Local Windows Network Help

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Voodoo

Yellow Jacket
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I'd throw this out there as a lot of you have real IT training as opposed to my make it work experience. Anyway, I have a local network for work that is pretty old and we only have it so our main software can run off a local server. The server is running older software like Windows Server 2008. We only have 3-5 local computers but all can access the server via the local network. Usually it asks for the local machine log on and password and then no problems. Had an older Windows 7 machine that one of their updates made pretty much unusable. So I bought a new Windows 10 machine. Can see all the computers on the network just fine and got sharing turned on for the folders we need (usually just some photos). However, when I try to click on the server from the new machine it tells me access denied. I know its probably a setting on the server but I can't figure it out. Any thoughts or help? The other two machines with Windows 10 seem to work just fine but they are running a bit different version somehow.

The error is "the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer".

Last edited:
Got it... its a janky workaround but I got it figured out. Had to create a new user on the Server with the exact same User name and logon passwords. However, this was complicated by the Windows 10 saying they changed my name when really it kept the original as I typed when setting up the computers. These bastagaes are pushing me to Linux.

Back
Top Bottom