Crank Profiles

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Crank profiles #4: Will Stancil's "theory" of vibes​

Stancil reinvents idealist psychologism, gets confused about chaos theory, declares the eternal question of political behavior "easy"​

Every so often I like to write about crank theories of politics, so today I’d like to look at an essay called Vibes in Politics written by Twitter personality Will Stancil. As always, I return to Martin Gardner’s classic signs of a crank from Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science, and begin with the last:

Cranks often make up word and phrases that are supposed to have a special meaning.

The reason that cranks like to make up words is that it allows them to proceed unencumbered by the body of knowledge and reasoning that we’ve attached to the old ones. A physics crank, for example, might propose to replace gravity with a new force called Carlism — even though this new force is clearly just a slight modification of the theory of gravity. So why change the name? Because then if someone responds “that’s not how gravity works, and you have not shown us a single experimental result or reference relevant to all of the research on gravity,” he can respond: “but we’re not talking about gravity. We’re talking about Carlism.”

More:

Back
Top Bottom