New Laptop Brand Shocked Whole Computer Industry - Framework Laptop - Teardown And Repair Assessment

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goldhedge

GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score

New Laptop Brand Shocked Whole Computer Industry - Framework Laptop - Teardown And Repair Assessment​

Imagine. An upgradeable laptop.

I'm just getting my head around NON-upgradeable laptops. I was out of the new market for them since 2010. Bought a couple of used ones from 2012-2015. All upgradeable - and needy, they were well-used. One had a current leak - the PO said it needed a new battery since the battery wouldn't hold charge more than a week. But pulling the battery out let it stay charged indefinitely.

Not worth digging into on a $75 CL buy.

Now, six months ago, I bought an Asus "education" model netbook. It's well-put-together and it's sturdy. It ALSO was nearly impossible to run the version of Windows it shipped with. So I loaded Linux in it (a job and required help from a computer shop) and it runs fine. Although even Linux uses a large percentage of RAM resources, and there IS no upgrading.

Nonetheless it's stable and doesn't crash - it's a keeper.

I'm guessing that these things are non-upgradeable, not JUST to sell more - because the computer OSs are changing so fast (addition of spyware, government backdoors, etc, that soak up resources) that whole machines become obsolete in a few years. Moreover they're beaten up - dropped, gotten wet, etc. I doubt more than a single-digit percentage of owners ever upgraded.

Although I'm one, having doubled RAM in my two Toshibas.

I prefer Dell Latitude models with i7, 16gb RAM and a 256gb SSD.

That's an interesting idea but limited RAM and high cost make it a difficult sell. If I can spend half the price and get twice the performance with a IBM based laptop, I think I'll have to do that regardless of the upgradeability of this one.

The modular and interchangeable ports is a fantastic idea. I hope all manufacturers adopt that feature.

I've had many laptops before that lacked a port I needed at various times (hdmi, vca, etc for attaching projectors).

Back
Top Bottom