Private Mint Products

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

aaronthomas28

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been stacking silver for a little over a decade now. Up until recently, I mostly bought the lowest premium silver I could find, usually constitutional silver or 10 oz bars or generic silver.

Recently, I've come to appreciate private mint products that carry a premium. Not talking about Silver Eagles. What turned me on to this category was Silver Shield, or I guess some call it Silver Bullet Silver Shield. I'm trying to find more private mints that have eye pleasing designs, have a history of increasing in premium as time goes by, and have really low or limited mintages. I'd prefer the past products already be in demand, but I'm good with lesser known mints as well.

I don't mind paying a premium, even for proof strikes, which with Silver Shield can start out at 2X spot price or more, as long as the premiums have a history of remaining level or rising afterwards.

But searching for more private mint items like this, has turned up with zero matches so far. I've seen some beautiful products, but they tend to almost immediately drop in premium after initially offered, with a small percentage of the line that might rise later on.

So I'm here, hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I've caught the beautiful silver bug and have been turned on to semi numismatic items, but I can't seem to feed this new addiction satisfactory lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Numismatic premiums are fickle. I focus on bullion value. When I consider private mints, I want something that is widely known/traded/liquid.

I try to keep my stack, by weight in 1/3 each of junk silver, govt. bullion/coins/bars & private coins/bars. For junk silver I don't have many silver dollars as the premium on them is just ridiculous, so I have 1/2's, 1/4's & dimes. I don't buy any of the 40% silver stuff. Govt. bullion I buy mainly ASE's, CSM's & the Canadian 10ozt bars, but I do buy a few others here & there too. For private stuff I buy a wide variety, most of it I try to get with a low premium, but I will occasionally splurge on a coin or bar I see that I just really like even though I know the premium on it is ridiculous. I like having diversity so that if the SHTF & only one type of silver, lets say junk silver becomes the standard, I haven't bought exclusively govt bullion or private bullion & will at least have some silver that is easily accepted, even if not all of it is.

Very nice. My stash is similar in that I have approximately 1/2 gov issued monies, Eagles, Maples, Libertads, Brittanias, Philharmonics and 90% dimes, quarters and half dollars. I've got a couple silver dollars but I've had them for over 50 years. I don't buy them because of the same reason as 11C1P, premium is too high.
The other half being 10 oz bars, 5 oz bars, 1 and 2 oz rounds.

Lately I have gone into 10 oz silver bars and some private mint silver rounds. However in the past I had put aside some junk silver u.s. coins.

The only thing that I am somewhat concerned about is having money tied up in silver rounds from various mints, especially if things go south. Granted there is the underlaying value of the metal but without a government mint mark I feel that there would be no consistency for those coins.

Any comments.

A very tiny % of the population actually owns any precious metals so if there is a run to the metals like some predict they will end up taking any and all that they can get their hands on. IMO the premium paid for Gov mint stuff just isn't worth it.
I saw one interview that said when silver ran to 50 the coin shops were paying 35. So anyone paying 35 or more right now is SOL if the price stops at 50 again in the future. At best they will break even. With premiums so high right now, now might actually be a good time to sell the high premium stuff and buy some lower premium stuff

Lately I have gone into 10 oz silver bars and some private mint silver rounds. ...

Just to be clear, are you talking about private mint bullion - like silvertowne bars or scottsdale bars/rounds or private mint collectables like proofs or limited edition sets that carry a numismatic premium?

I've always was and still am steering clear of private mint proof collectables. I don't see a large following for them like there is for U.S. coinage. Is there a large following for private mint limited edition sets? If they are produced silver wouldn't they be considered the same as rounds or is there any fundamental value beyond silver rounds are priced or valued. Besides Proof to my way of thinking relates to governmental coins.

Further, I don't understand premiums being placed on private silver or gold bars. Anyone can say a bar is a limited issue but anyone can say their coins or bars are limited is scope, but where's the proof.

I understand precious metal pricing. I'm just a doubting Thomas until I learn more about any subject.

Ok. Private mint bullion is perfectly fine IMO. There is a liquid market for it same as government mint stuff.

When physical got scarce in the run to $50 last time, premiums on ASEs ran up higher than private mint stuff, but the premiums were high for both buying and selling. I think a lot of the public looking to buy once FOMO sets in look for ASEs as they aren't very savvy about the bullion market.

Back
Top Bottom