Good book recommendations?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Finished @Unca Walt 's The Cadet on Monday. Good, enjoyable read. Has my recommendation.
Trivia: Every character was a real person. All events occurred as depicted; I only dramatized.

PS: The brutal taskmaster who was my editor (also the Deputy Director of Counterintelligence and Security Countermeasures at the Pentagon) required accuracy -- beginning on Page 1 -- to the point of what was sold in Oldenburg taprooms in 1615 and how much it cost and how was it served.

I had ale at first. It got changed to cider. Three Munchen coppers. Wooden krugs for outdoors.

That was the first page.

LATE EDIT ADD: Oh, hell... I fergot to ask for a data point: Did you get chokey anywhere in the book? My current reader response is at 87% "yup".

One guy wrote: "You son of a bitch. You got me on the LAST PAGE!" :p:cool:

Now you gotta try "The Bat and Balloon War".

Last edited:
Did you get chokey anywhere in the book?

If I came close to that it was on the last page.

That said, I belong to a small group who swap books they've read. The Cadet went to an elderly neighbor who doesn't get around too well. He called me yesterday and said it was one of the best books he'd read.

Where do I get the Bat and Balloon War? Thrift Books doesn't have it, Barnes & Nobel and Amazon have it electronically. I can do that but prefer hard copies when I can get them.

Edit to add: I came across this while trying to find it as a pdf:

Last edited:
Williwaw by Gore Vidal pdf
I saw a photo taken by Gore Vidal from inside and behind -- two unbelievably beautiful young women (Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve). They were side by side, leaning out a window. Not wearing anything. Perfect hineys. (*sigh*)

I have not yet read this one, so I don't know yet if it is good, but it looks interesting and I have requested my local library to obtain a copy for me:

Edit: Amazon has decided to stop rendering embedded images of their products. Dummies. The book is Broken Money by Lyn Alden.

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
I have not yet read this one, so I don't know yet if it is good, but it looks interesting and I have requested my local library to obtain a copy for me:

Edit: Amazon has decided to stop rendering embedded images of their products. Dummies. The book is Broken Money by Lyn Alden.

In this vid (podcast) the author talks about her book "Broken Money." Start around the 4-minute mark. Nothing to see, you can listen in one tab, play around the forum in a different tab.

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
I will erase -- just testing:

Odd... I was at first unable to copy the Amazon pic of "The Bat and Balloon War" and paste it here. Then somehow I was able to. I went to some random book on the bottom of my BABW page, and was unable to copy the pic.

Gonna work on this a minnit. (Later) Worked on it for a long time on a bunch of books. I cannot repeat my first success.

Attachments

• 1704706488872.png
    1704706488872.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 1
Odd... I was at first unable to copy the Amazon pic ...

This forum has a media mod installed that auto-embeds amazon books/products with an image and link. At least, it did until Amazon decided they didn't want to continue supporting image embeds (as of a few days ago). The problem is on Amazon's end.

Strange. Seems counterproductive to Amazon's desire for bidness.

And I wonder how the hell I was able to copy the cover pic of B&BW just that one time... and not be able to repeat the action?

Holy shit, @pmbug -- Just for grins and giggles, I entered "Amazon.com/Faerie Diamonds" and got this:
1704798363537.png
Thass my darling wifelet, BTW.

OK... I tried to do the same with "Flashman and the Dragon" by my sainted George MacDonald Fraser:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51ByI-qeO7L._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Well, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is weird. I get a different result. Still get the pic, but it is not "live" -- ya gotta click on the result to get the cover picture.

We gots a mystery here, @pmbug

Last edited:
Try the Kelly Turnbull novels by Kurt Schlichter. He keeps begging the readers to not make them real. I've read them about 3 times so far. I also like The Eden Chronicles by S.M. Anderson. Yes, I like dystopian fiction. I consider it instructional.

Science fiction pioneer and inspiration to many a cypherpunk, Vernor Steffen Vinge, passed away Wednesday at the age of 79 in La Jolla, California. The five-time winner of the prestigious Hugo Award is perhaps best known for popularizing the term “singularity.”
Vinge (pronounced VIN-jee) received Hugo Awards for his novels A Fire Upon the Deep (1993), A Deepness in the Sky (2000), and Rainbows End (2007) as well as novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004). Perhaps his most well-known work, the 30,000-word novella “True Names” (1981) was an early exploration of cyberspace, transhumanism and hacker culture.

I read A Fire Upon the Deep many years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I didn't realize he had written other books that also won Hugo awards.

Back
Top Bottom