Fun You Tube Firearm Buying Exercise

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rusty Shackelford

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score

In short, $2000 budget...outfit a newbie with the essentials to start a firearm and shooting hobby. Ammo, tax and shipping dont apply in this scenario.

RUGER 10/22 $300
2 standard 10/22 mags $28
1 extended 10/22 mag $22
Mossberg 500 $335
PSAK-47 (gen 3) in 7.62x39 $30
3 30-rd mags for AK $700
Glock G48 $380
GSSF membership $30
Fobus paddle holster $23
Walker electronic ear pro $42
Shooting glasses $10
Range Bag $30
Buck 110 foling knife $65

Covers everything to get started in nearly every type of shooting...concealed carry, hunting, plink, sport shooting, home defense.

Admittedly I am short on maintenance and cleaning.

What say you?

My initial reaction was to wonder where he was getting a PSAK-47 for $30. But then I saw that the magazines cost $700, so I think that those costs are just switched around.

Yea my bad. Typo...flip the mag and rifle prices.

And for the record this was my list. The video was heavy on accessories abd light on actual firearms

I would tend to generally agree with your list. There are carry guns that I like better, though. My list would be slightly different, as I am looking at SHTF scenarios, and I live in the country, so guns have extra uses as useful tools.

1. Carry gun: The Glock 48 is a strong choice, especially for the price. A couple hundred more gets a Sig P365...slightly smaller. Dealer's choice on the carry gun that suits you - get what you're comfortable with. A couple extra magazines and a comfortable holster to go with the gun are a must.
2. Shotgun. Hard to argue with the venerable Mossberg 500, but the Remington 870 is a strong option here, as is Winchester SXP. This is for home defense and can put food on the table if you have access to small game and gamebirds.
3. A good .22 rifle. The Ruger 10/22 has no real competition here. A few extra magazines, as outlined in the OP, are a must. Plinking and varmint control are the primary uses here, but can put small game on the table and don't easily dismiss it for home defense purposes.
4. Hunting rifle. I like a .243; good for coyote control and is solid for deer hunting. A .270 is another good choice. Fit the gun to your hunting preferences, and the game you have access to.
5. Now you can worry about an AR/AK type assault rifle. Excellent for home defense, but there are better hunting options. For a SHTF scenario, I would want the first four on the list before I worry about this. And I realize this makes me a bit of an outlier, but whatever.

After that, just get what you like. Like the shotgun and do a lot of bird hunting? Get a semi-auto shotgun, or a nice over/under. Add another hunting rifle depending on your hunting needs. Add a .22lr handgun for fun/sport...I would suggest a nice revolver in .22lr. Add a small revolver as an extra carry gun to your collection. Just my few cents on the matter.

I get you thoughts, however the goal of the exercise was to get a brand new shooter outfitted in a practical manner for <$2000.

That eliminates the option of buying a hunting rifle and a AK/AR. It doesnt allow you thevability to buy a additional 22lr revolver. Chosing a semi auto shotgun chews up the budget fast.

I chose the AK to fill the hunting and assault weapon category. 7.62x39 is a viable and legal deer hunting round in my state. 223 and 5.56 are not legal to use on deer in my state or many others. Couple that with not spending $$ on optics...AK lends itself to open sights where many ARs dont even have irons these days.

I get you thoughts, however the goal of the exercise was to get a brand new shooter outfitted in a practical manner for <$2000.

That eliminates the option of buying a hunting rifle and a AK/AR. It doesnt allow you thevability to buy a additional 22lr revolver. Chosing a semi auto shotgun chews up the budget fast.

I chose the AK to fill the hunting and assault weapon category. 7.62x39 is a viable and legal deer hunting round in my state. 223 and 5.56 are not legal to use on deer in my state or many others. Couple that with not spending $$ on optics...AK lends itself to open sights where many ARs dont even have irons these days.
I get it and fully agree. I did state that I was coming from a slightly different perspective than the original exercise. The list will vary slightly based on the end goal...what are you outfitting the new shooter to do?

But there are some basics that cover many things...a carry gun, a shotgun, and a basic .22 are a good foundation for any scenarios.

Henry 22lr lever action 350

Remington 870 20ga youth 350

Ar10 800

Ruger lcr revolver 500

Without doing a lot of research on pricing (going from memory) this is the general direction i would go as the ar would hunt also....also like that 3 of the 4 guns are manually operated and safer for a new shooter and dont require magazines

For disclosure I didn't watch the video just sorta followed rustys lead....this is pretty much the way I started my kids other than the ar10

Last edited:
I have a serious question that may sound a tad offbeat...

Given that a lot of modern military-style rifles have laser or dot sights, wouldn't an EMP render those battery-powered sights useless? Is this a big hole in the personal weapons in use today?

I have a serious question that may sound a tad offbeat...

Given that a lot of modern military-style rifles have laser or dot sights, wouldn't an EMP render those battery-powered sights useless? Is this a big hole in the personal weapons in use today?
+1 for the Kalashnikov

Back
Top Bottom