Cigarettes are Banned!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

And the government creates yet another black market for organized crime.
They're creating a lot more.

The pressure, in the boiler, is getting into the red zone. This kind of authoritarian idiocy, all over the formerly free West, is going to lead to violent uprisings.

People are at their limits. ESPECIALLY now with the Death Jab killing huge numbers of people, famous and not.

Statistics New Zealand has found that 8 percent of New Zealand adults smoked daily, down from 16 percent a decade ago. 8.3 percent of adults vape daily, an increase of 1 percent from six years ago. Indigenous Maori populations smoke more than the average New Zealander, with around one-fifth reporting that they smoke.

Looks like the NZ population that is inclined to smoking is already transitioning to vaping instead if those numbers are valid.

From the link:

LISBON (Reuters) - Portugal's government on Thursday presented legislation to extend a ban on smoking to outdoor areas including covered terraces and to restrict tobacco sales, as it hopes to raise a tobacco-free generation by 2040.

"With this amendment, we will start today to protect the adults of tomorrow," Health Minister Manuel Pizarro told a press conference, dismissing criticism from some business groups who say the measures are too harsh and discriminatory.

Why is it that governments never learn anything from any social experiment that fails (no matter how much the greater good is). If anything, looking at the failed social experiments of the U.S. We have the experiments of alcohol, drugs. On the world stage we have the banning of DDT which directly led to an increase in the population of mosquitoes which in turn led to a increase of malaria. We also have had to ban certain insecticides which affected the lives of many humans. We were killing ourselves.

Has there ever been a social experiment for the greater good that didn't turn around to our detriment. An individual wants to make a change for their own good in order for a ground change to happen.

Man I may have to move to Cuba. They banned smoking in restaurants long ago. However, every place I went to I lit up a cigar and they immediately brought me an ashtray. Never once did anyone complain. Go to a persons house that is normally smoke free and they invite you in even when they see you smoking and again, bring you an ashtray.

All these countries that pretend to be free have forgotten what real freedom is.

That's kinda crazy because Portugal has been known as one of the most open Drug countries in the world. Most of them are somewhat legal.
Maybe it's because all tobacco does is to cause one to become addicted to it, while all those other drugs at least give one a buzz?

Man I may have to move to Cuba. They banned smoking in restaurants long ago. However, every place I went to I lit up a cigar and they immediately brought me an ashtray. Never once did anyone complain. Go to a persons house that is normally smoke free and they invite you in even when they see you smoking and again, bring you an ashtray.

All these countries that pretend to be free have forgotten what real freedom is.
You go to Cuba? Reported.

Why is it that governments never learn anything from any social experiment that fails (no matter how much the greater good is). If anything, looking at the failed social experiments of the U.S. We have the experiments of alcohol, drugs. On the world stage we have the banning of DDT which directly led to an increase in the population of mosquitoes which in turn led to a increase of malaria. We also have had to ban certain insecticides which affected the lives of many humans. We were killing ourselves.

Has there ever been a social experiment for the greater good that didn't turn around to our detriment. An individual wants to make a change for their own good in order for a ground change to happen.

I remember the good old days when we would DDT the kids. Kids were a lot tougher back then.

^^^^ that was the only problem with ddt.
Ie: overuse.

They applied the stuff waaaay more than it needed to be. Apparently they went by the idea that if a teaspoon of something works, than a truckload will work even more better.

They f'ed it up for everyone.

ZURICH, May 24 (Reuters) - Switzerland will ban advertising of tobacco products and e-cigarettes aimed at young people, the government said on Wednesday, implementing a decision passed in a referendum last year.

The cabinet said it would strengthen its already planned restrictions to bar advertising in places and media where young people can see it.

BENGALURU/NEW DELHI, May 31 (Reuters) - India unveiled guidelines on Wednesday requiring streaming platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video to display prominent warnings about smoking and other forms of tobacco use while airing shows with such scenes.

While film and television certification bodies already moderate public content in India, its laws have few provisions to censor content on popular online platforms.

The Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products Amendment Rules, 2023 made it mandatory for such platforms to display "anti-tobacco health spots" of at least 30 seconds each at the start and middle of a programme, a notice from the health ministry showed.

I remember the good old days when we would DDT the kids. Kids were a lot tougher back then.

Back in the '60's those of us who sent to Australia for R&R were greeted with what some guys were saying was a dusting down of DDT in Sydney after a heck of a long flight from VN and a layover in Darwin. It really made a fellow welcome being dusted. They were not worried about health problems back then. Of course we were the 50's kids who rode around with seat belts on rode bicycles without head gear.

So...the people who were so militant opposing a POT ban, have nothing to say about banning TOBACCO.

Probably it's either because, variously, they're only concerned with THEIR OWN preferences, or - like Soros - they're doing some chemical social-engineering.

Something that relaxes the mind, and aids in focus...BAD! Something that bakes the brain...GOOD!

FWIW, pot is harder on the lungs than tobacco. Ever see the residue in a pot pipe? That goes into lungs, too. I suspect we'll see an increase in lung disorders in users...if there are any significant numbers who resisted the Jab but who smoke the weed.

So...the people who were so militant opposing a POT ban, have nothing to say about banning TOBACCO.

Probably it's either because, variously, they're only concerned with THEIR OWN preferences, or - like Soros - they're doing some chemical social-engineering.

Something that relaxes the mind, and aids in focus...BAD! Something that bakes the brain...GOOD!

FWIW, pot is harder on the lungs than tobacco. Ever see the residue in a pot pipe? That goes into lungs, too. I suspect we'll see an increase in lung disorders in users...if there are any significant numbers who resisted the Jab but who smoke the weed.
You are correct. My wife is a cardio-thoracic nurse. Every Cheech & Chong aficionado they see in her unit is a train wreck.

So far, Brookline, Massachusetts is the only jurisdiction in the United States to have enacted a tobacco ban. Brookline bans the sale of tobacco to anyone born after the year 2000. It doesn’t take an entrepreneurial genius to figure out ways to make money legally selling cigarettes to adults from the other side of the Brookline town line.

Earlier this year, California lawmakers considered making the Golden State the first in the nation to enact New Zealand’s tobacco prohibition model into law. A bill to that effect failed to advance during this year’s legislative session. Interestingly, California’s major anti‐smoking and anti‐vaping groups chose not to lobby for the bill. A Cal Matters report quoted Autumn Ogden‐Smith, director of California state legislation for the American Cancer Society Action Network, saying, “This is not the time to tackle this. We’re trying to do the clean‐up on the flavored tobacco ban. We’re having enforcement issues.”

As I wrote here, banning menthol tobacco creates its own set of harmful unintended consequences.

New Zealand’s recent about‐face on tobacco prohibition will hopefully put to rest similar efforts in California and other states. ...

Remember. It's not to effectively ban smoking or cigarettes.

It's to CONDITION THE PUBLIC to ACCEPT such bans. We'd seen this before - banning smoking in transatlantic flights; and then banning it on short-hop flights; and then banning it at airports.

Then, banning smoking on AMTRAK - which used to have smoking cars. If there's one thing that's in plentiful supply on a train, it's fresh, free air.

But we got conditioned. Which was the point. It's not even about stopping smoking; it's about ACCEPTING CONTROL by the Social Engineers.

According to press reports, the New Zealand parliament is scheduled to take up, as a matter of “public urgency” (enabling lawmakers to bypass a public comment period), repealing the ban on the sale of tobacco products to anyone born after January 1, 2009. The ban was passed during the previous administration, in which Jacinda Ardern was Prime Minister. The ban was scheduled to go into effect this July.

The repeal is part of a 100‐day plan introduced by the new coalition government led by Prime Minister Christopher Luxon. The repeal also stops the government from forcing 90 percent of tobacco retailers to close and forcing cigarette manufacturers to reduce nicotine content by 95 percent.

More:

Back
Top Bottom