Dozens of cops hurt after SIG Sauer handguns allegedly fired on their own — without even being touched

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

night scene
Benefactor
Reaction score

Dozens of cops hurt after SIG Sauer handguns allegedly fired on their own — without even being touched​

One of America’s most popular guns is a “ticking time bomb” that allegedly fires spontaneously and has injured dozens of cops.

The SIG Sauer P320 semi-automatic handgun is used by some 1,000 law enforcement agencies from the local to the federal level, as well as being a popular civilian purchase.

But its manufacturer is facing a slew of lawsuits alleging that it can fire even when holstered, even when the trigger isn’t pulled, and even when it is just sitting at rest, lawyers allege.

I would like some explanation for how the pistol fires while it is "just sitting at rest". That sounds like bullshit.

I also found this story from 2021 (two years ago) on the same subject:

According to the OP article, there is one lawyer who is bringing multiple lawsuits representing LEOs. It sounds like the pistol only fires spontaneously when handled by LEOs. Logically, that would, IMO, be highly indicative that it's a user error problem. It's similar to the complaints that were leveled at Glocks:

The following is a good read on the subject:

Maybe something in their holster or clothing is inadvertently catching on the trigger. Having a manual safety of some kind might alleviate the problem in that case, but ultimately, it's likely an issue of user error.

Interesting article originally published in 2018.

We recently published a news item that updates our readers on legal troubles the SIG Sauer P320 is encountering. Most recently, the Loudoun Times-Mirror website is reporting that a Loudoun County (Virginia) deputy has filed a lawsuit against SIG Sauer alleging that her fully-holstered P320 duty weapon discharged and sent a bullet into her leg. According to the newspaper’s account, the incident occurred this year on Feb. 7, “… when 37-year-old Loudoun County Deputy Marcie Vadnais went to the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy to attend a general instructor course.” The Times-Mirror further reported, “In accordance with academy policy, Deputy Vadnais began removing her firearm from her belt when she arrived.” According to the lawsuit, as she fed the belt through the holster’s first tooth, her SIG Sauer P320.

Remembered reading about drop tests a while back. Came up with this from2017.

I have a P320 (Compact model, 9mm). I will say this...it is a great range gun. 15 round mags, very accurate, smooth trigger. A bit large for carry purposes in my opinion, though others will disagree. While I don't like it for carry purposes, it is a good "nightstand" gun.

It could be that the trigger is a bit too smooth. It is a double-action trigger, so there is no external safety. And it seems to me (again, my opinion) that the trigger pull is a bit too smooth and short for being a double action.

Just my thoughts having shot the P320. Nothing scientific here, mind you...

Back
Top Bottom