Silver mining costs

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You are talking about "some sources". Please share the sources.

I think the 5-7 $ level is very low. Silver could then crash to 10 $ easily, perhaps even to 5 $!

Sounds pretty scary.

LARGEST SILVER PRODUCER: Facing Losses at Current Prices

The largest silver mining company in the world just came out with their first half financial results and the figures were dismal. Fresnillo’s first half profits declined a staggering 60% compared to the same period last year

Fresnillo received the following realized prices for gold and silver during the first half of 2013:

Silver = $24.67

Gold = $1,471

However, at current metal prices the largest silver producer in the world could be experiencing losses the second half of the year.

http://srsroccoreport.com/largest-s...ver-producer-facing-losses-at-current-prices/

GREAT, I mean GREAT interview with SRS Rocco's Steve St. Angelo, how the current mining costs look like, what is the future outlook in the environment of peak oil/peak Net Available Oil Exports, etc.:

some quotes (from memory)

He spends half of the interview on the global energy picture, to frame the discussion about mining. He touches on the shale ponzi (and I think everyone who believes the story about "America energy independence in 2020-2030, America new Saudi Arabia", should listen to that interview carefully, as well)

EDIT: RE: shale "shell" game, some hard numbers (I've put together a data table, from what the guy is talking about:
For Bakken field:

Attachments

• bakken.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Bushi,
I agree that the shale fields have been way over hyped and the current craze will end badly for many investors. The best way to strip oils from these rocks is by crushing and retorting [heating] the shale, which the enviro-nazis have spent billions to prohibit. an open pit mine could conceivably produce tremendous quantities of highly desirable kerogen, but folks like the Sierra Club always clog the projects up for years and years in court, so proposals never go anywhere. One group proposed a mine at a high quality deposit which would utilize rail cars to transport the rock to the south. A huge mirror array would capture heat to use in the retorting process, eliminating any demand from the grid, but they still put the kibosh on it. Some shale produces kerogen that is such high quality that it is nearly useable immediately in diesel engines.

Last edited:
ancona,

I think we REALLY need to reset our economy/infrastructure/way of living - if the only alternative to changing it, is to rip open our planet's surface, and open pit mine for everything that we need, to "sustain" that sick, unsustainable model...

I mean, I can stomach open pit mining for copper and other things, that can be used & reused creatively, to build LASTING stuff - but open pit mining for coal, oil, fertilizers etc. - ie, for stuff we need, to simply BURN the hell of it, or flush it down from our crop fields into oceans? My gosh, speaking about waste...

And lets assume we do that, and we tap to the shales effectively - m'kay - where it leads us, in next few decades (at most) of compounding, exponential growth of energy use (that is required & built in into our current economic, social and technological paradigms?)

we need change of direction, and FAST

Last edited:
Thanks Bushi for the video. Here are some notes for those that might not have time to watch the video:

He talks about energy and oil up until about 18:25, then talks about "peak silver" starting at 18:25.

In 1880 Australia was mining silver at 2000g/ton, or~60 oz/ton.

The world's top six miners were producing silver at about 13 oz/ton in 2005, but by 2012 they were down to about 8.1 oz/ton.

World silver production was 787 million oz silver 2012, up from 757 million oz in 2011, so we have not yet hit peak silver.

Peak silver will likely happen before end of decade, possibly sooner, as soon as 2 years from now.

Mexico silver production down 10%. Mexico is the world's largest silver producer.

Cash costs are not a real measure of the profitability of the company.

The top 12 primary miners produce about 30% of worldwide silver per year.

Here is an another recent article by Steve where he talks more about the top 12 silver producers:

See website for full listing of charts:
http://www.financialsense.com/contr...ry-unsustainable-at-present-market-conditions

The world's top six miners were producing silver at about 13 oz/ton in 2005, but by 2012 they were down to about 8.1 oz/ton.
One thing to consider, that might be at first look counter intuitive, is that when price of metals rise, miners can and often do switch to less profitable veins/ores. This is because, at higher spot price, it makes it economically viable, to mine shite ore grades, yet still turn profits - all the while, preserving more valuable ore grades for a rainy day. Thus, one of reasons, why the reported ore grades were declining together with rising spot prices, might be above bias - to mine the lowest grade available, while still turning a profit.

It is not a sustainable trend, longer term, but we might see some better grades being reported, now when the price of pms went down so much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
The article below discusses declining ore grades from the top 6 silver mines. For these mines over the past several years, total silver output has remained in the ~120-140 million ounces per year band, while the ore grade has steadily decreased from 13 oz/ton to 7.6 oz/ton. With energy costs remaining high, this puts a strain on production costs in these companies.

The silver production from these top 6 companies represent about 20% of world silver production. It would be interesting to see a similar set of data for the other 80% of the world's silver production.

http://srsroccoreport.com/the-dark-.../the-dark-side-of-the-silver-mining-industry/

http://srsroccoreport.com/2013-full...p-primary-miners-real-cost-to-produce-silver/

Silver currently a better investment than gold?
http://www.fool.ca/2014/06/10/3-reasons-to-buy-silver-not-gold/?source=c75yhocs0040001

"Investors looking for a better yield would probably prefer Pan American Silver (TSX: PAA)(NASDAQ: PAAS) and its 3.9% dividend. Pan American also trades at right around its book value, has virtually no debt, and is sitting on $400 million in cash. The company is a terrific place to sit and wait for silver prices to recover."

My first question is how much silver have they sold forward, and at what price was it sold?

No-one really knows the real costs of mining silver and gold and I suppose the producers and dealers manipulate us all... they have the interest to push production prices up to sell us at a higher price.

They also have to keep going somehow cos if they are forced to cease mining, its often the end of that mines productive life .............

They can only swallow so much loss.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…