How quickly would it get ugly if SHTF?

rblong2us

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
my suggestion with guns, would be to create a kind of cross referencing system, where other gun holders have to ensure the mental wellbeing of their two referees.

So if things got a bit messy at home they would be pursuaded to give their guns to their referees, until they were 'of sound mind' again.

If a licenceholder was to do something stupid, their referees would loose their gun licence. A powerful form of self regulation and everyone still entitled.

This could address some of the lone nutjobs and would have all gunholders taking responsibility for more than just themselves.

I know the right to bear arms is very deeply ingrained in some countries and I am aware that this right is fiercly protected.

I just offer a bit of self policing ........

DCFusor

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
RB, in many places, some of what you suggest is already there. When I first wanted to start getting into guns, I found a local shop, nice people hanging out in it, decent prices. "For some reason" they couldn't sell me any guns - the background check line was down, it was promised to someone else, some reason.

They needed to get to know me first, then suddenly, I had access to anything I wanted, and most often at a fairly steep discount. The owner and his pals just needed to be sure I wasn't "hinky" in some way (I don't look the part of a responsible gun guy, to be sure). Once they decided I was alright, it was smooth sailing all the way.

Think about it this way - I know I do - I'd NEVER want to sell someone a gun if I had the slightest idea they would misuse it - I'd feel responsible myself for "enabling" them to do bad things. I have in fact refused to sell guns several times to people I didn't think should have them. "For some reason", often not the stated one.

That doesn't cover all the bases, but it's a start. You can't control what happens to someone after, sometimes long after, or who they might sell to. Or a gun you sell to someone, legit, might not be protected well enough and be stolen and misused. In fact, a large fraction of crime guns are in that category - stolen.

This junk about the "gun show loophole" in which any gun owner can sell to any other - at a gun show, or heck, the parking lot of the grocery store or across the fence in your yard - is BS, pure and simple, if you look at the guns used in crimes and rampage shooting - that's not where they came from.

Heck, in the current case (though the details, some important, have changed 3 times since the initial report as someone is working on the right "spin") was a case of a parent buying legit guns to take to the range with her kid in a kind of "bonding" experience, much like some families do other things - camping for instance - or Dad will get into go-kart racing with his son for the same sort of reason.

There are zero laws imaginable that would have stopped that, even if actually enforced, which most gun laws are not, as letting tragedies happen is on the agenda of those who wish to disarm the good people to cement their power more thoroughly.

In the US, depending on who is asked, there are about 300 million guns - about one per person. Threaten to take them away, and less than half will be confiscated. The rest will be buried in PVC pipe to sell later on the black market. You'd think our experiences with prohibitions of other kinds, that gave us the Mafia and drug cartels would tell reasonable people something - that trying to prohibit anything a big fraction of people want is counterproductive, but here we are - looking at doing the same thing again but expecting different results - the definition of insanity.

I'm sure it would get ugly in cities on JIT supplies in just a couple days. But where I live, everyone is "ready" anyway - natural course of events means you have last year's produce canned, all the tools to make more food, helpful, ready neighbours who think alike. Most could handle a few months without the outside world entirely, it's just the norm for truly rural living. We mostly wouldn't even know without the news or going to the store for those few things people don't really stock up on - booze, tobacco, etc.