Did GLD And Other Gold ETFs Kill Gold Stocks?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/did-gld-and-other-gold-etfs-kill-gold-stocks

Pretty sure this is nothing new to anyone reading this forum. :judge:

I think this is dead on correct. It has become quite clear that convenience trumps diligence - until it all goes horribly wrong.

The more educated investors get, the more money that will come out of GLD and the more that will go into physical. Hopefully, people will wake up to the value of these miners.

I can only concur.

50% of me says I did a good job of picking good value miners. The other 50% tells me I overlooked the fact that the 'current generation' have no clue whatsoever what they are doing with their money, and miners (unlike APL) are not on the radar, however much value they represent.

Still, a form of common sense tells me to keep picking away at them, because common sense prevails. Eventually.

As an erstwhile stock-picker, I generally dislike ETFs as they cause too much correlation in the markets, fees aside. I used to love trading copper, FCX on the way up, good company, and some other not so good company short on the way down. Used to be you could do something like this almost no matter what the commodity, and get that effective leverage since their profits after capex had that effect...now, not so much, the good guys get hammered with the bad when things go down, and the bad rise with the good when things get better, due to buying and selling by the ETF in question. Might as well just trade the indexes anymore. It stinks.

Then add - is there really all that gold in GLD? Fees? Just another way for people in the finance business who lack the skill and courage to trade themselves to skim off the rest of us. That's the real deal there - if you can't do it on your own, figure out a way to charge everyone else for being a failure yourself.

Just a little thought experiment:
Why would anyone buy PHYS (Sprotts physical gold ETF) instead of GLD if they were both equally backed by physical unpledged and non-leased gold?
PHYS constantly trades with a premium over NAV. Same question with regards to PSLV and SLV.
Simple answer: Those investors who actually do their homework and read the stinking prospectus would never touch GLD/SLV. It´s a scam backed by nothing.
That´s why CNBC had to do a propaganda piece in which they pretended to show some of the gold bars of GLD.

It later came out that they had shown gold bars whose serial numbers did NOT appear on the fund´s list of gold bars. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/some-observations-bob-pisanis-visit-glds-vault :doodoo:
Also read this:

I think we are just stuck having to wait for sentiment to shift in favor of the miners.. Last sentiments numbers I saw were showing a 0% bullish % for the miners. That is an extreme.

I think we are just stuck having to wait for sentiment to shift in favor of the miners.. Last sentiments numbers I saw were showing a 0% bullish % for the miners. That is an extreme.
From a contrarian perspective: The perfect time to buy.

More: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-vs-gold-stocks-goldman-releases-2012-gold-odyssey-year-ahead

Realistically...

All goldman is saying is that management for these companies needs to do a better job of marketing. Get businessmen in there instead of geologists. They want numbers to be "smoothed" out. I'm sure goldman has plenty of recommendations for people to take over these positions

I know that doing such things will make it more palatable for the everyday investor and should help decrease the volatility. I'm just worried that the unintended consequence is that we will end up with a bunch of mining companies with fake numbers.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…