first set of electric vehicle charging stations at its South Atlanta Sorting and Delivery Center on Monday. The service plans hundreds of charging stations for what eventually will be the nation’s largest fleet of electric vehicles.

"Biden wants to coax Americans into electric cars."
....and we want to coax him into an Alzheimer's facility. Lol

What can't you "get" about it? If anyone here did "get it", I'd have bet money it woulda been you.

I'm a retired hvy truck fleet mechanic. I understand ICE's, not EV's and the push to make them mainstream.

I'm a retired hvy truck fleet mechanic. I understand ICE's, not EV's and the push to make them mainstream.
The push for EV's is due to your Party trying to kill the petrochemical industry.

I'd thought they made themselves clear on that. Your boy Biden himself said he wanted to shut it down, when referring to the industry during the campaign.

That's why they want you in a less capable vehicle.

Here's a vid that sums up his position. Whoever made it obviously "gets it", as they seem to support the bs.

He also said he'd be ok with jailing petrochemical energy company executives for "what they've done".

What they've "done" is to provide a legal product that people (and the gov) wanted, and used it to build the nation.
....but he wants to jail them for having done so?

Do you "get it" now?

You're barking up the wrong tree here Joe. I don't give two flying fucks about EV's. Prefer ICE vehicles.

I don't have a political party. Vote for the candidate, not along any party lines.

From 2016

How will electric vehicles affect oil demand?​

More than half a million new electric cars hit the world’s roads last year, making it a question of how, not if, energy demand will be affected in the future. So, what will this mean for traditional resources such as oil? BP Magazine considers the possibilities with chief economist Spencer Dale.​

Imagine a time when electric cars could outsell gasoline cars by ten to one. It may seem unlikely, but that era has been and gone. This was actually a reality in the United States at the turn of the 20th century, when 600 electric taxis roamed the streets of New York and an electric car held the land speed record.

More:

Electric vehicles: an analysis of adoption and the future of oil demand​

As the world moves towards the electrification of the transportation sector, demand for oil will be replaced by demand for electricity.
To highlight the EV impact on oil consumption, the above infographic shows how much oil has been and will be saved every day between 2015 and 2025 by various types of electric vehicles, according to BloombergNEF.

You're barking up the wrong tree here Joe. I don't give two flying fucks about EV's. Prefer ICE vehicles.

I don't have a political party. Vote for the candidate, not along any party lines.

Every liberal democrat that I know says the exact same thing. And they vote the party line every year. It's almost as if they realize there is a stigma about admitting to being a liberal democrat.

A guy at the golf course recently.

"Oh, I'm not one of those democrats."

You voted for a dementia-ridden pedophile whose pockets are stuffed with Chinese money.

"Well, yeah, but I couldn't vote for Trump. He's a meanie."

Ok. The candidate you voted for says he wants to kill the fossil fuel industry.

Is that better? You voted for the push to EV's that you say "don't get'.

Attacking fossil fuels and the push for EV's is a plank in the party platform of the guy you voted for because you clearly don't like mean tweets.

In the future, it might be wise to consider checking on what the guy you want to vote for supports, prior to voting for him. That way you'll "get" why he does the things he does.

Back in my day, we didn't have all this government hootenanny pushin' electric contraptions on us like it's the second comin'! No sir, we had good ol' gas-guzzlin' cars that roared like lions and guzzled fuel like it was goin' out of style! None of this whisper-quiet, tree-huggin' nonsense on wheels rollin' around like they own the place!

No sir! Back in my day, we burned trash on the street and breathed in clouds of smoke in between puffs on a cigarette and we liked it! The government oughta be mindin' their own business instead of pushin' these electric tin cans on us like it's the answer to all our problems. What happened to good ol' American muscle and freedom on the open road?

I tell ya, we didn't need the government tellin' us what to drive or how to get around. We made our choices and lived with 'em, none of this hand-holdin' and coddlin' from Uncle Sam! Let us roar down the roads in our gas-guzzlin' monsters, feelin' the power and the rumble beneath us – that's the American way!

Back in my day, we didn't have all this government hootenanny pushin' electric contraptions on us like it's the second comin'! No sir, we had good ol' gas-guzzlin' cars that roared like lions and guzzled fuel like it was goin' out of style! None of this whisper-quiet, tree-huggin' nonsense on wheels rollin' around like they own the place!

No sir! Back in my day, we burned trash on the street and breathed in clouds of smoke in between puffs on a cigarette and we liked it! The government oughta be mindin' their own business instead of pushin' these electric tin cans on us like it's the answer to all our problems. What happened to good ol' American muscle and freedom on the open road?

I tell ya, we didn't need the government tellin' us what to drive or how to get around. We made our choices and lived with 'em, none of this hand-holdin' and coddlin' from Uncle Sam! Let us roar down the roads in our gas-guzzlin' monsters, feelin' the power and the rumble beneath us – that's the American way!
The free market is not perfect in the automobile world. They still made an Edsel and Vega.

The free market is not perfect in the automobile world. They still made an Edsel and Vega.
The free market is always chaotic. Everything from Beanie Babies to Tulip Mania.

Those two examples are flawed - both as products and as examples. The Edsel was nothing but a Ford with an odd redo on the front and rear, and a LOT of hype. Someone inside Ford should have sensed that most people would think having an enlarged vagina as a front grille, would be ugly and gauche.

The Vega was what happens when a previously-successful corporation designs a new product, based ONLY on cutting costs, with zero regard to actual suitability and durability in use. The Vega would never have been designed by a small company. Much better cars by startup companies, led to those startups failing. Successful new car companies (back when that was possible, before government regulation-moats) made their name on VALUE. Both the new German brand, Volkswagen (before they were taken over by NSU, early 1970s) and Japanese domestic makers (Honda, Toyota, Nissan) all brought incredible value for the money, to consumers.

It's a messy business. ALL business is messy. Because humans are chaotic; and trying to eliminate that with central control, leads you to...a Soviet Utopia.

Back
Top Bottom