King World News under DDoS attack (again)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
It probably was not just a 17-year old hacker in his mom's basement who wanted to have some fun :paperbag:
As GATA writes below, this DDoS attack enhances the credibility of the claims which are made on KWN:

Another attack tries to knock King World News off the Internet
Submitted by cpowell on Sat, 2012-04-14 00:05. Section: Daily Dispatches
8:08p ET Friday, April 13, 2012

Dear Friend of GATA and Gold:
The King World News Internet site was attacked this week in ways that seemed aimed particularly at the network's revelatory interview April 5 with its London metals market trader source.
The major Internet hosting company that maintains the King World News site reported to the network: "The servers you are hosted on are what we call 'under guard' due to external attack. Sometimes there are millions of these attacks. Without these 'guards' in place, the servers would effectively become flooded and would be unable to display your website."
Eric King told GATA today: "The attacks started when the London trader interview piece was released April 5. The attacks continued and intensified when our interview with Jim Sinclair's futures market analyst, Dan Norcini, was published on April 11. A very powerful entity did not want this information out there."
King World News experienced a similar "distributed denial of service" attack in March 2010 immediately after it carried an interview with three GATA board members.

According to Wikipedia, a distributed denial-of-service attack "is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DDoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of a person or people to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely."
This week's attack blocked access to the King World News site for some of its readers around the world. After many hours of work by the site's staff, access has been restored.

In a way, these attacks are a tribute to the work done by King World News and the sensitivity of the observations made by the people interviewed there.

GATA's dispatch about the April 5 King World News interview with the London trader is here:
http://www.gata.org/node/11215

GATA's dispatch about the April 11 King World News interview with Norcini is here:
http://www.gata.org/node/11236

GATA's dispatch about the March 2010 attack on King World News is here:
http://www.gata.org/node/8494
http://gata.org/node/11247

It's silly to try and kill the messenger in this day and age. Communication is no longer limited to a single channel.

Too true Bug. If one has the right message, and people want to get it out, it will spread like wildfire.

Is it just me, or is KWN down yet again? I managed to grab a few interviews the other night but most of my visits these days are met with a stubbornly blank browser...

Someone is really fucking hard with those guys. It is my opinion that anyone caught and convicted of hacking or puting a computer virus out there should be hanged by the neck until dead, and left to dangle for five days as an object lesson to others.

Not going to happen. I hack a machine - it's jail. Sony hacks tens of thousands, gets a minor fine and has to give you a CD w/o the hack on it.

I trash a feature you paid for on a PS, I go to jail. Sony does it, and sues the people who put it back for you. Then discovers that despite their ephasis on "security and anti piracy" they don't know how to run a website and lose millions of CC numbers to a very obvious hack by Anon - because they hadn't put in security patches for years for the systems that hold *your* stuff.

That's just one corp - and they're not even making money.

DDoS is a shitty cowardly thing to do.

It's hard to trace that stuff back to a source but it can be done - start by getting an unsuspecting payload carrier to cooperate... KWN should put up some bucks to get the job done.

It's traceable to be sure. It's harder now since you do it with a botnet. But possible. Of course, you have to have a politician or few on retainer to rate that kind of help from the gov. You'd have to take it on yourself.

Asymmetric war is always called cowardly by the bigger party. But really - did anyone truly expect say, AQ to just line up in a straight line in the desert, wearing red, and take on the US military? That's not brave, it'd just be stupid from their pov.

My own site is under continual DDoS attack when I allow registrations - and sometimes when I don't. When I opened them for 2 minutes the other night to add a member, I got 50 spambots in that time - and that's with captchas etc. Seems being high rated in google search has its downsides.

Back
Top Bottom