Gold Procrastinators

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unobtanium

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
An enjoyable read, but not if you are a PM Procrastinator (none here!)

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT post Unobtanium!

I have advised people over at Zero Hedge that it is OK to BTFSpike! When I look at the great majority of times that I bought gold, it was typically at or near a Local Record High! Sometimes I would have a tinge of "Buyer's Remorse", I remember when I lived N VA I bought a Gold Eagle for $500 (long time ago). $500!!! Seemed like a LOT.

Sometimes I get lucky though. I was out of town visiting family in another state when "they" brought the price down some $150 / oz over a week or so (December I think). While driving back home, I hit a branch of my TBTF, took out some $ks and bought, so yes, I have once in a while been able to BTFD.

But, for me it comes down to when I get money. As income arrives, part goes into physical gold and sometimes a little silver (to "spend" in a SHTF: first fiat, then silver, with luck I will NEVER have to sell my gold).

Yes, I have been buying gold in small quantities for decades. But, it was not until the Housing Bubble was starting to burst that I sped up purchases of gold, so my cost basis is not as good as a "decades long" gold buyer would imply. I would guess my average cost basis to be $1200 or so, maybe a little higher. And that cost basis will go up in the future...

Dollar cost averaging helps minimize the decision paralysis whether PMs are rising or falling.

DCRB, even with your cost basis, you are still in much better shape than 99% of the population that have all their eggs in FRNs and other paper.

My biggest "mistake" as a newbie some time ago with my first PM purchase was to back up the truck and buy a bunch at once (sweaty palms and everything) rather than dollar cost averaging.

Even with backing up the truck was a minor mistake, it wasn't too bad and I can still sleep well at night.

Since then I have DCA'd.

"My biggest "mistake" as a newbie some time ago with my first PM purchase was to back up the truck and buy a bunch at once (sweaty palms and everything) rather than dollar cost averaging.

Even with backing up the truck was a minor mistake, it wasn't too bad and I can still sleep well at night.

Since then I have DCA'd. "

TRUE THAT!!!

I made a similar mistake, but I did it at 12.60. When I bought my first "big load" I was as nervous as a whore in church, but in the long run, it worked out OK. My wife didn't speak to me until silver broke 19, and then, she wanted me to "sell it all".

Today, we laugh about it, bit at the time it was a major source of consternation in my house. At this point Mama Bear is chilled out about silver, but we have had our "conversations" about it, that's for double damn sure!

Wow, ancona, sounds like a similar replay in my house! My wife was nervous about the purchase back then, but deep down knew it was the right thing to do. I had a lot of work to do in calming her nerves during the wild swings that silver typically takes.

@ ancona & unobtanium

Similar story re my wife. She tolerated my buying, but was not happy about it. She has since kept quiet since the prices have gone up so nicely, but she does not want me to buy more.

Well I will buy bits and pieces more as income comes in.

"nervous as a whore in church", like that...

Add another +1 to ancona's tale for me as well. Only in my case, my wife trusted my instincts with her inheritance and has never complained (even after the May slaughter).

I started off with an interest in the ideas of individual liberty, natural rights, and the free markets that must accompany them. With these interests I found my way to the Austrian school and over the last few years have built a decent understanding of things for a layman.

Watching events since 2008 unfold and learning the Austrian perspective at the same time, I began to draw the inevitable conclusions about where we are headed. In the back of my mind I knew paper money was junk and that metal was real, have known that since childhood which is a different story.

Last year I eventually accepted, mentally and emotionally, the fact that this is not an academic exercise from an economics textbook. It dawned on me that understanding the business cycle and the Fed fiat system wasn't enough, I had to do something or risk starving. I didn't want to end up dumping wheelbarrows full of cash into the fireplace to keep warm...

So, I started small and it felt weird, but good, and since then confidence in what we do here has solidified. I now feel like I get it and am doing something about it in order to protect myself in the future. Every ounce is an empowering step towards freedom and independence.

The steamroller may run us all over anyways, but at least we will be running and wearing hardhats. It is sad that so many will be standing still with their arms stretched out towards the steamroller, like a child wanting to be lifted up by a parent, when it flatens them.

Last edited:
Yup I know exactly what the OP is on about and its a real emotional roller coaster when you have your life savings cashed up and sitting in a bank, at risk of becoming worthless and not even any worthwhile interest being earned and waiting for the drop in Gold

how many false bottoms can there be ?
and i managed to 'scale in' by buying just before most of the recent take downs )-:

in the end I just thought f**k it and did the final 50% in September, thinking we were into the 'moonshot' phase ....
still down on that purchase but still well up overall.

Now Im going to have to go through it all again in order to sell any ......

That first part if the article sounded like me a few years ago when I first introduced to PM's but I finally just said screw it, and pulled the trigger with a fistful of cash at the LCS.

I always recomend keeping a reserve of cash specifically for a dip so you are prepared to buy.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…