Peru Cracks Down Hard On Mine Protests, Offers Talks

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/06/01/peru-cracks-down-hard-on-mine-protests-offers-talks/

Peru has a miserable record when it comes to controls on illegal mines. These guys dump TONS of mercury waste in to local watersheds every month. It has to stop.

@ swissaustrian, thanks for publishing this. I had read only sketchy details of these troubles before.

@ ancona, YES, the illegal mining going on not only dumps mercury and other crap into their environment, but apparently the illegal gold mining is EVEN BIGGER than the coca (precursor to you know what) growing an initial processing industry. From a recent Mineweb article.

I used to import Peruvian green coffee (unroasted coffee beans) before getting into bearings a bunch of years ago (late 1980s). I went to visit the cooperative in Tingo Maria, at that time Sendero Luminoso was running wild over the place down there. Peru is POOR, I could very easily understand how it was impossible to stop the drug trade in those mountains, when the USA could not stop marijuana production 50 miles from SF...

Way up there in the Andes it is really hard for the Peruvian government to really control things. Illegal mining = mercury being dumped into the environment. Illegal drug manufacturing = sulfuric acid and gasoline.

Peru is a wonderful country, but they DO have many problems, some of these are not pretty...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…