India to monetize gold?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
With India's gold imports having pressured its current account deficit (CAD), two large Indian public sector banks have suggested that there is a greater need to make use of gold available in the country, and that the precious metal should be made more liquid. A government official has seconded the move, laying bare some aspects of the government's intention to monetise the gold stores held in most households across the country.
Government official, the Union financial services secretary GS Sandhu, said the government is actively looking into the issue of monetising gold, following representations from the banking sector.

Sandhu stressed the need to monetise gold held by the public to help reduce imports of the yellow metal, which are a drain on the nation’s foreign exchange resources, and leads to a wider CAD.

"So much gold is lying idle (within the country). In some ways if we can monetise this, maybe our imports will come down drastically. Something in that direction will have to be thought of," said Sandhu, at an event organised by the Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council in Mumbai on Saturday.

"Gold is after all a store of value. Is it possible for the regulator to treat a bit of our gold deposits as CRR or SLR, instead of cash or government securities?", asked SBI Chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya. She was speaking at the same event.

She added that given the current situation, there was a "greater need to make use of gold available in the country, and make it more liquid."

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/content/en/mineweb-gold-news?oid=246041&sn=Detail

It seems to me the proposed steps are small, but would open the door to real monetization.

If one country assigns gold as a monetary unit of exchange within their borders, all will soon follow. That's when it starts to get real for metals.

Well, I don't think that's what is being discussed in the OP. It sounds more like the banks want to elevate gold as an asset class to be on par with cash - similar to the Basel III proposal that hasn't yet materialized. But yeah, I think it would be a first step that opens the door.

It's weird how many negative news I read about India - with regards to gold.
It's one of the most "anti-gold" countries I know... banning imports, taxing it heavily...

its only the gov thats anti gold and thats because the people prefer gold to rupees ....

the indian gov gets leaned on by the other big fiat players to protect the interlinked paper based currencies.

I recall one of the political parties suggesting they would remove the recent taxes as they moved towards an election .........

oops sorry, this thread is about a vote in Switzerland.
Do Basel 111 proposals include India ? (-:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom