carvana blow up and used car prices

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

A year after bankruptcy concerns, Carvana is leaner and ready for its Wall Street redemption​

• Carvana over the last 18 months aggressively restructured its operations and debt amid bankruptcy concerns to pivot from growth to cost-cutting.
  • The efforts thus far have been successful, propelling Carvana’s stock last year from less than $5 per share to more than $55 to begin 2024.
  • CEO and Chairman Ernie Garcia III told CNBC in a rare, wide-ranging interview that much of the company’s cost-cutting is behind it.
  • The company still has a daunting debt load, due later this decade.
PHOENIX – As layoffs and cost cuts roil Wall Street, from retail and shipping to tech and media, embattled online used car sales giant Carvana says its own restructuring is in the rear view.

Carvana over the last 18 months aggressively restructured its operations and debt amid bankruptcy concerns to pivot from growth to cost-cutting. They were crucial moves for the company and its largest shareholders, including CEO and Chairman Ernie Garcia III and his father, Ernie Garcia II. The two control 88% of Carvana through special voting shares.

More:

They are still absolutely going down. The debt got larger. Their inventory is Vastly overpriced (and therefore overvalued on its balance sheet).

I don't have analyses to support my conclusion; but I think they probably are NOT going down.

I don't know the debt load; but I can see the auto market. New cars are both unaffordable and undesirable, because of complexity which makes major repairs likely and expensive - exceeding the value of the car, or of the buyer's loan.

For the next decade, until the government gets its regulatory mess corrected, if it ever does...until then, USED is the way to go.

And a nationwide used-car retailer has advantages. It can move inventory easier - as part of its structure. Rust has always been the bugaboo in buying a used car. Southwestern used cars don't rust.

Used luxury cars appear in some areas more-frequently...Florida, say; God's Waiting Room. There would be a greater market for gently-used luxury cars far away.

In-house financing would be able to get past banks' reluctance to loan long notes on older used cars - knowing, say, that some Toyota models, 15 years old, are sometimes sound enough, and valued enough, to arrange financing using the car as collateral.

It all depends on the debt structure. Those stupid car elevators were a gimmick - an expensive waste of money. Building the business with a structure that minimizes debt risk and cost, could lead to a growth business...perhaps even expanding into other nations, as American former-middle-class subjects, need cars, cannot afford new American cars, and see American used-cars' prices explode.

Importing 25-year-old cars that do not comply with regulations, is still legal, I believe. Bringing cars from Mexico, made by Toyota or Nissan (or even VW!) will be simple and sometimes sturdy...not a bad buy for someone trying to get to work in the New Normal.

You can buy a Used car all over the damn place. Why would you buy from CVNA at 20-30% higher prices?
Don't know their prices - never bought from them.

But I understand why a chain. After being screwed by private owners, slimy lots, and even new-car dealers' used-car sections...AND seeing, in various parts of the country, the problems the weather, and buyers' preferences, make in terms of body rot, model selection, etc...there is a need to move used product from one region to another.

I bought at CarMax. It was not a bargain; but it wasn't grossly overpriced. I wanted a Toyota, and preferred an older model. There were none in good shape in my market, so I wound up going two states away, where the CarMax lot there had a likely candidate.

Police Seize Stolen Car Man Bought From Carvana​

Feb 14, 2024

It happened in FL and Carvana says they will take care of it.

12:55

Sure they will. I guess that is one way to make money, sell stolen cars. I'd stay farther away from them than Gainsville Coins.
My take, reading some stories of Vroom's collapse and Carvana's problems...my take is, it's untrained staff, not necessarily criminal intent.

Buyers in some states have not gotten titles, long after the car is delivered. They'll get you a temporary tag. Then another. In states that have limits, they'll get a third in another state.

It's that all 50 states have different requirements for sales and titling. And those change all the time. Some states require notarization of all signatures; some do not. Some states allow dealers to skip titling - the title the seller delivered, can be reassigned to the buyer with a note on the bottom, done by a licensed dealer.

And some do not.

Some states have ridiculously short periods after which a used car requires no title. Some do not, and if a title is lost, it can NOT be replaced with a bonded quit-claim title. In Ohio, some people have had to junk good used cars because the title was lost or the transfer was not acceptable to the DMV.

So...Carvana's 22-year-old University-of-Phoenix grads, just aren't brought up to speed, and probably don't have manuals to guide them and walk them through how they can do it from their office location to another state's DMV.

Back
Top Bottom