Saturday Rant

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
My last three or four weeks have been a bizarre journey through a thick fog of incompetence, mismanagement, confusion and general malaise. I’ve been working on a negotiated procurement with a member of a “protected class” of federal contractor, which is evolving in to a quest for sanity among the insane. There are times [with this being one of them] when I question whether or not I am the sole survivor of a lost race; a remnant of an earlier time when things were taken at face value because those presenting them were in a position of trust and relative power, and because those same people were presumed to have earned their positions as a result of career focused education, hard work and dedication. Apparently this is no longer the case in our convoluted business world. Years and years of social engineering coupled with an even longer period of government intervention, precipitated by whining special interest groups, and tiny minorities of the population demanding a leg up against the evil white man, have irretrievably altered the landscape. In this new, modern and enlightened age of business it is no longer a prerequisite to have a complete education, nor is it requisite to possess any level of sincere motivation to excel on any particular level of your chosen field of endeavor, the sole remaining requirement is that you must be able to propel yourself on two legs, utilize oxygen and speak a little bit of English.

The 8-A program is a contracting program for minorities which allows minority firm to simply negotiate procurements up to a maximum value of three million dollars per project, with no upper limit of gross total procurement. This means there is zero competition, close to zero percent chance of failure and very nearly guaranteed profit on every single project for a ten year period. Once your ten years are up it doesn’t mean you’re out though, because you can enter in to a 51% - 49% teaming agreement with a newly christened 8-A contractor and do it for ten more years using the Mentor-Protégé Program started by the SBA. You can also form a completely new company by simply seeking out a minority partner and go for ten more years.

Here is where the rubber meets the road. A month or so ago, I was approached by my partner who is the president and majority owner of our firm, asking me [well……directing me really] to call a woman he met to discuss helping her out with required submissions surrounding a project she negotiated with the Army Corps of Engineers, and to hold her hand through the process of document compilation, interpretation of specifications and organization of her project. When I inquired about renumeration and timelines I was told we were doing this pro bono, and that if this project went well we would form either a joint venture or a teaming agreement with this firm so we could negotiate a significant portion of our work, thereby removing a lot of the doubt currently surrounding our prospects for survival in the worst contracting drought in the history of the earth. On its face, it looked too good to be true, but I dove in head first anyway.

Armed with a phone number and a name, I rolled down to my office and made the call. The voice on the other end of the line was articulate, seemingly intelligent, and excited yet something didn’t quite feel right. After fifteen more minutes of introductions and small talk I requested all of the documents I would need to get going on submittals and work plans. A short while later I received about five e-mails with various attachments. Going through and trying to organize the information, I started coming across poorly written plans with glaring punctuation, grammar and spelling errors. Once I went through the submittal register, which is the list of required plans, documents and cut-sheets /I needed to gather, write and submit, I realized why we were enlisted to help. This woman had absolutely no clue what she was doing and was already two months in to the process yet had accomplished nearly nothing, with the notable exception of completely pissing off her Contracting Officer and his technical representative. Her plans were all total disasters and needed to be re-written from scratch. I went over to the old mans’ office and before I could say a word he held up his hand and said, “I know……I know”. So, I asked him when he was planning on telling me this woman was a clueless idiot, who by all that is right should never have been given a business license in the first place, and should definitely have never gotten in to government contracting which is the most paperwork intensive field of contracting outside the nuclear industry. He paused for a minute, kind of looking down at the floor while slowly shaking his head in somber acknowledgement. After a very long pause he said that although the project wasn’t even started it was already completely fucked up, but that if we could somehow un-fuck it, she would have few alternatives to working with us, at least for the foreseeable future, and that was the shot in the arm we could use to assure our survival. I was now read in completely, yet somehow even more uneasy than I was when I walked in.

Keeping in mind that I was born without the capacity to tolerate incompetence, stupidity, needy people and bullshit, I forced myself to return to the task immediately at hand and begin producing the quality documents demanded by the Army Corps of Engineers, but not before deleting all of the half assed shit-quality garbage this woman sent me. Now, I’m that team player who doesn’t like to define straight and impenetrable lines of responsibility, believing that there are some tasks which are best delegated to other people and tasks that I must do myself. I proceeded to devote the next four weeks of my life to supplying the best work I have ever produced. When I finished the final manual, the Contractor Quality Control Manual, it was with a palpable sense of relief and a sense of pride in my accomplishment, and that my Team managed [I thought] to un-fuck what came in to my office as a completely knotted up ball of fuck. Hopefully a month of seventy five hour weeks would be worth the effort.

During the entire time, when I had a question about some portion of the work scope or needed additional information of some sort, I would call the 8-A contractor and she would simply talk in circles, playing the “I just need some help” card, or using the race card saying, “Well, the Contracting Officer is Puerto Rican, and I can tell he hates black people and is just making it harder on me than he should be”. As time wore on, I stopped calling her because it became clear that not only was she incompetent, she was a chronic whiner who blamed her own failures on others while all the time believing with all her heart that she was somehow being held back because she is a black woman. By the time I stopped calling her, we were only a few days away from completing this mountain of paperwork. The finished packages weighed in at sixty pounds. I delivered seven work plans, each one bound and tabbed to include table of contents, outline and appendixes. In addition, there was an Environmental Compliance and Protection Plan, Storm-water Pollution Protection Plan, Hazardous Materials Abatement and Control Plan, Site Specific Accident Prevention and Health/Safety Plan, Contractor Quality Control Plan, Trenching and Shoring Plan in compliance with the Trenching and Shoring Trench Safety Act and a Solid Waste Management and Waste Reduction Plan in compliance with LEED Silver Rating requirements along with sixteen bundles of MSDS sheets, product cut-sheets and product compliance data sheets.

I personally loaded all of this material in to my truck and drove it over to the Orlando office of the Army Corps of Engineers and dropped it off at the receiving desk. I got my time stamped receipt and rolled on down the road, feeling pretty good about the world, and that maybe this would work out after all.

An hour later I returned to the office and got right back in to work I had neglected while working on the submittals I just delivered. Near the end of the day, I heard the old man in his office getting uncharacteristically shitty with someone over the phone. The conversation was pretty one sided, with the old man dominating whomever was getting a world class ass chewing. The noise subsided and I heard the phone being slammed back in the cradle. A few minutes later he was standing in my doorway with that “killing look” in his eyes, sort of searching for words. After a full minute, he says to me, “You are not going to believe this shit…..not in a million years will you guess what just fucking happened, and what that fucking cunt has been doing”. I don’t care who you are, that was pretty chilling and I immediately felt sick in my stomach.

Apparently, our new 8-A friend held back a few important details when she came begging to our office with outstretched hands asking for “a little bit of help”. While she told us the negotiations for the procurement had just been completed, and she was only a few weeks behind schedule on her paperwork, in truth she was actually finished negotiating last August, and was given SIX time extensions to get her paperwork right. To add insult to injury, this fucking retarded numbskull kept re-submitting her poorly written, grammatically incoherent seventh grade quality work plans, and had them repeatedly and summarily rejected even as we were compiling the same documents for her. Naturally, she failed to mention any of this to me or the old man during the forty thousand phone calls she made in complete and total panic nearly every day, multiple times a day. She also failed to mention that she wasn’t actually a general contractor, but that she hired a man to work for her and qualify the company with his license, but not his assistance; a rubber stamp man.

On to the meat of the matter. When the old man got her call that afternoon, she essentially told him that the government was cancelling the contract using a “Cancel for Convenience” clause available to the government as a sort of catch-all bail out clause. It allows them to pay the contractor their expected profit on a job and for nearly any reason imaginable, to cancel it. When he asked her why they cancelled the project, she came clean to him and told him the whole story. To add insult to injury, we were on the list of participating sub-contractors she submitted to the government to identify all participants in the negotiated work. This is submitted for reasons of accountability and [supposedly] to reduce the possibility of fraud and collusion in the procurement process.

The next morning, we got a call from the Contracting Officer who wanted to let us know he received the submittals we prepared and that although the procurement was cancelled he wanted to acknowledge that we had provided the cleanest and most complete set of submittals he ever received, and the he hoped to work with our firm in the future. It was nice to get a compliment such as that from the USACE, but it was also small consolation for the effort we put forth for this woman. The failure of this program to weed out incompetent idiots such as this one simply cements my view that set-asides serve only to remove viable contracts from the stream of competitive contracting and hand them to people who are unable to compete in the real world not as a result of discrimination, either real or perceived, but as a result of incompetence; pure and simple.

Having wasted an entire month on this idiot, and having spent twenty thousand dollars in salaries and resources, we walk away with absolutely nothing but the knowledge that this woman will be given chance after chance after chance, and each time she fails it will still be my fault.

So, I’m sitting in my barcolounger mindlessly watching NCIS and eating Stouffers microwave ready macaroni and cheese while simultaneously contemplating the significance of this whole fiasco. It is becoming increasingly clear that when the lights go out, there will be far more people with no hope of survival than I previously though possible, even in the most dire of circumstances. When I made my assumptions, I only included the entitled class that receives visible assistance such as SNAP, TANF, WIC etc. I completely forgot the folks who walk among us appearing outwardly to be successful, educated, hard-working people, for which without the direct subsidy of set-aside policies utilized by the government would likely have a job at the local Wal-Mart or Home Depot. I won’t get started on the myriad programs and set-asides out there folks, but it is tens and tens and tens of billions of dollars annually.

As each successive generation of government educated automatons enters society, it seems that America gets just a little bit less civilized and a little bit more socialized as the dominant theme becomes more about egalitarianism rather than individuality and original thinking. The more we out-cast free thinkers and freedom lovers, the closer we all come to the end of empire. :flushed:

Got preps?

Sorry about the selfish rant.

Mark- these personal rants are more frustrating then the usual. Feel free to rant anytime.

sir,

your rant submittal remains incomplete.
please furnish full details of all calls and correspondance with the approved federal contractor.

Or get yerself a Puerto Rican passport and a serious sunlamp ....... :rotflmbo:

Your karmic balancing account is looking very much like pm prices, like a coiled spring just itching to do a moonshot. :cheers:

Actually, your first line reminds me of most of my working life. The only time it was good that others were idiots was when they then had to hire us (for money, damnit) to pull their asses out of the fire, which we did with so little effort, we kinda had to sandbag a little bit to not overly shame them.

I can relate completely to this. Been there, almost the exact same place, before I started just running my own business(es). Sucks, eh?

I've been spending a lot of time lately talking to what I perceive to be the better guys on G+ (free vid chats guys). One of them mentioned the other day - and we all seem to agree - that when the guys left like us die, it's frigging over for the planet. Sure there are a few younger ones that are going to be ok - but the fraction is so tiny, it won't, no way, be enough to "make the world go". And this is without some of the issues you mention, like not even doing our language.

Most these days - if the inet went down so they couldn't look it up, they frigging wouldn't know their own name or address or phone number, and if they can look something up, but it looks hard, they shine it on "can't do that". Or you hear "I won't do that - it's beneath me" - yet they can't even do the "beneath them" stuff, so they must be using some new definition of the word. Hell, none of them can even change their own oil...or hang a picture without serious thrashing. They can just about get a phone or fondle-slab to kind of work...but then they use it to tweet and go on facebook...

The event horizon is fast approaching on a number of levels it seems. The blind raising and leading the incompetent for X many generations and pretty soon you got nothing worth having. Did all these parents really believe the school indoctrination system would take care of their kids just fine, so they could remain clueless partiers?
Obviously.

I like living in the boonies for this reason. I can control better who I have to see and hang with - I'd go nuts or worse in a city where I was constantly exposed to "average". Nice to be able to pick and choose from among only the best - like here.

I wish I lived in "the boonies" as well DC. Although I currently reside near one of the most technologically advanced institutions on the Earth, I am also quite near some pretty rough and uninhabited terrain, within which there exists a natural bounty of food and if needed, fuel. That said, Florida can be pretty hard on a person as far as weather goes, so if you want to live rough you had better be made of stainless steel and leather. The mosquito population alone can make grown men cry, because I have seen it myself. However, I can think of few other places with the generous and predictable rainfall, rich black soils [in the flood plain anyway] and wildlife such as we have here in Florida.

As you said, I too know a lot of people who have never even seen a dewey decimal cabinet, and therefore would not know how to use it to access information at the library. Most kids now in their late twenties cannot conceive of a life without the net and cell phone service, much less a life without A/C and constant electricity and hot water.

I have ranted about this very thing many times, and I still say that something approaching fifty to sixty percent of the population will be dead within six months of the balloon going up. It's an ugly statistic, but I believe a valid one.

ancona, Helige Scheisse!

I had forgotten what working with .gov was like. And the people I dealt with (early 1980s for almost 3 years) were pretty rational and hard-headed (national security and all)... Your chronicle of yet-another-disaster is a warning to all the rest of us fortunate enough to be OUT of that system. We will get it, screwed by a system/New World that was built on cronyism and monumental incompetence...

I have a friend who has had a decades-long string of bad luck, being on the front-lines of .gov, minority preference and just general incompetence mixed with a generous dose of self-righteousness... A toxic stew if I have ever seen one.

The end may indeed be near, but I have felt that way for a loooooong time, so I have doubts that my prediction here is worth even two cents.

DCFusor has it right, at least for him. My problem is to convince my wife, and really more importantly, our kid that things are dire. Our kid (26 and working) even has her tales of the same ineptness and arrogance that you have (but on a lower scale). Yet, she is young and has little idea. THat is the problem for us, how to insure the best for our children, a very tough nut to crack if the family does not want to go through the massive efforts to properly prepare...

Alas, I have no good answers. We have a "Plan B", but there is substantial risk in boarding the plane for Peru in or just before a SHTF... At least we have a reasonably stable business down there.

Plan "B" for us is some 3/4" plywood, a Hilti gun with plenty of fasteners, a pile of lead, a bigger pile of beans and enough iron to propel said pile of lead nearly four times the speed of sound, at sea level, to a destination [predetermined of course] of our choosing.

In addition, the ability to "make" my own electricity and hot water and a large garden with a few fowl makes for some comfort on a little bit higher level.

ancona, Helige Scheisse!

I had forgotten what working with .gov was like. And the people I dealt with (early 1980s for almost 3 years) were pretty rational and hard-headed (national security and all)... Your chronicle of yet-another-disaster is a warning to all the rest of us fortunate enough to be OUT of that system. We will get it, screwed by a system/New World that was built on cronyism and monumental incompetence...

I have a friend who has had a decades-long string of bad luck, being on the front-lines of .gov, minority preference and just general incompetence mixed with a generous dose of self-righteousness... A toxic stew if I have ever seen one.

The end may indeed be near, but I have felt that way for a loooooong time, so I have doubts that my prediction here is worth even two cents.

DCFusor has it right, at least for him. My problem is to convince my wife, and really more importantly, our kid that things are dire. Our kid (26 and working) even has her tales of the same ineptness and arrogance that you have (but on a lower scale). Yet, she is young and has little idea. THat is the problem for us, how to insure the best for our children, a very tough nut to crack if the family does not want to go through the massive efforts to properly prepare...

Alas, I have no good answers. We have a "Plan B", but there is substantial risk in boarding the plane for Peru in or just before a SHTF... At least we have a reasonably stable business down there.

The other day at dinner, my eleven year old made the comment "It's pretty amazing how quickly conversations change." I asked him what he meant. He said his honors math teacher (whom I dislike, but she is a good math teacher) brought up the 2nd amendment. They talked about that a little, then Jon said she said "they should ban guns, Americans don't need guns". THAT pissed me off, and I went into the other room to email her (she emails the parents weekly re: progress). I asked my son what, exactly, did she say? He was already sobbing and shaking and told me "I can't remember". I said "you just told me at the dinner table. Now you can't remember?" NOW he was really upset; although he didn't say so I know he felt like he was being placed in the middle. But he was more upset than this one incident would justify. After an hour of sobbing and shaking and crying, we finally determined that he is worried about the different things he is being taught at school conflicting with what he is hearing at home (example Abraham Lincoln loved blacks and was a hero (AL detested blacks and thought them to be subhuman etc., etc.)). It was an accumulation of a lot of things (you're going to take me out of school and homeschool me) we're going to move to the Philippines and stay there, all of your friends are prepping for something bad, etc etc. Finally his two older brothers calmed him down and explained to him its just a plan B, you need to chill. But it was very upsetting to both me and him. Another thing he is worried about is getting a job after college. (Believe me, he didn't get that from me). We talked (thats a long time ahead; and you can do a lot of things besides going to college). Fortunately his older brother, who got two degrees four years ago and has been unable to find ANY work in his field since, had something to say about that. Now I do remember the now 28 year old having an emotional type breakdown at the same age, so perhaps its part of growing up.

Oh, and I still don't think our teachers, especially math teachers, need to be advising kids that Americans don't need guns.

mini rant over.

This trend of ultra liberal teachers cramming their fucked up political views down our children's throats has got to be stopped. this is exactly the reason I do without many things that I would like to have, and otherwise could afford. I send my kid to private school, and a conservative one at that. The principal is a lifetime member of the NRA and a member of our outdoor gun club. All of her teachers are second amendment enthusiasts to say the least. Last spring, a teachers aide was telling her class that guns are only wanted by criminals, drug addicts and murderers or something to that effect, and that only the police should have weapons. Well, needless to say, she was not completely aware of the schools position on firearms, constitutional guarantees or in fact, freedom itself and it's innate value within the construct of our society

My daughter and four of her friends "conspired" to organize the students in to several groups. They then engaged this woman in lengthy conversations about guns, abortion, and several other hot-button topics that the leaders at the school teach in opposition to the "public school" agenda. They took copious notes and made a number of tape recordings, then presented the information to the senior school staff, to include the principal. Needles to say, she no longer works for our school. These kids took it upon themselves to challenge a woman that if left to her own devices, would have brought her soviet style child indoctrination in to a place where it was most decidedly not welcome.

Score one for the kids, who did this on their own by the way. I only just found out about it a few months ago at an open house pot-luck dinner we have four times a year.

Last edited:
in a perfect world

we dont need gunz :paperbag::flushed:

hadnt considered the Hilti gun though .........

My trusty DX450 with black cartridges may not be accurate but it could make someone cry :cheers:

Last edited:
Oh, and I still don't think our teachers, especially math teachers, need to be advising kids that Americans don't need guns.

You should be addressing concerns over political discussions in math class to your local school board or the school administrator at the very least. That's not supposed to happen and the teacher needs to hear it from "on high".

You should be addressing concerns over political discussions in math class to your local school board or the school administrator at the very least. That's not supposed to happen and the teacher needs to hear it from "on high".

what a sticky wicket. Bing lived under martial law for seven years. She absolutely does not care about the US constitution. I asked her "doesn't that bother you?" "Unnn". "You mean no?" "No." (Of course, I suppose when you have lived for years where possession of a gun is the death penalty, and everyone has a gun, it's hard to take some things seriously).

Difference in perception: my Blackwater neighbor two blocks away said "I have a .308 that I guarantee you can hear at your house. Soon its gonna be gunfire and brass in the street" (he's looking forward to it). My wife said; "I hate that sound. I listened to it for years, and at night the cannons would start.".

Jay, Thanks for your post about:

It is terrible how our schools and many of the teachers mislead our kids now. I've seen it myself in our local schools, as most of you have probably seen it in the schools near you too.

I absolutely, totally guarantee that I know of ONE math teacher that would never, ever say that to students.

From experience, I wish every history teacher would:

Just clearly and precisely tell all their students EXACTLY what the Bill of Rights say . . .

Just clearly and precisely tell all their students EXACTLY what the Constitution of the USA says . . .

Just clearly and precisely tell all their students an accurate description and the reason of every historical event of the USA. There are too many events of history that kids don't learn correctly. (And that is a gross understatement ! )

I wish every teacher would just tell students the truth about things and let the students research and decide for themselves about everything !

I can't begin to imagine what your wife experienced when she lived under martial law, but I think I can understand why she feels a certain way about the constitution and guns.

Ancona, I wish my two kids had gone to a school like your daughter is in. She and her friends handled that situation you mentioned above great ! But my son and daughter have learned much more about the truth of many things in history by now, fortunately . . .

I've seen people talk about the sad state of our school systems now, but when I read Jay's and Ancona's posts above, it finally got me riled up a bit . . .

I wish I could have posted my comments earlier this afternoon, but . . . I was busy running from one school to another today, tutoring students . . . in math.

Last edited:
disclosure:
there are a bunch of teachers here (small town of Burnet, Texas), academically rated "failure" school system by the state)) that ARE teaching the children the above; I have had some most interesting conversations with my 17 year old senior. "Daddy, I think my chemistry teacher is a doomer also like you cause when the smart ass behind me asked why we don't use gold and silver for money she went crazy and started ranting about all the things you say about fiat currency and fractional reserve banking, etc." (My take on it is that she can actually read). A lot of conversations like this, also a bunch of our friends are home schooling their kids (a bunch, which I think is why Jon was "frightened" of being home schooled, cause he though he wouldn't see his friends again). And a lot of anecdotal stuff like the drug dogs hitting on kids pick-up trucks at the high school cause they have a couple of loose .22 rounds in the cab.

Bebing is a teacher; she taught five years in the most remote province in the Philippines (you talk about whiney Americans, she had a four hour bus ride on Sunday night, then a nine kilometer walk up the mountain, to the school house where she slept on the floor for the week and then went back home Friday night. They gave her enough rice for the week, and at the end of the year, she gave her salary as a bribe to keep her job). After five years, her life was not improving, so she hired out as a DH for 100 a month on two year contract (the employer keeps the first year to pay for the plane ticket). After six years of this, she married me. I would like to think that she was in love with me, but she told me it was two years before she ever loved me. (I had to be certain you were sincere). Most likely I was the only viable option out of a suck life (I met her in Singapore, I was trying to start a business in Russia).

She flat out refuses to teach in the US (American kids are brats) and she makes far more money working for herself anyway (I can make in two hours what Burnet wants to pay me for a day). She also refuses to homeschool, so Jon's "safe". But that doesn't mean he doesn't get an earful when he's at home.

Right now he's in the other room with his 28 year old brother, who loves him and devotes much time with him. They sound pretty well adjusted to me....

a good illustration of the untenable situation Bebing found herself in is the movie "Between Heaven and Earth" in which the rebels come at night and "tell" you what you will teach in school and the government comes during the day and "tells" you what you will teach. Luckily for her her brother was fighting with the rebels at the time, so this story has a kind of good ending. (But it necessitated her leaving the country). When I met her, she was "Brenda Gonzales" (she had four passports) since you can't leave the Philippines if you are an unwed mother. It was six months before I learned her real name.... :)

Jay, your wife is definitely one amazing, tough AND hard working lady. I wish the best for her and your family :)

Now, I'll stop ranting . . . but I always enjoy your posts.

I'm afraid I'm too chickenshit. (to stir up the hornets nest). I see it as an unstoppable snowball rolling downhill at this point. Which is why upwards of 2 million people are estimates to homeschool now.

I have ranted about this very thing many times, and I still say that something approaching fifty to sixty percent of the population will be dead within six months of the balloon going up. It's an ugly statistic, but I believe a valid one.
It is very sad, but it might be just it: the reality kicks in one way or another, and unfortunately, unlike we are all told, not everyone will have the RIGHT to live through this. Only if you can EARN your way through the maze, some way, you are going to make it.

Hell, maybe we humans as a species, NEED this kind of a purge from time to time, to maintain our sanity as a society - once we got rid of all the natural predators that could keep us in check...

Sorry to read about your misfortune ancona, it reminds me very well why I don't want to be involved in any way with government-sponsored projects anymore... Been there, seen that (in my relatively short career), and the level of sheer arrogance, displayed by government officials, is staggering. MAybe this whole cesspit NEEDS to collapse, and globally, so the survivors could build something sane on the skeletons of the society build of insanity, that we are currently living in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom