Bloomberg: Gold Traders Most Bullish in Month on Debt Crisis

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unobtanium

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...onth-on-european-debt-crisis-commodities.html

Well, Bloomberg isn't always right, and neither are traders. As a contrarian at times, the theory is that when everyone who likes something is "all in" - the first guy to sell triggers a downward avalanche - no new buyers, as everyone who would is all in, already. That drives the price down, triggers more selling, and the cycle does its thing once again. Everyone being bullish is therefore a bearish indicator.

Stinks, doesn't it? But this pattern repeats over and over and people never seem to learn.

Blood in the streets soon - it'll be time to buy.

It is quite normal for gold to go down just after I buy, so wait until Thursday before you guys buy...! No it´s true, it is a fact, even if statistically improbable that gold goes down right away some 80% or more of the time after I buy it.

In my case, I BTFS! But, it´s worked out OK over the decades...

and

Thanks for the "after Thursday" insider's buying tip, DoChen! Seriously though, it seems to happen to all of us, doesn't it?

But the great thing is that whether it goes up a little or down a little right after you buy, you still win. Like someone recently said on this forum (rephrased) -

Buying precious metals: You get to spend AND save at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm long-medium term bullish on physical metal, short-medium term bearish on paper metal.

What's interesting is that I recently heard a report on BBurg that Chinese gold buying was at record levels, yet gold is going down - that's a prime indicator of a bear market, when good news has no effect. I tend to think it's transitory (the real meaning, not the bernanke's), and think someone is just having to sell a lot to raise "money" or meet margin calls.

But a good sized dip shakes out a lot of people, and "once burned, twice shy" if it's big enough, so it takes awhile for the enthusiasm to return to the market.

The reason I think this is temporary is the inevitability of more printing - devaluation is just about the only way to destroy debt in nominal terms, and that's been known for quite awhile - they're just boiling the frog here I think. Because any other way of destroying debt that in truth cannot be paid sets a precedent that the banksters are more afraid of than torture and death...markdowns on principle won't happen short of a world war or similar. So they really have no other way but to pay it all back in worthless currency, thus, the currency must be rendered worthless. But they can play cat and mouse longer than you can remain solvent, so watch your back out there.

Agreed, they have one tool and one tool only - more printing. The question is when and how much. I think that those in power want a hard drop before announcing another round of printing so that the resulting spike in metals doesn't draw as much attention as it would if everything where hitting record highs.

Those of weaker constitutions, more faith in fiat, and love for the status quo may get shaken out, but these are the times when we will thrive. The lower it goes the happier I get because it means I can stack that much more before the inevitable skyrocket happens.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…