COGNITIVE WARFARE AND THE BATTLE TO BE YOU

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learnt to bear its ills without being overcome by them.

Carl Jung

Becoming Your True Self - The Psychology of Carl Jung​

be happy, but not too happy​

I write about personal finance, obviously, but what also fascinates me is how many of the strategies we recommend for dealing with money challenges could just as easily apply to regular life stuff, and vice versa.

When I talk to people about cashflow management, for example, I talk about nonjudgemental self-awareness as an alternative way to think about budgeting discipline. When we develop spending priorities it's like mindfulness and intentionality, but with money.

Managing money behaviors (including investing!) is a little bit like managing your animal instincts, your most impulsive emotions.

Think about all the times in your life when you've reacted with pure animal instinct. Whether it's lust, or panic, or anger, or pleasure. Those feelings were probably pretty intense, and I'm guessing there's at least a 50/50 chance you later regretted actions you took without thinking them through: a misguided one-night stand, a fight with a loved one, or a "wtf?" work email sent too quickly.

More:

LONGING
I long
for the days of my youth
when I thought that
everything
had reason and order
but as I aged
I saw the world
become more frenzied
with disorder
it's a circus out there
and I'm just one
of many
crushed peanut shells
forgotten on the dirty floor
of the big top
as a young man
I was just fooling myself
things never had order
because the clowns always ran the show.
they say:
"step right up, and for a mere pittance
you can see the seven wonders of the world!"
"try our game of chance,
it's easy
you're a winner every time
for sure".
rjc...2020, from "Roll the Dice"

Not promoting, just repay the author back for the use of his stuff:

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.

The Art of Gratitude | This ONE Thing Will Change Your Life Forever | Short Film​

We live in a world of bests. Everyone is on an endless search for the best house, best car, best spouse, best kids, best job, best city, and best vacation. Our entire lives have become taken over by comparison and competition to the point where we can no longer see or appreciate the miracles all around us. Great is no longer good enough, it's got to be the best. Beauty no longer matters unless it's very expensive and exclusive.

While having dreams and working towards them is what makes us human, this endless quest for peak experiences diminishes the wonder and joy we can feel between those peaks. And it makes us miss out on the beauty all around us. Just because we are surrounded by infinite miracles at all times, doesn't make them any less special.

This film takes viewers on a journey back to the natural gratitude we all have inside us. Instead of taking everything for granted, this film shows us a new way of seeing, and being in, this perfect, magical universe. Gratitude is the most important human emotion because it alone determines the quality of our life. This film is a roadmap back to our grateful hearts.

Rich or poor, we all have this precious gift of life. Only by changing our mindset can we lifts ourselves up through the hard times so we can make the most of our brief time on this beautiful green rock. Sometimes, we just need a little reminder of how precious this life truly is.

15:49

Nothing special or earthshattering. Just an article I think is an interesting read. Take it fwiw.

Conformity, Cruelty, and Political Activism (update)​

John Dos Passos was an American writer. In his younger years, he was a man of the Left, and, like many leftists and some others he was very involved with the Sacco and Vanzetti case.

But he was more than a little disturbed by some of those that shared his viewpoint. Describing one protest he had attended, he wrote:

From sometime during this spring of 1926 of from the winter before a recollection keeps rising to the surface. The protest meeting is over and I’m standing on a set of steps looking into the faces of the people coming out of the hall. I’m frightened by the tense righteousness of the faces. Eyes like a row of rifles aimed by a firing squad. Chins thrust forward into the icy night. It’s almost in marching step that they stride out into the street. It’s the women I remember most, their eyes searching out evil through narrowed lids. There’s something threatening about this unanimity of protest. They are so sure they are right.

I agree with their protest: I too was horrified by this outrage. I’m not one either to stand by and see injustice done. But do I agree enough? A chill goes down my spine..Whenever I remember the little scene I tend to turn it over in my mind. Why did my hackles rise at the sight of the faces of these good people coming out of the hall?

Was it a glimpse of the forming of a new class conformity that like all class conformities was bent on riding the rest of us?

More:

I Had A Great Conversation With This Old Guy About People​

Interesting vid about people in general.

25 mins.

image474×588 55.9 KB

A young couple moved into a new house.
The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw her neighbor hanging the washing outside.
"That laundry is not very clean; she doesn’t know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better soap powder.
Her husband looked on, remaining silent.
Every time her neighbour hung her washing out to dry, the young woman made the same comments.
A month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband, “Look, she’s finally learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this?”
The husband replied, “I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows.”

And so it is with life…
What we see when watching others depends on the clarity of the window through which we look.
So don’t be too quick to judge others, especially if your perspective of life is clouded by anger, jealousy, negativity or unfulfilled desires.
Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.

Back
Top Bottom