Newest pics of comet ISON

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I heard about this. Apparently, this thing has the potential to be the most awesome comet in hundreds of years, visible to the naked eye in most cases. If this comet lives up to the original hype, it will be visible in broad daylight.

I heard about this. Apparently, this thing has the potential to be the most awesome comet in hundreds of years, visible to the naked eye in most cases. If this comet lives up to the original hype, it will be visible in broad daylight.

and the size of the full moon... (by the end of November, we won't have to wait long)

Talking about astronomical experiences, I had my best in 1999 when we had a total solar ecclipse on August 11th: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_11,_1999
. It happened at about noon and I was staying at the highest ski resort in Europe at 3900 meters (12800 ft). Its on a glacier in Zermatt, Switzerland. You can ski there all year.
I took my girlfriend at that time (we were just 17) and spent the whole day on that mountain. One of the best days of my live.

This is how it looks in summer (not my pics), we stayed at the top of the mountain behind the station of the ski lift:

09.jpg

15.jpg

summer-ski-map.jpg

You can locate it here on google maps ("gobba di rolin"):

http://goo.gl/maps/kg5ZX

Last edited:
Not 100% sure of the name of the one that came around back in '97 I think (hail-bop)? I used to have to do perimeter checks at night, and I spent most of the time staring at that thing. It wasn't as big/bright as the moon but it was easily the next biggest thing in the sky. They are pretty awesome to watch, especially when you can see them with the naked eye. I also remember around that time we were getting some wicked northern lights shows, don't know if it was a coincidence or not.

I remember Hale-Bopp and Kahoutek [sp.] years ago, and neither was as spectacular as the build-up[ led us to believe. I also wnet out and saw them. Ison is set to be pretty awesome, that is unless it gets ripped apart by the sun, which of course would suck.

OK, not sure I believe in prophecies, but a really big comet, with a major war in the middle east, a potential world wide economic meltdown....holy cow!

got adopted when I was about eight. Somewhere around 1968 or so, the adoptive parents took us kids camping in Big Bend National Park in west Texas. I remember our "dad" waking us up in the middle of the night to see a comet that stretched across the sky. I've no idea what comet it was, but the image is burned in my mind. (Of course, us kids were pissed that we had been awakened and didn't care about the comet). But I remember it to this day. Smart man, too bad the adoption didn't work out. He left her a few months later cause of her drinking.

Back
Top Bottom