Kennedy's Executive Order 11110 (1963) demonetizing silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Just reprenting the wikipedia entry. Another example of broken promises to redeem a certificate on paper. The conspiracy theory by Jim Mars is fascinating but I don't buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11110

It was repealed:

June 4, 1963.

Revocation[edit]

E.O. 11110 was not reversed by President Lyndon B. Johnson and the section added to E.O. 10289 remained on the books until President Ronald Reagan issued Executive Order 12608 on September 9, 1987 as part of a general clean-up of executive orders.[14] E.O. 12608 specifically revoked the section added by E.O. 11110 which effectively revoked the entire Order. By this time, however, the remaining legislative authority behind E.O. 11110 had been repealed by Congress when Pub.L. 97–258 was passed in 1982.

In March 1964, Secretary of the Treasury C. Douglas Dillon halted redemption of silver certificates for silver dollars. In the 1970s, large numbers of the remaining silver dollars in the mint vaults were sold to the collecting public for collector value. All redemption in silver ceased on June 24, 1968.

"A 2010 article in Research magazine discussing various controversies surrounding the Federal Reserve stated that "the wildest accusation against the Fed is that it was involved in Kennedy's assassination."[16] Critics of the theory note that Kennedy called for and signed legislation phasing out Silver Certificates in favor of Federal Reserve Notes, thereby enhancing the power of the Federal Reserve; and that Executive Order 11110 was a technicality that only delegated existing presidential powers to the Secretary of the Treasury for administrative convenience during a period of transition.[16][17]" Wikipedia

Last edited:
I just started working for a local state park campground last week as my retired job. Yesterday a guy paid for his site all with coinage, including a Franklin Pierce $1 commemorative coin. It was in pretty bad shape and I had never seen one other than pics. The more senior worker got dibs on it along with five consecutive serial numbered $2 bills someone had used to pay their entry fee to the park.

I shall remain silent on any future obscure transactions.

Ray McGovern (former CIA): They Killed JFK, Will We Let Them Kill Peace?​

33m

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…