Gold or silver or mix?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
Right now if you had an extra grand or two laying around would you rather put it all in silver, gold or a mix, and if you mixed it, what percentage would you do? I just made a couple good size orders of silver and am contemplating getting some gold, like around 2/3 - 1 oz in fractional stuff plus a little more silver. The thing is when I spend a grand or two on silver, I get LOTS of nice coins to look at, with the gold not so much. I know that's not the way to look at it so I was just wondering what you other PM junkies would do. So who likes all silver, all gold, who says a mix, and if a mix what ratio dollar wise would you mix it?

well, I only have silver. I've been stacking for about 15 years. I think my wife has some gold. but I never have had enough money at one time to buy gold.

Depends mostly on your financial condition although safety, portability, usability, etc all figure into the picture.

Gold is easier to hide.
Silver is more bang for the buck based on historical gold/silver ratios.
Gold is easier to transport.
Silver is easier to use.
Gold is more likely to be confiscated.

So, your question really does not have a definitive answer that would apply to everyone. Therefore answers from us may or may not apply to you.

I bought a 1/10 toz Gold Eagle once because it was a really good deal at the time (premium worked out to be less than going rate for a 1 toz gold Eagle). When it arrived in the mail, it was the first time I'd seen one in person. It is *so* tiny! Very easy to lose. I haven't bought fractional toz gold since. If I'm buying gold, I'm buying 1 toz bars/coins. YMMV.

More direct to the OP question - it really depends upon what you already own and what you think your bigger needs are. As has already been mentioned, there are various considerations.

I bought a 1/10 toz Gold Eagle once because it was a really good deal at the time (premium worked out to be less than going rate for a 1 toz gold Eagle). When it arrived in the mail, it was the first time I'd seen one in person. It is *so* tiny! Very easy to lose. I haven't bought fractional toz gold since. If I'm buying gold, I'm buying 1 toz bars/coins. YMMV.

More direct to the OP question - it really depends upon what you already own and what you think your bigger needs are. As has already been mentioned, there are various considerations.

I have a 1/10 oz SLA round and a few 5 gram bars as well as several 1/4 oz silver coins, so I understand how tiny the fractional gold coins would be, that's one of the things I don't like is it doesn't seem like I'm getting much for the $$$. I guess I just always see getting gold as putting a lot of eggs into one basket, I suppose I could say with silver I'm still putting the eggs in one basket it's just a larger basket. I just have a feeling if I pull the trigger on some gold instead of silver, it will tank and silver will be fine or go up, and if I don't get the gold, it will take off and I'll be kicking myself. The wife and I had talked about getting some gold when we were getting a bunch of silver in '99 & '00 mostly for our kids. We decided against it as we could get so much more silver coins for our $$. Now not to say that silver hasn't done well in that time but we really kick ourselves for not getting some gold as well.

I have a 1/10 oz SLA round and a few 5 gram bars as well as several 1/4 oz silver coins, so I understand how tiny the fractional gold coins would be, that's one of the things I don't like is it doesn't seem like I'm getting much for the $$$. I guess I just always see getting gold as putting a lot of eggs into one basket, I suppose I could say with silver I'm still putting the eggs in one basket it's just a larger basket. I just have a feeling if I pull the trigger on some gold instead of silver, it will tank and silver will be fine or go up, and if I don't get the gold, it will take off and I'll be kicking myself. The wife and I had talked about getting some gold when we were getting a bunch of silver in '99 & '00 mostly for our kids. We decided against it as we could get so much more silver coins for our $$. Now not to say that silver hasn't done well in that time but we really kick ourselves for not getting some gold as well.

I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't buy some St. Gaudens double eagles in 1995 when they were a fraction of the cost that they are now, (in light of the fact I can't afford them now) and she pointed out we couldn't have afforded them then, either.

I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't buy some St. Gaudens double eagles in 1995 when they were a fraction of the cost that they are now, (in light of the fact I can't afford them now) and she pointed out we couldn't have afforded them then, either.

I could have a afforded a few 1oz coins plus a couple smaller coins back then without causing me too much distress, now not so much.

People ask me a question similar to that regularly - just looking for me to tell them which one to buy. I know that isn't exactly the context of this situation, but my answer to you and them are both the same.

Decide what you think is going to happen financially, both big and small, then develop a plan that you think will protect you and your family. From there, decide how both gold and silver fit into that plan specifically, then buy accordingly.

For me, metal of all different sizes will play a role, so buy I what I think I need. To get to your question, right now I think is a good time to buy bulk silver, like kilos and above, so that's where I'd go with my grand or two. If you think you are good on the metals, follow that up with some long term storage food or ammo! I think you can never go wrong with any of that!

Last edited:
Why limit it to only gold or silver? A few here work with other PM's as well. Diversity is cool, even within the sub-class of PM's.

What mmerlinn said. Really depends on the situation.

That said, I own 2x my daughter's weight in silver. She's a little one, takes after my wife, but still heavy after carrying her for a few minutes. As I get old(er) and weaker, the weight of the silver is becoming unmanageable. Think I'll stick to gold (sovereigns, fractional and Maples) from now on.

balance your portfolio

Right now if you had an extra grand or two laying around would you rather put it all in silver, gold or a mix, and if you mixed it, what percentage would you do? I just made a couple good size orders of silver and am contemplating getting some gold, like around 2/3 - 1 oz in fractional stuff plus a little more silver. The thing is when I spend a grand or two on silver, I get LOTS of nice coins to look at, with the gold not so much. I know that's not the way to look at it so I was just wondering what you other PM junkies would do. So who likes all silver, all gold, who says a mix, and if a mix what ratio dollar wise would you mix it?

its always good to invest or supply both Silver and Gold. There is a Refinery in Dallas Texas that has the cheapest Premiums on Gold and Silber Bullion. Both good for investors and flipping stock for customer. I was told they have 1 oz. Gold Suisse Bars for only $16 over spot. That is unheard of.

Gold or silver or mix... Mix I would say. I just started in this investment idea and presently just taking it easy and trying to get some solid information as to what I should do. I have some mad money that I would like to put into gold and silver .. 10,000.00 Canadian. Where should I start? The thought of investing is somewhat simple, but the source to obtain reasonable silver and gold purchases is not. Seems to me that now is the time to jump in. I've been over the internet many times and have listened to many speakers giving their opinion and the direction of silver and gold. I found James Rickards to be the most informative one of all and I do have his book "The Death Of Money". Interesting to say the least. Anyone with any suggestions?

Hey y'all... I still have my basket of money waiting for someone to give me some good advice. I don't think that anyone has to worry about giving their trade secrets, since it has been my experience that most people don't take advice easily. Many times it has to be beaten into them, and then only some will learn. So, give me some help here. As I have so often said... You have to ask for advice, and when you do, you just might get answers that are absolutely spot on. Quite a few know exactly what they are doing, and may offer advice. You don't get this, should you not ask. And there is no shame in asking, since we all need help, one time or another.

Golsil

One thing I forgot to mention re PLATINUM in your other thread (about April buying PMs) is that platinum "is for optimists"! Pt is used in small amounts for diamond mounts in rings, some other jewelry and, especially for catalysts in refineries, chemical plants and catalytic converters in cars.

If the world economy does well (there are doubts about that, LOL), the Pt will likely do well.

Unless they find some cheap catalysts..............

Thanks DoChenRollingBearing. Yes, for now I'm sticking to just Gold and Silver. I'm not greedy, I just like a lot. LOL. Those two will definitely go bonkers sometime down the road and with all the information I'm gleaning from those who are so kind to offer it, I'll be happy and way ahead in my investments. And for those getting a good pay day in your investments certainly justifies your effort and your sense of direction. Indeed, determination and discipline will assist you greatly.

Since Oct.20, 14, I've had the privilege of reading some informative great material from some of the authors of my reading material on investments.

Seems that many of them are of the opinion that silver will gain a greater value in itself, hence will out perform gold, beginning maybe the last of 2015. Silver is now bouncing around US15.00 per oz. and I figure that is a somewhat reasonable spot value. Now is a good time to purchase. Also I have been looking at the stock market and the same attitude is prevalent. Silver is the way to go.

Anyone have any idea which company has the best performance, and based on current information, will provide a good yield in the coming years. Also I'm seeking a good Canadian Broker. Anyone with any ideas on this? And which type of Broker should I choose. Maybe one that will give me more of a free hand in what I wish to do, without all the high performance bells and whistles which adds to the cost to use.

Last edited:
PMBug... I'm into anything that will give me some bang for my buck. Trying to cover all bases that throw out a good yield. Still asking which, in anyone's opinion, is a reputable company with a not too expensive stock that will produce results and also seeking a good Canadian Broker. Surely someone has this information. I will get that info in due time through my subscriptions. But outside help is always welcomed. And PMBug, you have been no help. LOL..............

I'm working with 95% G and 5% S. I don't think gold has nearly the upside for wealth preservation that silver has. Just like junk silver, I have mostly junk gold. I'll go to yard sales and pay a few bucks for a coffee can full of junk jewelry. Invariably there is something that looks ratty and cheap that turns out to be gold. A lot of it my daughter cleans up and trades with the friends, occasionally selling a piece here and there. The upside here is that I get it for near to nothing and the kid gets to trade the rest for clothes that I don't have to pay for. It's a win-win.

I know a lot of guys don't like junk gold, but I think it's the We Buy Gold shit that puts them off. I take my junk gold, sterling silver, silver sets and the like to a refiner in Orlando. The process is simple and painless. They keep a vig of course, but hey, what's a boy going to do? In the end, I have various stamped little bars that have their weight and genesis stamped in to them.

ancona..... Referring to junk silver and junk gold. We do not have too many sources here in this neck of the woods. I know of only two flea markets that operate on each Sunday of each month. Those who have this commodity want too much for it. You buy yours sometimes in portions of a coffee can. I'm lucky to get one nickel or dime for a few bucks. No fair. Those flea operators think that everything they sell is of a high value. I guess being ignorant sometimes pays off.

You are indeed lucky to have access to a good source. The only stuff I have a chance to buy is absolute crap and over priced.

Gold, Silver or mix. Neither of those. Take a holiday, get yourself a case of beer, go and enjoy yourself. Just carry on with your regular curricular activities and wait for THAT right moment. In the meantime, don't forget to hoard every cent you can, so that your investment is the best you can possibly make. Determination, discipline and patience, those are the rule of the day. Clear your mind and be prepared for your big day. You just may remember this as your greatest endeavor. Keep focused.

Last edited:
Well... having gone over my posts, I certainly believe that I am consistently consistent. Having a one track mind helps me focus on my gold and silver investment. Stocks? A little, but precious metals are my game and fortune.

It is my observation that the value of silver is on the way up and will even keep going up and up, as demands increase for industrial purposes and due to that, silver investment will subsequently skyrocket as well.

If i have an extra grand i would definitely invest in gold, gold is always promising and provides a guarantee of better returns.

If i have an extra grand i would definitely invest in gold, gold is always promising and provides a guarantee of better returns.

I knew some girls like that back in high school, always promising, and me thinking I had a guarantee of better returns on my investment in dinner and a movie. Just like the markets, bitches LIE!

Back
Top Bottom