Q: (physical) gold more volatile than silver??

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bushi

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Unfortunately, I've never kept any historical records of my local coin shop prices on :gold: & :silver:, but, from following them both closely (daily/couple of times per day), it seems to me, that the traditional wisdom of "gold as a store of value, silver for a little bit of trading, being more volatile", from my anecdotal evidence (again, I haven't collected historical data on this, since I started following metals), simply seems NOT TO BE THE CASE. Every time I put recent price figures into my spreadsheets, silver performs better to the upside than gold (=more volatility, as expected/popular wisdom dictates), but to the downside, it actually tends to hold BETTER than gold (=less volatility when going downwards). Both expressed as percentages of the price, of course, so it accounts for the price difference between the two metals.

Does it ring true with you, folks?

Absolutely true Bushi. When gold rocks a little higher, silver nearly always makes a larger percentage move. The same can be said about the downside.

ancona has it right - silver does do the downside pretty well too, remembering selling much of mine in the high 40's...

You're not comparing phyz this to paper that, are you?

no, I just put into my inventory spreadsheet my local dealer's daily prices, and in it, my DCA'ged silver never seems to go down by so much percent, as gold sometimes does. In fact, it rarely goes red at all, and if, than only slightly

But thinking about that some more, it probably is just lucky timing of my silver purchases - I timed it quite well (with the help of many of you - thanks again :)). So my "statistical evidence" might be skewed, because of my low entry point(s). But again, I wasn't bad with my gold entry, as well...

I am not sure what to make of it. Oh well :)

Back
Top Bottom