Legends of The Old West

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Ben Lilly: Bears, Blades & Contradictions​

The cascading notes of Ol’ Lilly’s hunting horn were some of the signature sounds by which he was known, as peculiar to the man as the recognizable songs of his mixed-breed dogs. It could be said that throughout his life, he was a man more relaxed and intimate with wild places and his faithful, panting canines than with any friend or wife.

Benjamin Lilly was one of the greatest hunters and most fascinating characters of the quickly civilizing West. He dressed like a mountain man, preferred sleeping outdoors to a proffered room and bed, and would sometimes walk hundreds of miles in pursuit of a single elusive bear. From childhood hunts in the 1870s until his death in the latter part of the 1930s, Mr. Lilly was what we’d now call an “anachronism:” a man still inhabiting an earlier time– and in many ways, the last of his kind. Ben was an unrepentant atavist, a proud throwback, and a devout adherent to archaic ways of being that he believed to be more meaningful and heroic. Or at least more tolerable… and more vitally experienced!

Read more about Ben here:

Link to Legends of America home page:

The Infamous Mountain Man | “Liver-Eating” Johnson​

Forgotten Lives
Sep 8, 2020

Welcome to Forgotten Lives! In today's episode, we are looking into the life of John Johnston an incredible mountain man who was subject to a legendary myth! 14:09

Uncover the Story Behind This Classic Cowboy Picture | Life on the Chuck Wagon Trail​

Apr 2, 2023

Take a step into cowboy history with us this early morning on the chuck wagon. We're going behind the scenes of our pictures to take into a glimpse of living Western history on the trail. 10:41

Killer Mountains​

Premiered Apr 3, 2023

19:11

Larry Hedrick recounts the best organization, best researched, best financed, and best supplied search for the Lost Dutchman mine by Private Investigator Glen Magill.

The story of the search for the lost Dutchman Mine is a fascinating one that has captured the imaginations of treasure hunters and adventure-seekers for over a century. The legend of the lost Dutchman Mine centers around a rich gold deposit in the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, which is said to have been discovered by a German immigrant named Jacob Waltz in the late 19th century.

The search for the lost Dutchman Mine has been going on for decades, with many people dedicating their lives to finding the treasure. One of the most notable searches was led by a man named Adolph Ruth, who disappeared while searching for the mine in 1931. His body was later found, but the location of the mine remained a mystery.

Another notable search was led by a man named Barry Storm in the 1940s. Storm claimed to have found the mine and even wrote a book about his discovery, but many people doubted his claims.

The search for the lost Dutchman Mine continues to this day, with many people still dedicated to finding the legendary gold deposit. While the mine's existence remains a mystery, the story of its search has become an important part of American folklore and continues to capture the imagination of treasure hunters and adventurers.

Stocking the Chuck Wagon: How Life on the Trail Changed in 200 years​

Apr 16, 2023

15:17

If you want to uncover some history of the Old West- stick around for this video. We're showing you life on the Texas cattle drives of the1800s and how the chuck wagon has changed, and how it's stayed the same.

Earthquakes and Superstition's Gold​

Premiered 12 hours ago

9:48

Uncover the fascinating link between earthquakes and gold in the mystical Superstition Mountains! In this captivating YouTube video, we delve into the intriguing relationship between seismic activity and the presence of precious gold in these majestic mountains. Join us as we embark on an enlightening journey, exploring the geological phenomena that have shaped the region's rich history of gold mining. Discover the secrets hidden within the earth's crust and unravel the mysteries surrounding this unique connection. Prepare to be amazed as we unravel the intricate tapestry of earthquakes and the allure of gold in the enchanting Superstition Mountains. Don't miss out on this captivating exploration that combines science, history, and the allure of hidden treasure!

Walt Gassler, Did He Find the Lost Dutchman Mine​

Premiered Jun 3, 2023

9:10

Join Larry Hedrick as he shares the captivating tale of Walter Gassler's relentless pursuit of the elusive Lost Dutchman gold mine. Embark on a thrilling journey spanning 50 years, as Gassler's quest entangles Bob Corbin, the former Attorney General of Arizona, and Tom Kullerburn in a web of intrigue and adventure. Discover the twists and turns of their search for Gassler's camp and the legendary treasure. Will they ultimately uncover the long-lost gold mine? Find out in this gripping narrative.

The Legend Continues​

Premiered 12 hours ago

13:46

Welcome to our channel! In this video, Larry Hedrick will delve into the captivating tale of the Lost Dutchman mine, an enduring legend that has captured the imaginations of Americans for generations.

Join us on a journey through history as we uncover the mysteries surrounding this fabled treasure. The legends speaks of an elusive gold mine hidden deep within the Superstition Mountains of Arizona, rumored to be discovered by an enigmatic figure Jacob Waltz known as the Lost Dutchman.

Throughout the years, countless treasure seekers, adventurers, and historians have embarked on perilous quests in search of this mythical mine. But the story of the Lost Dutchman mine is more than just a quest for riches—it is a tale steeped in adventure, danger, and the indomitable human spirit.

In this video, we explore the origins of the legend, examining the various accounts and those who have searched for it, we piece together the fragments of history to shed light on this enduring mystery.

Whether you're a history buff, an adventure enthusiast, or simply someone intrigued by legendary tales, this video promises an unforgettable exploration of the Lost Dutchman mine. Subscribe to our channel to stay tuned for more fascinating stories and join us as we unravel the my Welcome to our channel! In this video, we delve into the captivating tale of the Lost Dutchman mine, an enduring legend that has captured the imaginations of Americans for generations.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@mysteriesofthesuperstition6793/videos

The Demise of Bill Downing​

Premiered 15 hours ago

4:11

Join us as Arizona Historian, Marshal Trimble, recounts the gripping tale of how the notorious outlaw Bill Downing met his demise at the hands of the legendary Arizona Ranger, Billy Speed. In this captivating narrative, delve into the thrilling events that unfolded in Wilcox, Arizona, as justice collided with lawlessness, leaving an indelible mark on the Wild West's history. Stay tuned for an enthralling journey through the frontier days, filled with courage, danger, and the pursuit of justice in the untamed landscapes of Arizona.

Kochera's Gold​

Premiered 9 hours ago

17:25

Welcome to "The Legend of Kochera's Gold" - an epic adventure that will take you on a journey through time and mystery!

In this YouTube series, we'll deciphering ancient maps, and piecing together clues left by generations of treasure hunters. Together, we'll follow the footsteps of intrepid explorers and unlock the secrets of the past.

What Happen to the Dutchman's Gold​

Sep 4, 2023

7:39

The evidence is undeniable: the Dutchman existed, and his gold was undeniably real. But what became of this treasure?

The Mystery of Music Mountain​

10:45

Join our host, Larry Hedrick, as he takes you on an incredible journey into the heart of the Superstition Mountains. Larry recounts a 40 year old tale of his adventure, where he unraveled the mysteries surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine. Embark on a thrilling helicopter ride to the summit of Music Mountain, nestled deep within the Superstition Mountains, and witness how Larry pieced together the intricate clues that could lead to this legendary treasure.

The Mighty Superstition Mountain Mystery​

2:12

How the Silver king Mine was Found with Jack San Felice 2.0​

11:52

Join us on a captivating journey through time as historian Jack San Felice takes us back to the thrilling discovery of the legendary Silver King. In this exclusive interview, Jack shares the riveting story, bringing to life a piece of history that has remained shrouded in mystery for generations.
The Silver King, a name that sparks curiosity and intrigue, has a remarkable story that you won't want to miss. Jack San Felice, renowned historian and an expert in the field, unveils the secrets and circumstances behind the finding of this extraordinary treasure.
From the painstaking research this conversation will shed light on the people and events that led to the unearthing of the Silver King. If you have a passion for history, treasure hunting, or just enjoy a good story, this is an episode you won't want to miss.
Be sure to like, share, and subscribe for more intriguing tales from the past. Join us on this extraordinary historical adventure, and let's discover the hidden secrets of the Silver King together.

Wyoming’s Deadly History | The Spring Creek Raid of 1909​

Nov 5, 2023

10:35

Wyoming history is rich in the stories of pioneers and tragedy out on the plains. In this video Wyoming historian Clay Gibbons shares the history behind one of the most historical events in Wyoming's history of the Spring Creek Raid.

The History of Goldfield Mining District with Clay Worst 2.0​

9:36

Clay Worst, the proprietor of the Old WASP Mine, offers an intriguing glimpse into the captivating history of the Goldfield mining district.

Death on the Mountain with Clay Worst 2.0​

9:10

Explore the intriguing connections between the 1960s, the Superstitions, Weavers Needle, Jesuit Gold, the Lost Dutchman gold, and elements of murder and mystery with Clay Worst in this captivating story. Uncover the fascinating ties that bind these historical and mysterious elements together.

Ted DeGrazia's Millions in in Hidden Art​

7:27

Explore the captivating narrative of the concealed artistic journey of Ted DeGrazia as recounted by Larry Hedrick. Delve into the updated account, featuring fresh insights and revelations about the hidden artistry of this remarkable individual. Join us on a journey through DeGrazia's artistic legacy, unveiling new perspectives and stories that add depth to his creative connection and love for the Superstition Mountains.

This RICH Gold Mine Was An Old Indian Chief's Secret Mine​

Nov 25, 2023

3:52

Back in 1858-1860 the Fraser River Gold Rush was running full steam. Miners coming into this area headed up to the Cayoosh and Bridge River areas looking for placer deposits. Earlier prospecting parties of Chinese around Bridge River basin were driven out by another miner prospector, Chief Hunter Jack, who himself had a secret placer mine somewhere in the region which many believed to be in upper portions reaches of Tyaughton Creek. A prospector named Cadwallader looked for the outcroppings on the creek that is now named after him and this creek later to be the site of the richest hard-rock veins in the region.
The district was one of the few bright lights in the BC economy during the Depression. In a seven-year period in the 1930s, the mines of the Bridge River produced $370,000,000 in gold.

Like to read:
You can read about this gold rush at: http://lostmines.net/bralorne-mine.html

Hiking into Danger​

12:56

Dave Guggisberg delves into the perils of hiking in the Superstition Mountains, emphasizing the importance of adequate preparation for the challenges one might encounter. In this talk, he shares compelling examples of individuals he has rescued on the trail, highlighting the critical need for awareness and readiness in this rugged terrain. Join us as Dave imparts valuable insights to ensure a safer and more informed hiking experience in the Superstition Mountains.

They Only Got 20% Of The Gold​

Located in Grass Valley, this mine was discovered by accident by George Roberts who was a lumberman, and that while he was surveying some trees in the area, he happened to glance at his boots and noticed tiny gold flakes on them, but this gold he couldn’t pan it out for it was embedded in quartz.. The only way to get at it was dig it up and crush the rock. But this was very difficult for the time and a new and efficient method of extracting the gold from the quartz was in dire need. Seen the difficult task George sold his rights to the land for a mere $350 in 1851. Little did he know he was quite literally standing on a gold mine . George couldn't have known that in a mere 13 years, by 1864, the mine would already have produced one million dollars worth of gold.

Lots Of Gold Here --- BUT There Was ONE Thing Lacking!​

Dec 16, 2023

This camp is located about half way between Ely and the Utah border. Unlike a lot of Nevada mines, this area became known as placer mining camp and in fact this camp Nevada's richest and longest-lasting alluvial gold mining camps.

It was in 1872, that two prospectors, James Matteson and Frank Heck found gold in this area. These two prospectors staked over 100 claims in this quartz veined area but in the end never did anything with them as the gold values just weren't high enough to turn a profit and the claims were abandoned. Then in 1877 a prospector by the name of John Versan came through the area and starting looking for alluvial typs of gold between a couple of gulches and struck it rich. In a very short order there were over 300 mining claims staked up and once word got out there was a stampede to this area. Within 5 years by 1882, the town of Osceola had a population of more than 1500 people. The town had several stores, a butcher and blacksmith shop, a restaurant, and a couple of stages running regularly to Ward.

You can read about this gold rush at: http://lostmines.net/osceola-nevada.html

4:22

The Old WASP Mine by Clay Worst​

Explore the captivating narrative behind the historic WASP mine as its owner delves into its rich history, intricately connected to the Mammoth Mine and its hidden treasures of gold. Uncover the untold stories of the Superstition Mountains through this fascinating journey into the past.

10:20

Arizona's Gold Rush with Marshall Trimble​

Explore the captivating tale of Arizona's Gold Rush with Marshall Trimble, the official state historian. Uncover the authentic narrative behind Arizona's larger-than-life Gold Rush as Trimble delves into its fascinating details.

15:43

They Poured 200 Pound Gold Bars --- Here's Why.​

Jan 20, 2024
It was in 1894 that three men where out in the Gila Mountains looking for some lost cattle that had gotten away. That night they set up camp and moved a bunch of rocks to build a fire pit and in the morning they noticed gold in those rocks. After looking around the side of the mountain the noticed a gold vein not far from where they were camped.

The men decided to stake this area and once the three men got back to town he men filed seven mining claims on 130 acres of land around this newly discovered gold vein. Of course as usual it didn't take long before word out and soon a man by the name of Charles Lane came around wanting to buy these claims. Charles was a big time miner and had the Harqua Hala gold mine which was up near modern day Salome. Charles ended up buying these claims for $150,000.

You can read about this gold rush at: http://lostmines.net/fortuna-mine.html

4:41

The Secret of Apache Springs 2.0​

Embark on a updated nostalgic journey with Hank Sheffer as he leads you on a captivating exploration of Apache Springs, now recognized as Hieroglyphic Canyon. Join us for an enriching hike into the past, where history and nature converge in this scenic adventure. Experience the beauty and wonder of Hieroglyphic Canyon through the lens of a seasoned Host, as we traverse the trails and uncover the secrets of this historical gem when Apacheland Movie Set was still here. Lace up your boots and step back in time with Hank Sheffer on a hiking experience like no other!

14:54

Flying Pesos with Marshall Trimble 2.0​

Feb 12, 2024

Join Marshal Trimble as he shares another captivating tale from Arizona's rich history, this time focusing on a pair of hapless train robbers.

11:44

The Gold Was Almost ** 100% PURE ** -- But There Were BIGGER Problems Here!!​

It was in the summer of 1862, that prospector John White stumbled upon a treasure trove of gold in the creek waters of what is now Bannack. This marked the inception of a new era for Bannack and the State of Montana, portraying itself as one of the final frontiers.

Initially named Willard Creek by the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1805, this creek got it's name changed in 1862 to grass hopper creek because of all the Grasshoppers in the area.

Word of this gold discovery spread like wildfire, sparking a new goldrush reminiscent of the California Gold Rush in 1848. A makeshift mining camp sprang to life almost overnight, with miners residing in tents and slapped together huts.Some men slept in caves dug out of the banks along the creek. The gold from Grasshopper Creek boasted an unprecedented purity of 99-99.5%, compared to the typical 95%, attracting a steady influx of prospectors. Bannack quickly became known as the New Eldorado of the North and had over 400 prospectors by October.

Thank you for watching! If you enjoy videos like this, why not consider becoming a subscriber.

You can read about this gold rush at: http://lostmines.net/bannack-montana....

5:54

Return to the 70 ft Shaft​

Feb 22, 2024

Join Larry Hedrick and our field crew as they venture back to the mysterious 70-foot shaft, believed to be the elusive Lost Dutchman mine. Experience the thrill of descending straight into the depths of this hidden mine shaft nestled within the rugged terrain of the Superstition Mountains. Don't miss out on this captivating journey into the heart of mystery and adventure. 16 mins long.

Hieroglyphic Canyon with David Guggisberg​

Join David Guggisberg on a breathtaking hike through the stunning landscapes of the Superstition Mountains! Nestled near Apache Junction, Arizona, the Hieroglyphic Trail offers a perfect blend of accessibility and natural beauty.

Embark on this 4-mile out-and-back journey, boasting a gentle incline suitable for hikers of all skill levels. Whether you're a seasoned trekker or just starting out, this trail promises an enjoyable experience amidst the captivating scenery.

Located conveniently near Phoenix, Arizona, the Superstition Mountains beckon adventurers with their allure. As you explore, marvel at the wonders of The Lost Dutchman State Park and discover the charm of this popular destination among locals and tourists alike.

Don't fret if the trailhead seems nestled within a residential area; follow the signs, and you'll find yourself on the right path to an unforgettable hiking adventure. Join me as we discover the wonders of the Hieroglyphic Trail in the heart of the Superstition Mountains!

For more information on the Hieroglyphic Trail click here https://earth.google.com/web/

17:04

These Mines Were Promoted Like Crazy And Then --- ** THIS ** Happened!!​

This is a video about the short lived California mining town that became a ghost town almost over night. It was a town that lead was treated as gold by promoters.

There's an old saying that was quoted by Mark Twain about gold mines and gold mining. The quote went like this: "A Gold Mine Is a Hole in the Ground with a Liar at the Top". In later years the Detroit Free Press was noted as quoting, "A mine is a hole in the ground. The discoverer of it is a natural liar. The hole in the ground and the liar combine and issue shares and trap fools." Some would say that both of these quotes couldn't be more true of an example of the story of Leadfield. However as you will see, others beg to differ.

Most of these old mine camps were not the places you would have wanted to invest any money or even buy property. Sure, there's a few old towns that were known for their boom, but there are a whole lot more that are known for their bust and this town was just one of those kind of towns. In fact this town barely lasted a year.

It all started way back in 1905 when a couple of prospectors discovered some good looking ore here. This was around the time same as when the big discoveries were happening on over in the Bullfrog mining district just across the border in around Blair and Rhyolite Nevada. Anyways these prospectors grabbed some ore samples and took them to Rhyolite to get assayed and found out that this ore was grading around 40 bucks a ton. Not bad for back then so the two miners set up a company called the Death Valley Consolidated Mining Company and even sold shares in the operation. However it didn't take long before these couple guys found out that after all the mining, transportation, milling and smelting costs, there was no money left and so after about six months the company closed up shop and they abandoned the claims.

7:47

You can read about this gold rush at: http://lostmines.net/leadfield-califo...

Back
Top Bottom