Russia and South Africa to form platinum cartel

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Russia and South Africa, which together control about 80 percent of the world’s reserves of platinum group metals, plan to create a trading bloc similar to OPEC to control the flow of exports.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-seek-to-create-opec-style-platinum-bloc.html

“We’re not really controlling the market,” she said in an interview in Durban. “We want to contribute without creating a cartel, but we want to influence the markets.”

“We are now forming working groups to work out joint actions on this market,” and aim to coordinate export volumes, Donskoy said. “There will be a meeting in the summer to discuss mechanisms in detail.”

I think this is bullish for platinum, 80% of the market. I guess they will be managing supply to make sure the price stays as high as possible a bit like De Beers with diamonds.

Really surprised it took them this long to do something like this.

swiss, PMBug,

Yes, it will be interesting to see how this all works out. It seems kind of hard to see how Russia and South Africa could make such a cartel work out though.

Pt: the metal for optimists!

And just today I read that there is research in nanotechnology to find cheaper materials to do the catalyst work that platinum and palladium now do.

Back
Top Bottom