Kindness Can Have Unexpectedly Positive Consequences

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Kindness Can Have Unexpectedly Positive Consequences​

People who engage in random acts of kindness may not fully recognize the impact of their behavior on others

Scientists who study happiness know that being kind to others can improve well-being. Acts as simple as buying a cup of coffee for someone can boost a person’s mood, for example. Everyday life affords many opportunities for such actions, yet people do not always take advantage of them.

In a set of studies published online in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, Nick Epley, a behavioral scientist at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, and I examined a possible explanation. We found that people who perform random acts of kindness do not always realize how much of an impact they are having on another individual. People consistently and systematically underestimate how others value these acts.

Across multiple experiments involving approximately 1,000 participants, people performed a random act of kindness—that is, an action done with the primary intention of making someone else (who isn’t expecting the gesture) feel good. Those who perform such actions expect nothing in return.

Read the rest here:

Random Acts of Kindness and Guerrilla Goodness.

Always liked that saying, and trying to live it.

It works, on many levels.

The correlary is also true IMO. Folks often don't appreciate the full impact of negative behaviors toward others.

The Golden Rule is simple to understand but easy to forget.

“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.”​

― Stephen Grellet

we are our brothers keepers, we do sculpt reality, on a moment by moment basis

we can perform miracles, oftentimes never seeing the results, but, is that really important other than to feed Pride?

but what galls me is we're now taking the words of scientists to describe / declare that which we possess by nature?

abstract failure to any human who doesn't hold the door for an elderly person or who scolds a handicapped person for not being able enough to do it themselves....

we're our own worst enemy because we listen to fools, then we wait for the scientists to tell us we've been doing it right the entire time...

ymmv...not directed at anyone, just to the world at large...modern science sucks bid gicks

Jason Boudreaux was waiting to check out at his local grocery store when the cashier told him his debit card had insufficient funds. The kindness of a stranger in that moment, he says, changed his outlook on the world.

On Feb. 24, Boudreaux, a Breaux Bridge, Louisiana resident, shared a now-viral post on Facebook with the story of the kind act he experienced while out grabbing groceries from Cade’s Market in St. Martinville.

Acts of Random Kindness

The telephone rang. It was a call from his mother. He answered it and his mother told him, "Mr. Belser died last night. The funeral is Wednesday."

Memories flashed through his mind like an old newsreel as he sat quietly remembering his childhood days.

"Jack, did you hear me?"

"Oh, sorry, Mom. Yes, I heard you. It's been so long since I thought of him. I'm sorry, but I honestly thought he died years ago," Jack said.

"Well, he didn't forget you. Every time I saw him he'd ask how you were doing. He'd reminisce about the many days you spent over 'his side of the fence' as he put it," Mom told him.

"I loved that old house he lived in," Jack said.

"You know, Jack, after your father died, Mr. Belser stepped in to make sure you had a man's influence in your life," she said.

"He's the one who taught me carpentry," he said. "I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for him. He spent a lot of time teaching me things he thought were important. Mom, I'll be there for the funeral," Jack said.

As busy as he was, he kept his word. Jack caught the next flight to his hometown. Mr. Belser's funeral was small and uneventful. He had no children of his own, and most of his relatives had passed away.

The night before he had to return home, Jack and his Mom stopped by to see the old house next door one more time. Standing in the doorway, Jack paused for a moment. It was like crossing over into another dimension, a leap through space and time. The house was exactly as he remembered.

Every step held memories. Every picture, every piece of furniture...Jack stopped suddenly...

"What'swrong, Jack?" his Mom asked.

"The box is gone," he said.

"What box?" Mom asked.

"There was a small gold box that he kept locked on top of his desk. I must have asked him a thousand times what was inside. All he'd ever tell me was 'the thing I value most,'" Jack said.

It was gone. Everything about the house was exactly how Jack remembered it, except for the box. He figured someone from the Belser family had taken it.

"Now I'll never know what was so valuable to him," Jack said.

"I better get some sleep. I have an early flight home, Mom."

It had been about two weeks since Mr. Belser died. Returning home from work one day Jack discovered a note in his mailbox. "Signature required on a package. No one at home. Please stop by the main post office within the next three days," the note read.

Early the next day Jack went to the post office and retrieved the package. The small box was old and looked like it had been mailed a hundred years ago. The handwriting was difficult to read, but the return address caught his attention.

"Mr. Harold Belser" it read.

Jack took the box out to his car and ripped open the package. There inside was the gold box and an envelope.

Jack's hands shook as he read the note inside.

"Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett. It's the thing I valued most in my life." A small key was taped to the letter. His heart racing, as tears filled his eyes, Jack carefully unlocked the box. There inside he found a beautiful gold pocket watch.

Running his fingers slowly over the finely etched casing, he unlatched the cover. Inside he found these words engraved: "Jack, Thanks for your time! -- Harold Belser."

"The thing he valued most was my time!"

Jack held the watch for a few minutes, then called his office and cleared his appointments for the next two days.*

"Why?" Janet, his assistant asked.

"I need some time to spend with the people I love and say I care for," he said. "Oh, by the way, Janet, thanks for your time!"

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Think about this. You may not realize it, but it's 100 percent true.

1. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.
2. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.
3. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
4. You mean the world to someone.
5. If not for you, someone may not be living.
6. You are special and unique.
7. Have trust sooner or later you will get what you wish for or something better.
8. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good can still come from it.
9. When you think the world has turned its back on you, take a hard look: you most likely turned your back on the world and the people who love and care for you.
10. Someone that you don't even know exists loves you.
11. Always remember the compliments you received. Forget about the rude remarks.
12. Always tell someone how you feel about them; you will feel much better when they know and you'll both be happy.
13. If you have a great friend, take the time to let them know that they are great.

To everyone who read this just now....

*"Thanks for your time."*
😊

Seeing stories of kindness may counteract the negative effects of consuming bad news​

“If it bleeds, it leads” has long been a saying used in the media to describe how news stories featuring violence, death and destruction grab readers’ attention — and so dominate the news agenda. And, while many of us are aware of the negative effect that these kinds of story can have on us, it can still be hard to look away. We’re hardwired to sit up and take notice of them.

This “surveillance mode” is thought to be an evolutionary hangover from a time where survival odds were increased when we attended to the threats in our environment.

More:

“You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth.”​

H. L. Mencken

When a rare GMC Syclone was stolen from an owner who had fallen on hard times, it looked likely the performance pickup truck wouldn't be recovered. But an upstanding member of the GMC truck community intercepted the stolen Syclone, forfeiting their own money to make sure the truck got home safe—and to bring the thief to justice.

When a rare GMC Syclone was stolen from an owner who had fallen on hard times, it looked likely the performance pickup truck wouldn't be recovered. But an upstanding member of the GMC truck community intercepted the stolen Syclone, forfeiting their own money to make sure the truck got home safe—and to bring the thief to justice.

That's a good story. As the owner of a Buick Grand National for 14 years, I know just how special those trucks are.

I did an act of kindness yesterday. I had to talk with my idiot brother-in-law on the phone. He's a liberal and is fighting a battle with stupidity - and losing. Instead of telling him to drop dead, I instead told him to get boosted. I thought that it sounded nicer. :giggle:

We need a tune........

VALENTINE
there was a kid in class
who never received a Valentine card
because he was poor
or maybe he had a lisp
or a limp
maybe he was dirty,
and lived in a ramshackle house,
on the poor side of town
they all laughed at him
and as they grew up
he was forgotten
so, they went on with their lives
and he went on with his
yet, once in a while
a few remember him
some feel their shame thinking:
"I wonder where he is now?"
maybe one of them will acquire a new position
and be paid big money at a desirable firm
and when they come into
the company owner's office
he'll be sitting behind a huge mahogany desk
and he'll remember them
so, always be kind.
rjc...2020 from "Roll the Dice"

All credit to:

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
Back
Top Bottom