Memory Lane

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The World We Knew: July 1974 (A fast-paced chronicle of the sights and sounds of the '70s)​

Mar 18, 2024

Another two-for-one day for this series, so look for Aug. '74 as well. (Note: In this video I had to use live versions of Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown and Hues Corporation's Rock the Boat in order to get past the copyright cops.)

10:39

The World We Knew: August 1974 (last episode; read text below for important note)​

Mar 18, 2024

NOTE: Starting next week, The World We Knew will become The America We Knew: Same format, all USA (As if it wasn't 99 percent all-American anyway!) Forthcoming episodes will begin to increase in length as the proliferation of VCRs allows for a more detailed record of a culture that is nearly 50 years gone. PS: Has anyone else noticed the sound muted during the Rich Little/Jack Benny clip?

9:19

The Prime Times Of Our Lives (Phase 2, Part 3): The 1959-60 Network TV Schedule​

Mar 21, 2024

In Phase 1 of this series, we looked at the U.S. TV schedule on particular nights. But a lot of shows were missed. Phase 2 will cover those shows as we spotlight entire seasons from 1957-58 through 1973-74 in 18 chapters.

13:24

Once Completely Necessary, NOW OBSOLETE​

Mar 22, 2024
Some things were so necessary that it would be hard to believe they could ever disappear. But time has a funny way of erasing things from our daily lives. These objects are very familiar to all of us, but in most cases they have been obsolete for years, so let’s take at some of the things that were commonplace way back when, but are now obsolete.

9:26

Growing Up in the 1960s Means You Remember This​

Mar 29, 2024

#recollectionroad #nostalgia #1960s

Growing up during the 1960s meant that you experienced first-hand some of the most important moments of the last 100 years. The decade was also full of details that made your childhood special, and some of which make you yearn for the past. This video revisits some of my older videos, compiling them into a longer, more comprehensive presentation. So, please enjoy this compilation of If You Grew Up in the 1960s…You Remember This!

16:29

Fads From The 1990s You Forgot About​

Apr 5, 2024

The 1990s was the decade when GenX came into their own. As these young people grew up, they latched on to many things that have become ingrained into the 1990s. Clothing trends were big in the 90s, but so was this new thing called the internet, and who could forget some of the memorable ad campaigns that made us laugh. So let’s take a look back at some of the fads from the 1990s that you may have forgotten about.

8:29

The America We Knew: November 1974 (a weekly chronicle of our shared cultural past)​

Apr 8, 2024

Elton's got John and Mike's got Moscow. (Don't ask; just watch.) Plus the usual commercials, trailers, top-40 songs and more. Some viewers have asked why these videos aren't longer. The main reason is I'm limited by what's available. I have to find clips that are specific to the month. If I see a commercial online that is tagged "1974" but not "November 1974," I can't use it. I'm also limited (only slightly) but copyright restrictions. Also, I don't want to repeat the same old "yeah, the economy and the energy crisis and the Cold War are bad" images, for fear of redundancy. Having said all that, as the months progress more material will become available (especially after wider use of VCRs). I know this because I'm already way ahead, and future videos will be so long they'll have to broken into two or three parts. I promise you it's going to be awesome and the end result will be the best series by far I've ever run on YouTube.

10:56

Air Travel Used To Be So Different

Apr 12, 2024
Flying to a destination used to be a luxurious experience that was full of upgrades. Pretty much everything has changed– the boarding process, the amenities, and even the freebies, flyers were offered a completely different experience from the moment they got to the airport. So, let’s take a look back at how flying the friendly skies has changed over time!

15:54

Things We Collected in the 1970s​

Apr 19, 2024
All of us find various things to collect over the years. Some may be useful in some way, while others are just plain weird. The 1970s especially offered up some pretty unique collections for both kids and adults that you probably haven’t thought about in years. So, let’s rewind the clock and revisit some of these popular collectables from the 1970s.

9:31

Back
Top Bottom