Coin Show Thread

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Barrettone

Fly on the Wall
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Ok folks...you ain't gonna believe this s#!t. It is a total first for me. I go to my local coin show looking to find a little gold or silver and check out prices. I've been on a sovereign and 20 francs bender lately. Now granted, it was just a small 20-25 table show, but there was literally not ONE PIECE of gold to be found. Not even a 1/10 oz or some flower gold in a vial. Only 5 tables had ANY AG, and the best deal I could find on generics was $6.50 over spot (33% premium!). Eagles were $37 (87% premium!). I ended up buying five slabbed eagles from various years that were all MS69's for $40 each. Can you believe that?!?! I bought SLABBED stuff for just $3 more than a BU eagle...unfreakingreal. All the dealers said they couldn't get gold in any denomination without a ridiculous premium so they just gave up. They said even the foreign stuff is drying up. As for silver, they are telling me replacement costs are so high and availability of product is so low that they are giving up on silver too. They said the next show will probably be "numi only" at the rate it is going. My jaw f'ing hit the floor!!! Apparently it's not all a bunch of silver pumpers online after all. It's hitting the local show circuit hard. I figured maybe this show was a one-off, so I called a couple of my local dealers (heavy hitters with bullion at the bigger area shows over 50 tables), and all three of the ones I called echoed what I heard today. They are actually limiting their show appearances and only selling to their most loyal customers for ANY gold or silver bullion. 90% was going for 22xface. That's like 55% premium!!! I'm dumbfounded. All I can say is buckle up buttercups. This s#!t is fer real.

Ok folks...you ain't gonna believe this s#!t. It is a total first for me. I go to my local coin show looking to find a little gold or silver and check out prices. I've been on a sovereign and 20 francs bender lately. Now granted, it was just a small 20-25 table show, but there was literally not ONE PIECE of gold to be found. Not even a 1/10 oz or some flower gold in a vial. Only 5 tables had ANY AG, and the best deal I could find on generics was $6.50 over spot (33% premium!). Eagles were $37 (87% premium!). I ended up buying five slabbed eagles from various years that were all MS69's for $40 each. Can you believe that?!?! I bought SLABBED stuff for just $3 more than a BU eagle...unfreakingreal. All the dealers said they couldn't get gold in any denomination without a ridiculous premium so they just gave up. They said even the foreign stuff is drying up. As for silver, they are telling me replacement costs are so high and availability of product is so low that they are giving up on silver too. They said the next show will probably be "numi only" at the rate it is going. My jaw f'ing hit the floor!!! Apparently it's not all a bunch of silver pumpers online after all. It's hitting the local show circuit hard. I figured maybe this show was a one-off, so I called a couple of my local dealers (heavy hitters with bullion at the bigger area shows over 50 tables), and all three of the ones I called echoed what I heard today. They are actually limiting their show appearances and only selling to their most loyal customers for ANY gold or silver bullion. 90% was going for 22xface. That's like 55% premium!!! I'm dumbfounded. All I can say is buckle up buttercups. This s#!t is fer real.
You gotta tell us roughly where this was.

Online dealers have to compete on price with everyone. Inventory and premiums there should be indicative of the broader market. When Apmex starts begging customers to sell back to them, you know the wholesale market is getting tight.

I had read about the Apmex email prior - don't remember where, but wasn't on GIM2. That's why I mentioned it. There is another online dealer that is offering $12 over spot for ASEs. The bidding wars are just starting.

$12.00 over for SAE's. Posted in Rafi Farber thread. Moneymetals.
If that's what they're BUYING at I don't even want to know what the premium(s) will be for resale.

Kilo bars were as low as spot + $1.79 at Bold a few weeks ago. If it wasn't such a hassel I would swap some now.

Apmex is offering 1 kilo bars "As low as $4.09 per oz over spot" (10+ bars paid with check) for bars from Pioneer Metals. Their secondary market listing says "Available November 08, 2022".

We might be getting down to the recycled silver only being available at a readonable price until energy costs make it prohibitively expensive relative to a rigged spot market.

...this all feels...

familiar somehow..anyone else?

we've been waiting so long, wondering...it feels familiar, like it's about to rain, and all your outdoor chores are done

and you feel kinda< fk yeah

but, is THIS the one? or will it be another one...?

i'm fatigued and ready to watch the election...

🍿

edit to add:
what's your local LCS saying???

i've not seen mine in a few weeks, times were different back then, weren't they? kinda...sorta...

idk, i'll have to pay them a visit...

FYI — The Massapequa Coin Club will be having its annual coin show, March 4th, 2023, 8AM-3PM, at the Harriman House, 517 Central Ave, Bethpage, NY 11714. (New venue) 35+ dealers. Many of the dealers are hobbyists dealers along with the usual area professionals.

Young Numismatists forums held all day.

Free parking.

If you’re in the area, stop on by.

Back
Top Bottom