Ethereum (ETH)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Etherium successfully completed it's merge and has been going through growing pains as some miners under the old system rebel against the new system (which doesn't reward them like the old system did). Anyways, while all cryptos are down bigly from their ATHs, I thought this news might prove significant down the road as it matures:

Follow up to post #32:

So it seems that Russia is fine with crypto as long as it's owned/controlled by Russian banks?

So if the Shanghai update is successful, there will likely be some short term pressure on ETH as folks liquidate ETH assets that have been locked for the last two years. However, I'm pretty sure that the price of ETH was way higher when folks locked their coins on ETH2, so I don't think there will be a lot of "profit taking". Longer term, I expect more investment into ETH staking as rewards can be realized, so it should be help drive more investment into ETH.

Etherium Shanghai update pushed to mid April:

Developers at Ethereum, the world’s second-biggest blockchain with a capitalization of US$231 billion, are set to upgrade the software network on Wednesday with reported new features and improvements to efficiency, cost and security.

However, the main feature of the so-called Shanghai upgrade – to take place at 10:27 p.m. UTC on Wednesday, according to the Ethereum Foundation – is the EIP-4895. This allows users to withdraw their staked Ether, or tokens deposited to support the operations of a blockchain in return for a passive income, usually in the form of more tokens.

10:30 pm UTC should be around 5:30 pm CST.

More:

Vitalik Buterin published a roadmap for Ethereum development:

I skimmed it and it looks like they do not yet have solutions in mind for these goals, so it might be a while before anything actually gets implemented.

More (incl. charts):

The Bitcoin network is not a system that scales well for high transaction volume, so I'm not sure that it will be able to compete with Ethereum (layer 2) based solutions, but it is interesting to see the development none-the-less.

Was Ethereum hacked?

I'm not seeing any news to that effect. Was your comment in response to the market price?

FWIW:

I see. The answer to your original question is No. Ethereum was not hacked. The issue with MEV bots is known. It's analogous to front running trades in traditional marketplaces. MEV bots work by analyzing pending transactions on the blockchain:

I read an article a while back and might have posted it in this thread about the issue that talked about ideas the Ethereum developers/community were hashing out to mitigate the MEV issue. It's been a while though and I don't recall the details.

A paradigm shift in Ethereum usage is likely to encourage the Ethereum decision makers to adjust the deflationary burn rate.

Details:

I don't know about that $3k target, but it is worth noting that network activity is picking up.

... ideas the Ethereum developers/community were hashing out to mitigate the MEV issue. ...

^^^ We talked a little bit about this back in October. Some recent reporting on a tangent to the issue:

More (long):

Last edited:
Related to the MEV issue:

I don't understand exactly what the tool does or how it is supposed to effect the benefits that are expected, but it sounds like a step in the right direction. The technology in crypto is ever advancing.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if the update, assuming it is successful, will be significant enough to lower gas (transaction) fees on par with Solana.

Test 1 of 3 for Ethereum's new Dencun upgrade revealed some bugs that had to be (and were) fixed. Testing continues:

No timeline was mentioned, but my personal guess based upon a very poorly informed understanding of the process is that testing will likely take another month or two to complete assuming no major hiccups are revealed. That would be around mid-late March. SEC has deadlines for deciding spot ETH applications near end of May.

Developers will run through Dencun on the Sepolia and Holesky testnets on Jan. 30 and Feb. 7, putting the upgrade on track to reach the main network in late February or early March.

That schedule is a bit more aggressive than what I was thinking earlier.

Dencun has the green light. I'm looking forward to seeing how much it reduces gas fees on Ethereum when it goes live.

Ethereum developers set a target date of March 13 for its long-awaited Dencun upgrade during a bi-weekly coordinating call on Thursday, officially triggering the countdown to the blockchain's biggest changes since April 2023.

March 13 - Dencun upgrade
May 23 - spot ETH ETF decision deadline for the SEC

BTC generally lifts all crypto boats and is likely to rise throughout the year. On top of that, Ethereum has it's own drivers that should encourage value growth.

AFAIK, Ethereum does not have a GBTC analogue in the ETF approval pool, so a May approval of the ETFs should be a much stronger lift than what BTC saw (because of GBTC selling).

Bernstein is a big player:

More:

March 13 - Dencun upgrade

Some more exposition on what the Dencun upgrade means for Ethereum:

More:

More:

tl;dr - No one really knows, but everyone expects it will be significant.

I half expect that the meme coins might crash a bit after the Dencun upgrade goes live as the small potatos can exit with reasonable gas fees. We'll see.

The silence from the SEC and lack of activity from ETF applicants seems to indicate that there is no inertia happening for a spot ETH ETF approval in May. Then again, I think most of the ETF applicants amended their ETH applications according to the guidance that the SEC was providing for the BTC ETFs prior to approval, so it may just be the case that there isn't that much fine tuning of the applications left to do if they already meet the bar the SEC set for the BTC ETFs.

Today is the day for the Dencun upgrade.

As I noted above in post #38, the market expectations of a SEC denial based upon lack of application updates might be off base. Application approvals in May look like they might cause a huge upside surprise.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…