Film from 4 days before the 1906 San Francisco earthquake

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SongSungAu

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
There's a neat YouTube channel for those folks who like to view restored films from days gone by. Here's one example he has on his channel....

San Francisco 1906 (New Version) in Color [VFX,60fps, Remastered] w/sound design added (11 min 38 sec):​

Published on Mar 30, 2022 by NASS​
I colorized , restored and I added a sky visual effect and created a sound design for this video of San Francisco 1906, A Trip Down Market Street, Shot on April 14, 1906, four days before the San Francisco earthquake and fire. From the front of a cable car, a motion picture camera records a trip down Market Street, San Francisco, California, from a point between 8th & 9th Streets, Eastward to the cable car turnaround at the Ferry Building,​
Video Restoration Process:​
  • FPS boosted to 60 frames per second
    • Image resolution boosted up to HD
    • Improved video sharpness and brightness
    • Colorized only for the ambiance (not historically accurate)
    • added sound design only for the ambiance
    • restoration: (stabilisation,denoise,cleand,deblur)
    • SKY Visual Effects (not historically accurate)
Please, be aware that colorization colors and SKY Visual Effects are not real and fake, colorization and VFX was made only for the ambiance and do not represent real historical data.​
Thanks to Prelinger Archives share the amazing B&W Video Source​

A more "recent" one... at least they had painted lines on the roads by this time. LOL!

Los Angeles early 50's,60's in color, Freeways [60fps,Remastered] w/sound design added (4 min 20 sec):​

Published on Sep 7, 2022 by NASS​
I colorized, restored and created a sound design for this video of the Los Angeles freeways from the early 1950's to the mid to early 1960's, you can clearly see what is going on during the day, the first part is from the 1950's the latest model cars seen here are 1954 Buicks and 1954 Cadillacs, After 2:30 the second part is the early 1960's, lots of cars with Mercury Comets and Plymouth Valiant's. Otherwise, some Packard's, Caddy's Fords, Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and Buick's.​
Video Restoration Process:​
  • FPS boosted to 60 frames per second
    • Image resolution boosted up to HD
    • Improved video sharpness and brightness
    • Colorized only for the ambiance (not historically accurate)
    • sound design added only for the ambiance
    • restoration: (stabilisation,denoise,cleand,deblur)
Please, be aware that colorization colors are not real and fake, colorization was made only for the ambiance and do not represent real historical data.​
B&W Video Source from: Internet Archive​
Rights to the black and white 35mm Video Source are held by Internet Archive. under the Creative Commons Attribution License.​

Wonderful California 40's in color [60fps,Remastered] w/sound design added (8 min 02 sec):​

Published on Sep 30, 2022 by NASS​
I colorized, restored and created a sound design for this video of California 1940s you can clearly see what is going on during the day, The first part is a tour of Newport Beach, a beautiful drive through Los Angeles. On the 101 freeway, we pass through a tunnel, and we see a HUGE chimney. It connects to the next building we see, the Friedman bag factory. Then we go further down into Los Angeles, a few scenes of cars crossing a California intersection, a classic arrow leads you to cities in all directions. Last part We pass through OILWELLS (from the back), then we pass on the side.​

some additional information from YouTube viewer comments:

GiggleFishy -- 1 day ago (edited)​
Yet another great video, NASS! And even though you gave some info in the comments, I was able to find some more specific locations for part of it. The footage beginning at 2:49 is located in Newport Beach and the camera is on the southeast corner of Bayside Drive and Marine Avenue. The film begins looking south on Marine Avenue. You can see the bridge crossing the Balboa Bay - North Channel to Balboa Island. Some of the facades of houses to the right of the bridge can still be seen little changed today on Street View - the fourth house on the right, above the white car, still has the same roofline, with a tiny triangular gable right at the top. The house to its right is basically unchanged, and you can see Onyx Avenue to its right with the same vintage streetlamp there today. The camera then swings west to north, crossing Bayside Drive at 3:05 and shows the bluffs that were still undeveloped on Historic Aerials in 1963. The cars then ascend to the north side of Bayside - once it crosses Bayside, Marine Avenue becomes Jamboree Road starting at 3:16 where you can still see the bluffs on today's Street View. Jamboree Road intersects with Pacific Coast Highway just 1/4 of a mile north of Bayside and from there you travel to L. A., Huntington Beach and Long Beach. The directional sign was what clued me in - it shows that Los Angeles, Huntington Beach and Long Beach are straight ahead from Bayside, so therefore the cross-street shown at 3:05 can't be Pacific Coast Highway. Also, the sign shows Corona Del Mar going what would be east, in a different direction than the others, and is one mile away, so this is the correct location. Coordinates are: 33.610324, -117.889829 if you want to check it out.​
Brad the Pitts -- 1 day ago (edited)​
0:41 The first part is the Babloa Peninsula in Newport Beach. The side street gives way to Balboa Boulevard, then there are very short streets that dead-end to the beach. 100% positive at 2:27 that is Los Angeles City Hall and the Spring Street Courthouse. 100% positive 2:52 is the south end of the 55 Freeway and Pacific Coast Highway - the current south-bound hilled off-ramp that takes you onto PCH. There are not a lot of hills in that area, and the small bridge shown goes over a modern-day canal. You can also see the sign pointing to Corona Del Mar which is to the left of view and would be PCH south-bound . 3:52 The last section might be Long Beach. There were a lot of oil rigs in the area, it is clearly along the coast but the key is you can see a tall hill in the background which is likely modern-day Signal Hill.​
egmjag -- 1 day ago​
Oh my! You never fail to impress. Right after the Balboa/Newport Beach portion of the film, we are immediately shown a part of what is today the 10 freeway a few miles before it merges into the 101. But I don't think the 10 was a freeway at that time yet. I don't even think the 5 freeway was built yet. That first portion of the 10 freeway or highway shown in the video is where historic Boyle Heights is located, which was considered the Ellis Island of the west coast. Unlike today, many immigrants from all over the world would go there and find housing upon reaching CA up until the 50s. Ramona Parkway is where Ramona Gardens would later be established. Some of those homes and building are still there today. I recognize that underpass because I've gone through there 1000s of times. It seems that the 10 and the 101 were just major highways, not freeways because you can see people walking along some of those areas and even in an island in between two major highways. A person is just sitting in front of a lamp post watching traffic on the 10. I don't think the Highway Patrol would have allowed anyone to walk in or around the freeways even back then. I don't recognize the Huntington Beach area even though I've been there many times. I think this is because all those homes and buildings have been demolished. They're very close to the beach to be in Huntington Beach today. But perhaps those places are in what today is Bolsa Chica, Sunset Beach or Seal Beach.​
Dennis Wilson -- 1 day ago​
Those derricks are just north of Golden West (or at least they used to be) on PCH. I used to surf there eons ago. They still had a number of them up and going then. The stench of petroleum and gas fumes was awful. Lot of people who lived near those things ended up with various cancers. At the high tide watermark there was globules of oil and sludge that came up through the sand. Had to carry turpentine in the trunk of the car to get it off your feet.​
GEORGE1960 MUSIC FOR ALL 4 SEASONS -- 1 day ago (edited)​
The film clip 2:28 I saw in a movie yesterday titled The Reckless Moment 1949 and the same license plate #85 W 416. The clip appears at 1:45 into movie when the actress who plays the mother is leaving Balboa to Los Angeles. Check it out its a good movie.​
jrderelict -- 12 hours ago​
I'm pretty sure the last part of the video is along Speedway in the Marina Peninsula section of Venice. The house we see on the left at c. 4:01 and 5:43, with the arched doorway and arches over the windows, looks like the one that still sat on the southeast corner of Speedway and Northstar when the last Google Street View was taken in November 2020.​

Back
Top Bottom