Quiet Quitting & Acting Your Wage

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

Steaming to Bamboola
Benefactor
Reaction score

How to 'act your wage,' according to 2 millennials who did it: 'If a company is paying you, let's say minimum wage, you're gonna put in minimum effort'​

Story by insider@insider.com (Juliana Kaplan) • Yesterday 10:43 AM

• Workers are quiet quitting and acting their wage by doing their jobs as written — and nothing more.
  • Two workers who have quiet quit and acted their wage said it's about setting boundaries.
  • It's also crucial to exert control where you can at work, and make it work for you.
A boss tries to give her employee, Veronica, a stack of papers to work on overnight.

"Respectfully, Susan, I'd rather spend time with my family," Veronica replies. Then, she declines a 6:30 pm Zoom meeting; it's outside of her working hours.

Veronica and Susan aren't real. They're characters played by 30-year-old content creator Sarai Soto, whose TikToks on quiet quitting, acting your wage, and asserting boundaries at work have racked up millions of likes and views.

"People just really feel seen, they feel heard, they feel like someone's standing up for them," Soto told Insider. "I can't tell you how many messages I receive of people being like, okay, I know your content is funny and provides this comedic relief, but I'm telling you, although it's exaggerated, I've been through those exact same scenarios."

Workers are quiet quitting and acting their wage by doing their jobs as written — and nothing more.
That was always my problem. I have a good work ethic. I felt I was 'part of the team' and would go the extra mile.

Never got recognized for the effort and caring I put into whatever company I worked for and I worked for a lot of them.

Jack of all trades, master of none?

Come to realize decades later that these 'companies' could care less about you. You're a widget. Someone easily replaced.

Nothing new in this. Back in the Carternomics era, where minimum-wage was basically all that was out there...we had a saying. Minimum wage for minimum work.

Of course, that probably came from disgruntled Russians under the USSR: "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."

It destroys the work ethic. I know it did, in many ways, with me.

But that is what comes of Financializiation, Globalism, and other money-pfukkery. It's human nature at work.

The control freaks never learn a basic truth: It's far easier to wreck a working system than it is to build a better working system. But they gotta learn, and the learning experience will be painful for all of us.

If everybody worked on commission in a competitive market there would be more tasks completed and better service with less belly aching.

If everybody worked on commission in a competitive market there would be more tasks completed and better service with less belly aching.
But that's not the POINT. The POINT is to empower the unions and PAC bagmen for the Party of Control Freaks.

And most of the lifers in that party, couldn't hold a real job - even at minimum wage.

I remember the days of quiet working when folks didn't spend half the workday browsing social media, personal emails/texts or news.

Here's a story you don't hear everyday.

Studebaker Corporation closed their American manufacturing plant in South Bend, in December 1964.

They did NOT go bankrupt. They were not forced into it. It was a strategic retrenching (very unwise, as it turned out) but the impetus was, the United Auto Workers contract had expired on that date, and discussions were at loggerheads.

Studebaker, which had lost money for 20 of the previous 22 years, was diversifying out of automobiles. The plant was to be left sitting empty...later, the Avanti Motor Company was formed and used a corner of it, but that wasn't clear or known then.

So. All the wealth was provided by the UAW members who were being exploited by Studebaker, hey? Why didn't THEY...JUST KEEP IT RUNNING?

Studebaker managers and owners, kept it running. At a loss, but they kept it running. The reason FOR that loss, were generous union contracts postwar, which first, cut into the company's budgets for design and development; and then, into marketing. Compliance with government regulations was about to become a factor.

The "generous contract" argument had some merit. Their much-smaller Canadian plant was kept operating, and WITHOUT economies of scale (production run of about 22,000 cars a year) Studebaker's automotive division began making money. Not much, but it was profitable. IT was closed with the passage of the National Highway Safety Act in 1966 - which launched the regulatory monolith and put small operators at a huge disadvantage.

So...again...with a hot car like the Avanti being produced, and a fine granny-mobile like the Lark set up on the line...and since it's the WORKERS who put all the value into a product...why did the workers of South Bend not just keep on making cars?

‘Quiet quit’ product of disengaged supply chain workforce​

Gartner execs relate employee turnover up 33% from before pandemic​

John Kingston
Tuesday, May 09, 2023

ORLANDO, Fla. — Employment numbers in the supply chain post-pandemic are revealing a tremendous amount of turnover and lack of employee engagement, according to the keynote speaker at this year’s Gartner Supply Chain Symposium.

Caroline Chumakov, a director and analyst at Gartner, spoke to a packed opening session Monday of a meeting with attendance soaring past 3,200 and asked the crowd: “Will we leave a supply chain that lights up careers, feeds global economics and sustains our planet?”

More:

Arestaurant chain in California enlisted a fake priest to take confession from workers, with the supposed father urging them to "get the sins out" by telling him if they'd been late for work or had stolen from their employer, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

The restaurant owner, Che Garibaldi, operates two Taqueria Garibaldi restaurants in Sacramento and one in Roseville, according to a statement from the Labor Department. Attorneys for the restaurant company didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The alleged priest also asked workers if they harbored "bad intentions" toward their employer or if they'd done anything to harm the company, said the agency, which called it one of the "most shameless" scams that labor regulator had ever seen. The Diocese of Sacramento also investigated the issue and said it "found no evidence of connection" between the alleged priest and its jurisdiction, according to the Catholic News Agency.

Hey, he does some reading!

James Michener, in his epic Texas, had Santa Anna desiring a fine nubile young maiden of the region one weekend. So he told his aide-de-camp to find a man who looked like a priest.

As Michener told it, the aide found a priest - and Santa Anna blew up. "Find me someone who LOOKS like a priest, you filth!" he screamed.

So the aide found a sergeant and dressed him in clerical garb - taken from the real priest. Thus, with the fake priest, Gen. Santa Anna went to the father of the girl, and ordered that he submit his daughter in marriage.

Of course the father was outraged, but there were the guns; and here was a priest. At least it was not sinful, and the girl would be married well.

So the fake marriage went off, and the wedding night, and the girl was arrested next morning and deposed to a whorehouse.

It's always rewarding when we find business owners are literate.

Back
Top Bottom