Meth Brewing Has Its Interesting Side

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

More video. It was three houses that got destroyed. One completely leveled and two others burned down, with damage to several others.

Six people, including a 12yo boy and his dad, were killed.

Two of the people killed were city employees. One was the town’s community development director, who owned the home where the actual explosion occurred, as well as the borough manager. I'm not sure, but I think that person lived in one of the other homes. The husband of the community development director was hospitalized with burns over most of his body.

Apparently those houses were built on land that has an abandoned mine under it, and the area is surrounded by oil and gas wells. Some of which are producing, while some are abandoned. Some are as close as 1000' to the homes and a pipeline runs behind them, but so far there is no direct evidence connecting those with the explosion.

It also said that the people whose home blew up had been having some type of issue with their water heater.
.....but I don't think that was any water heater blowing up.

Whatever it was, it had a lot of fuel to create a big fire ball like that, and if it were nat gas leak you'd think someone would have smelt it long before enough leaked to do that. Especially on a Saturday morning when lots of people are home. If it was gas, it'd have been reeking to high Heaven. I've read that takes about a 2% concentration of nat gas in the air for it to become explosive. A person wouldn't have been able to stand being inside of a house with that amount of gas in the air. Only way someone might, is if it were done intentionally.

More video. It was three houses that got destroyed. One completely leveled and two others burned down, with damage to several others.

Two of the people killed were city employees. One was the town’s community development director, who owned the home where the actual explosion occurred, as well as the borough manager. I'm not sure, but I think that person lived in one of the other homes. The husband of the community development director was hospitalized with burns over most of his body.

Apparently those houses were built on land that has an abandoned mine under it, and the area is surrounded by oil and gas wells. Some of which are producing, while some are abandoned. Some are as close as 1000' to the homes and a pipeline runs behind them, but so far there is no direct evidence connecting those with the explosion.

It also said that the people whose home blew up had been having some type of issue with their water heater.

Whatever it was, it had a lot of fuel to create a big fire ball like that, and if it were nat gas leak you'd think someone would have smelt it long before enough leaked to do that. Especially on a Saturday morning when lots of people are home. If it was gas, it'd have been reeking to high Heaven. I've read that takes about a 2% concentration of nat gas in the air for it to become explosive. A person wouldn't have been able to stand being inside of a house with that amount of gas in the air. Only way someone might, is if it were done intentionally.

I did not know the backstory. Your explanation does seem to indicate intent, since natural gas requires a minimum of 5% concentration. Everybody would be up and puking long before that concentration got through the house. If sumbody was suspicious of foul play, they should right away test the place for diatomacious earth residue (dynamite medium) or TNT fingerprint.

Late Edit Add: I got to thinking, and went back and looked a that frozen picture. You are right about the concentration. The brisance of that blast was very high; note that the clip ends before the last shingle stops fluttering down from the great height it had been hurled to.

Last edited:

Natural gas is only smellable...because of a chemical added by the gas compay.

In its "natural" state...it's odorless.

This is troubling. The Greenies are gonna jump on this....gas wells...BAD!

Natural gas is only smellable...because of a chemical added by the gas compay.

In its "natural" state...it's odorless.
Yea, I know. Odds are strong it was gas from their own hook up, not the nearby wells. I was just paraphrasing the article I posted.

Over the years there's been a few houses in my area that have gone boom, and those were all due to gas leaks in theiir pipes.
There was one meth lab I know of that blew up too, but that only blew the windows out. The house itself was left intact.

Used to work with a guy who was a volunteer fireman part time. He was telling me about having to go to a week-long seminar on how to make the stuff. I asked him why my tax dollars were paying him to learn to cook meth and he explained that cooking meth is a really nasty chemical reaction. He said they learned to make it in case they ever had to respond to a residence and they walked in and everyone was unconscious, they had to be able to determine just where in the process the whole experiment was. Said that was the only way they could safely shut it down. Also told me that any place that was used to cook it needed to be condemned because of all the poisonous stuff the process left behind.

Used to work with a guy who was a volunteer fireman part time. He was telling me about having to go to a week-long seminar on how to make the stuff. I asked him why my tax dollars were paying him to learn to cook meth and he explained that cooking meth is a really nasty chemical reaction. He said they learned to make it in case they ever had to respond to a residence and they walked in and everyone was unconscious, they had to be able to determine just where in the process the whole experiment was. Said that was the only way they could safely shut it down. Also told me that any place that was used to cook it needed to be condemned because of all the poisonous stuff the process left behind.

The chemicals they use are not that bad. Unless you are huffing them. Perhaps the cooking has gotten more advanced but there are not that many chemicals that should condemn a house.

I suppose a whole bunch of sulphuric acid in the air is gonna corrode all the metals but still, repairable.

The chemicals they use are not that bad. Unless you are huffing them. Perhaps the cooking has gotten more advanced but there are not that many chemicals that should condemn a house.

I suppose a whole bunch of sulphuric acid in the air is gonna corrode all the metals but still, repairable.
What I've read that the issue is, is that chemicals used in the cooking are released into the air and end up getting absorbed by porous surfaces in the home and that they'll test positive for a long time. That the cooks tend to keep the house closed up in order to contain the tell-tale smell, also doesn't help.
Edited to add:....and it prolly makes a difference as to how long the house was used to cook meth in. A house that was only used for a short while shouldn't be as contaminated as one that was used for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom